The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Hronek | #17 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

New Christian Ehrhoff?

My buddy is a Wing. Ehrhoff was the example he gave to me. Good offensively, fine defensively. Super smart and distributes the puck well. Good on the powerplay. Doesn't play his size, says he plays undersized and often looks physically weak. 

2 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

My buddy is a Wing. Ehrhoff was the example he gave to me. Good offensively, fine defensively. Super smart and distributes the puck well. Good on the powerplay. Doesn't play his size, says he plays undersized and often looks physically weak. 

Your buddy plays for the redwings??

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Depending on how Hronek pans out; he is likely the replacement for Tyler Myers who, IMO, will be bought out or traded in the off season. Hronek is 8 years younger and cheaper and will not be an RFA with arbitration rights till 2024-25. There could be some cap savings if Myers is moved. Still have some hope for both Schenn and Livingstone to be part of the D next season.

Myers will not be bought out since 5 mil out of his 6 mil for the next season is a bonus. As a result, the buyout will only save us $666,667 in cap hit next season. Even simply putting him in the minors will give us more cap savings (around $1 mil).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Getting a quality RD was always going to cost us something of equal value (the same goes for any team). There just seems to be more LD out there than RD for some reason.  There is still time to make another trade or two.  Then there is the time leading up to the draft to make some more trades.  Our Prez is kinda' known for that.  Besides, we are drafting 1st over all this year and you know what that means. B)

I think this guy is going to fit in nice on the right side of the 2nd pair. Maybe even next to Hughes on the first. Unfortunately it came at a cost that I personally wouldn't be willing to pay so this player will remain tainted in my eyes.

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I think your report is a bit inaccurate.  He is a top-four D-man who has been more effective on special teams (PP/PK) than in 5v5.  He prefers to carry the puck rather than passing it out.  Overall, Hronek's a good player who still has some weaknesses to work out, which I think will happen over time.

Nickname HERO

I need a Hronek! 
Holding out for a Hronek 'til the end of the night, Hronek's gotta be strong he's 
gotta be fast and he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a Hronek! 
I'm holding out for a Hronek 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And he's comin' here soon
He's gonna be larger than life
We need a Hronek! 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Nickname HERO

I need a Hronek! 
Holding out for a Hronek 'til the end of the night, Hronek's gotta be strong he's 
I need a Hronek! 
He's gotta be sure
We need a Hronek! 

He's no Bonino

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 2
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think your report is a bit inaccurate.  He is a top-four D-man who has been more effective on special teams (PP/PK) than in 5v5.  He prefers to carry the puck rather than passing it out.  Overall, Hronek's a good player who still has some weaknesses to work out, which I think will happen over time.

What is inaccurate about my post? I'm repeating what my buddy said, who's watched him closely for the last 5 years. 

Edited by MeanSeanBean

17 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What is inaccurate about my post? I'm repeating what my buddy said, who's watched him closely for the last 5 years. 

If you look back, most of what we're saying matches up, but puck distribution and 5v5 play is where the stats don't match up with what your friend is suggesting.  Hopefully he dresses tonight.  Watch how he starts the breakout from his own end - he'll either carry it out (which I think is more likely) or he'll attempt a breakout pass.  Preferring one over the other doesn't make someone good or bad, but I view Hughes as a better distributor because he's equally good at doing both.

The more I look into Hronek the more I like the player.  Stylistically, he seems like a mix of Josi and Salo (from my limited hockey knowledge).  Love that we finally got a RHD with a bomb for a shot and excellent vision.  

Was trying to find highlights that were more recent but I found this reel interesting.  The Detroit anouncers mentioned he's developed into a top pair defenceman playing all situations.  His vision is on full display and his skating looks good with great edge work and his shot is an absolute rocket.  Had a couple scraps (one against Marchand) but is not a fighter.   

Not too much to see on the defensive side but he's made some good defensive plays and offensesive pinches (which again shows his great vision).  The d zone highlights looked great but they are highlights.  

Seems like he's definitely a top 4 RHD with real potential to be a true #2.  He's been used as such and even as a #1 before Seider developed into a monster.  

Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME or @JamesB can do a deeper dive on him in the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If you look back, most of what we're saying matches up, but puck distribution and 5v5 play is where the stats don't match up with what your friend is suggesting.  Hopefully he dresses tonight.  Watch how he starts the breakout from his own end - he'll either carry it out (which I think is more likely) or he'll attempt a breakout pass.  Preferring one over the other doesn't make someone good or bad, but I view Hughes as a better distributor because he's equally good at doing both.

I didn't say anything about the breakout, I just said he passes well. From what I can tell your just explaining a bunch of stats about the player, while I'm giving a report from someone who's watched him since he was drafted.

And I still don't really follow what I said that was so inaccurate that you took time to say so?

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Nickname HERO

I need a Hronek! 
I need a Hronek! 
He's gotta be sure
We need a Hronek! 

ice hockey yes GIF by NHL

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think this guy is going to fit in nice on the right side of the 2nd pair. Maybe even next to Hughes on the first. Unfortunately it came at a cost that I personally wouldn't be willing to pay so this player will remain tainted in my eyes.

Please state the player you would have picked with the Isles pick and we see in five years wich of PA or you that won. 

• Thanks 1

This from a Detroit fan, a conservative one at that.

Hronek, it makes me wonder now how much of an injury he had the other night when he didn't return against the Sens ? :rotf: Go back on this thread and you'll see plenty of comments from me about Hronek's game, to be fair this season has seen a little uptick but I think he's hit his plateau - thank you very much VCR