The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

People are actually hilarious if we are rebuilding you keep players like Miller and Boeser and you trade players like Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes because by the time this team would be ready to compete Hughes Pettersson and Demko will be ufas and will not want to sign with us. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

It is really annoying how JR keeps repeating that he understands the impatience of Canucks fans and wanting to win a Cup.

He doesn’t get it at all.  You can just see the responses to this trade as showing where the market is.

Most people are upset about acquiring an excellent young RHD because it cost us high picks.  An impatient fan base loves this deal.

Most of us know Hronek doesn’t turn us into a contender, and likely not even a playoff team.  Good player, bad timing.  Keep the picks and build a pipeline so you have a chance to actually compete in a few years and not just fight for a wildcard spot at best.

I think the more important question is, how patient do you think Petey and Hughes are? How long before 2023 draft class prospects become formidable NHLers? 

If you don't think Petey and Hughes will want to stick around then, might as well lean harder into the idea of a rebuild and sell Petey and Hughes now while their values are sky high. 

I just read the trade for Chychrun... WTF!!!!

The cost for Chychrun is barely more than for Hronek.

And Chychrun is by far the better player.

Hronek is not the optimal partner for Hughes... we needed someone like Schenn, who was 7 years younger and with more mobility.

Hughes needs a protector on the ice... not another small D partner.

Maybe Chychrun couldn't play with Hughes, but he could have formed his own pairing to complement the Hughes pairing.

Really feel management dropped the ball on this one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

It is really annoying how JR keeps repeating that he understands the impatience of Canucks fans and wanting to win a Cup.

He doesn’t get it at all.  You can just see the responses to this trade as showing where the market is.

Most people are upset about acquiring an excellent young RHD because it cost us high picks.  An impatient fan base loves this deal.

Most of us know Hronek doesn’t turn us into a contender, and likely not even a playoff team.  Good player, bad timing.  Keep the picks and build a pipeline so you have a chance to actually compete in a few years and not just fight for a wildcard spot at best.

It’s pretty clear JR is impatient for a cup because he knows at 74 this is his last stop and he’s projecting that on to fans who want nothing more than a proper rebuild instead of this never-ending “retool on the fly”.

This is terrible.  Yesterday I was cheering the fact that the day had finally arrived where we start a proper rebuild.  Well, it was enjoyable while it lasted.  

Fair or unfair, we just traded away a first and a high second round pick.  We traded away potentially 2 players that would have played at lower contracts for years to come.......possibly 2 higher-end players.  If we were a playoff team already, I wouldn't have minded this.  But we're not. 

Let's not forget that if Hronek plays well (and with Demko playing well), we also drop in the draft order.

A trade like this in 3 years would have made good sense to me.  Not this year though.  UGH!

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

And that really isn't a thing.  You use high picks to draft your core, which van has done.

Wrong. So wrong. 

Vancouver has a few players that might be good, but together they suck ball saxophones. They traded their goddamned captain to “make it work”.

Demko is always injured. Hughes is overworked. Petersson is sheltered. 

Is that the kinda core you want for a contender? Or are you saying boeser, ekman-etc and garland are part of the core. 

5 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Bro I think you are the only one here that is happy about this trade!!! 

Ask yourself, wouldn't it make more sense to conduct this trade during the off season when you have these picks for high depth draft since 2015!!! 

Add me to the list, I don't mind the trade at all.  The Canucks biggest need was a RHD who can move the puck, help with zone exits, and fits the age range of the core.  Hronek fits that bill and is a known commodity, not a mid round draft pick which may or may not pan out.  He is the 10th highest scoring right shot defenceman in the league this season and had the 2nd best +/- on the Red Wings.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I think the more important question is, how patient do you think Petey and Hughes are? How long before 2023 draft class prospects become formidable NHLers? 

If you don't think Petey and Hughes will want to stick around then, might as well lean harder into the idea of a rebuild and sell Petey and Hughes now while their values are sky high. 

I agree and have said as much repeatedly.  Once we missed the boat on trading Miller last deadline for assets and cap space that could have turned us into a fringe playoff team this year with actual NHL calibre prospects in the pipeline… I think we missed the boat on Petterson and Hughes in their club controlled years.

Why would Petterson want to sign here is there isn’t a light at the end of the tunnel or unless we way overpay him?  We could be faced with moving him as a rental next deadline.  Hughes isn’t much longer than that, nor is Demko.

If we traded them all for picks and prospects, we then have a critical mass of cheap ELC players coming in for 2-5 years and producing beyond their cap hits.  That is how you build a contender.

Perversely, whatever castoffs and bad contracts we take back in deals like this probably end up performing better in the standings than this capped out squad.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Defense is not bad. He's much better than his ''prospect profiles.' And he is not a prospect. Plays nearly 22 minutes a night, in all situations.

Starts 55% of his shifts in the defensive end. Scoring at a 55 to 60 point pace. Goals against per 60 is better than any existing Canuck D. Also reflects well on Detroit's team. He kills penalties, #'s also very good on the PK.  He is used and is absolutely effective in o=his own end. A bit high on turnovers, but not high % chances against.

Is he physical? He shows up. What he does not do is block a lot of shots with 54; about the same as Quinn Hughes. Registers well in the hits department with 97.  Which would be behind only Schenn on the Canuck D!  Now our leader? Not the puts people on stretchers or fights. He is not big; but not small either at 6' 190 lbs. I guess he will have to be better at blocking shots on our team?

There is not anyone on our D with his results defending.  Not OEL, certainly not Myers, also better than Bear, Schenn, Burroughs. Is he Tanev? No. 

I think this trade would have looked great in summer. When it did not impact Bedard sweepstakes.

He might settle back down to last year. Or maybe he's an elite defensman just breaking out. We went long, Yzerman went short. I like his chances playing with Hughs

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Come on guys... Romanov got the 13th overall. Hronek is soon much better than him. We needed a young RHD badly to play with Hughes. They are expensive to get. This pick could turn out to be a jordan Schroeder ffs. 

Or a Nicklas Jensen, or a Hunter Shinkaruk... 

:ph34r:

On the bright side, Hronek apparently ranks right there with Hughes in the fancy “WAR” stats or whatever. He’s a righty.  Same age. Elite on the PK this year.

We have 2 legit D men in their prime. 

Petey is ascending to superstardom.  A boat load of quality wingers to choose from.  

Demko is back.  Silovs looks good.  Tocchet has the team playing a lot better. 

Hopefully we don’t turn it around *too soon* but hey could be fun to watch next year.

Really need a LD who can PK.  aaaaand a 3C. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • elephant 1

5 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Wrong. So wrong. 

Vancouver has a few players that might be good, but together they suck ball saxophones. They traded their goddamned captain to “make it work”.

Demko is always injured. Hughes is overworked. Petersson is sheltered. 

Is that the kinda core you want for a contender? Or are you saying boeser, ekman-etc and garland are part of the core. 

I'm with you on horvat, believe me.  They made a huge mistake picking miller.

That said, they've done what all teams do......use their high picks to draft their core players and they'll get another core piece this year.

This was a good deal, just done at the wrong time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1