The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Quinn is a great player. He needs a solid, strong, and capable defensive defenseman to play off of and rely on to hold down the zone. 

This is correct.  There are 6 Dmen that dress for every game.  So, Hughes and Hronek will be on different pairs, with 2 solid defensive Dmen paired with them.  The confusing part for some is that they think that OEL and Bear are going to be part of that top 4.  Bear will be on the 3rd pairing at best where he belongs, or they may ship him out and bring back Schenn for the bottom pairing.  OEL will be bought out in the summer to free up the $7 million in cap space for next year, which also seems confusing to some who think we don't have any cap space now.  Once OEL is bought out we will go hard after Ryan Graves in free agency to partner Hronek.  As for Hughes partner, I haven't figured that one out yet.  I need more time to think...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

So many people worried about two players.lololololololololololol

but but ep and hughes lolololololol

wouldnt be fair to the sedin… 

huh sounds like a decade ago refool the refools. 

Whose worried?

The point is some here are suggesting go Buffalo and turn to garbage bottom of the league for a decade.

The other side is saying that is ludicrous when you already have Petey and Hughes, no brainer you build around them.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hardly.

How many cups have you won and how long have you been a storied exec in the NHL? That’s what we have at the helm now…perhaps you should pay attention room a bit more?

The only tone deafness is on you if you truly are surprised that this is what they are doing when this is what they have explained they will be doing all along.

So you're a fan of this move or do you find the directionless flailing appealing?

• elephant 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know....they made some good trades and signings, but they also hung on to Miller, Chytil, Kakko, Fox....

They didn't draft fox, they traded for him.  All their young players are support players, at best.  The core they win with are older, veteran players that they traded for or signed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Next season that I think we will see.

Trade Boeser for POJ or Pettersson to fill out 2LHD?

Hughes - Myers

- Hronek

OEL - Livingstone.

It’s a pipe dream but maybe we get out of Myers and it’s more like:

Hughes-Bear

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Livingstone

that might actually be half decent.  Management has a ton of work to do, though. 

5 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'll have to agree to disagree.

I was all for a rebuild when had just drafted Petey and Hughes, but that ship has sailed now. I'm now prepared to wait and see what current management can do out of a sub-optimal situation. 

You don't start a rebuild when you have a forward who has now proven himself to be the best we've had since Bure and a defenseman who is already the best this franchise has seen in its lifetime. 

Fair enough 

but with what prospects and with what depth are we even close to a playoff team which should never have been a goal in the next 3 years. Capped  out and well below average with no signs of changing. 

By trading them for a windfall of picks and prospects 

like other teams do when they clearly know that one or two players aren’t going to be enough to win a CUP. 

we should keep them and surround them with b grade fixes and wonder why we can’t even make the playoffs then act surprised when the leave because the team sucks. 
oh wait that’s what we’re doing… sure has been working great. 

who do we play in the first round again? 

So your ultimate plan to win a cup is to trade Petey and Hughes for picks and prospects?  That's it?  That's the plan?   :lol:

Man, this place provides some really good entertainment for me.  I am so happy to be a part of the CDC family...   :)

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

The more this trade is marinating in my mind the more it angers me.   No doubt he’s a great defencemen but his contract ends this year and will be a RFA.   He’ll ask for 8.   The only reason yzerman traded him to begin with 

why do we trade away our picks.   Ontop of that this guy is injured!!!!!

19 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Ok, I had time to reflect on this trade and I still hate it so bad. It just drives against the grain of everything I think the organization needs to be doing. 

Unloading assets and cap while adding picks is what's supposed to be happening. Allvin is like cab driver with a broken hud so he's trying to read a google map from his flip phone and gets completely lost. I just don't get the direction at all. 

Are you lost? I'm lost. Total wtf

We should be playing mafia my friend !

• Tanks a lot 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's what a rebuild is........they drafted a good young core and now they have to build around it.  The mistake they made was not trading miller at peak value and then signing miller and boeser.  

The path was clear in front of them and they didn't take it.  Now it's going to cost them to find their way out.

Yup. Agree. 

Let's see if they can remedy their mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, combover said:

So many people worried about two players.lololololololololololol

but but ep and hughes lolololololol

wouldnt be fair to the sedin… 

huh sounds like a decade ago refool the refools. 

Ehh, the Sedins wasn’t as good as Petey and Hughes in that age.

If a rebuild is what you’re after you should go for the Coyotes way and trade every single player that can get picks and then you just have to wait five to ten years to see if you got enough good players to start winni g.

If you don’t get any good players you’re screwed for ten more years.

Is that a better strategy? 

Wich players do you think we’ve missed now? 
The only players I know are good are the five first but after that it’s just same same.

So, wich player have we missed with the Islanders pick and our second? 

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s a pipe dream but maybe we get out of Myers and it’s more like:

Hughes-Bear

Pettersson-Hronek

OEL-Livingstone

that might actually be half decent.  Management has a ton of work to do, though. 

Don’t wanna see Bear or OEL on the roster next season.

No offense to Bear but he’s a redundant player now. We need D men with size and a strong defensive game to balance out the D.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

9 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I keep going back and forth with this deal but the timing is completely off. 

adding hronek likely hurts our draft position since he does improve our d-core.

that 2nd pick of ours that we gave away in a deep draft is like giving away another 1st in a way especially considering how bad our team is.

that conditional 1st could end up being a top 15-20 pick this year and even a lottery pick next year. 

i do hope this management has something in the works by friday for reacquiring assets. 

we added one RHD top 4 d. that's only two legit top 4 on this team including hughes.

still need two more and we already paid a hefty price. 

still need to also figure out goaltending and our barren prospect pool. 

I'm more disappointed than glad when considering our current team situation, where we are in the standings.

Honestly might have been better if Allvin just stayed put throughout the deadline.

I think the 2nd was a tough pill to swallow, IMO  getting a third back would have lessened the sting (not sure did they have a 3rd to give?).

IMO they also made this trade because they feel Hronek is better than any defenseman they would target between pick 13 to 15 or so. Consensus is it will be forward heavy the first 15 picks....they probably like Hronek more than the guys in that range. Pretty much a given we are going forward with our first pick.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Fair enough 

but with what prospects and with what depth are we even close to a playoff team which should never have been a goal in the next 3 years. Capped  out and well below average with no signs of changing. 

I would argue our forward depth is actually already competitive. It's the defence that's the problem - hence the Hronek trade. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1