The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm just saying you say they are cheap. Would you stop watching Canucks games if they were a part of the team?

When did I say they were cheap? They're cheaters, as in they cherry pick and don't contribute on defense because they're thinking of cheating offensively. 

13 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

GDT and PGT has become a sounding off board for Tank Whiners.  Everyone here knows what happens when we get points from the remaining games in this season.  Don't need to post the same bloody thing every game.  Its one thing to joke about it but quite another to continually trash the team because they played well enough to win.  Its getting rather annoying.  I want Bedard as much as anyone here.  So should we have traded Petey and Quinn at the TDL just to finish last and get an 18% chance at Bedard?  Because that would be what it would take.  So should we sit them out for the rest of the season even though they want to play?  Good luck f%$king up our chances at resigning them when their contracts are up.  Grab a brain and stop this incessant whining.  

We all knew this team was not a cup contender at the beginning of the season and that changes needed to be made.  Had we not had crappy goaltending and a defense without structure, we may be where Calgary is right now, fighting for a playoff spot but not good enough to go far.  Even worse, we may have given up even more draft picks for rentals just trying to make the playoffs.  As I said Ad Nauseum, sit back and enjoy the Hockey.  we still have tickets in the barrel.  

I don’t get the part where Canucks didn’t try earlier in the year. Only trying now. As if these whiners didn’t watch a single game all year. The only reason we lost as many as we did earlier this year wasn’t because of lack of effort nor less pressure because they are out of contention. It was exactly as you stated, goalie and structure 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Wouldn't be another CDC season without yet another repetitive post like this.

Wouldn't be another CDC season without yet another repetitive post like this. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hmmmm! Patience is a virtue after all. As a tanker I want that top 5 pick with a shot at Bedard. No this club is not close to a serious Cup challenger and that is what I want. I see no vindication of the trails fandom have suffered by being a ‘playoff’ team. 

The core of this team has such potential but the talent has to be broader based. If I could I would manage the roster to ensure less wins, plain and simple. There are half a dozen teams doing that now. That means Petey at 18, Hughes at 20 TOI. Demko with 6-7 starts to finish the year. This closing stretch is an investment in a Cup contender not a feel good experience for a month. Bottom line it is about positioning to draft one player in the top 5. A player who can join Petey, Hughes and Demko as a key player. No guarantee but a solid shot of a player who could join the roster next year or the year after,

Canucks have some solid prospects outside the core that could really complement them. We haven’t seen Hronek play yet. There are some Euros who will be players here. Bottom line is that all teams have such players. The odds of them being impactful is unknown but those odds are far poorer than a high draft pick. 

Tank on.

How long would you like the "Tank" to continue. Our core(1C,1D,1G) were drafted in 2016-18 and we drafted in the top 5 twice. What position would that "Key Player" play? As you think it is imperative to your view of the plan. Would you argue that the tougher pieces to acquire have already been drafted? Has Toronto or Edmonton drafted a franchise goalie?

The team is at a tough crossroads.

Play too poorly, and Miller, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, and Demko will want to leave.

Play too well and you won't get the help the players with better team-mates.

If the team really wanted to tank. They should have kept Bruce for the rest of the season. And blew up the team.

Collect as many draft picks as you can. And start a brand new core. Then in the offseason hire a new coach.

It would be a 3-5 year process, and the team would have exciting young players. But there would be LOT of losing for a long while.

Tanking I think is basically all or nothing.

It seems to me that the management are wanting the team to get into the playoffs next year.  The

players need to have this experience to perform better.  The team is playing well right now, for a

variety of reasons, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone.  Looking at the schedule, they will likely

be a.500 team or better in the remaining games.  It's an opportune time for the coaches to see

what the players can do and clarify what/who is needed to support the core going forward.

It is likely that the Blues and Flyers will continue to lose games and pass by the Nucks in the tank

standings, which will put us at 9 or 10 (depending on what the Red Wings do).  There are still

some decent players in that range and (as we all know) the draft doesn't usually go as

expected. The Canucks still have a solid chance of picking up an impactful player; he just

won't make the team as quickly as the top 4 guys.

Yes, we've seen this script before and it leaves a bitter taste for many fans.  I have to admit that

I was really hoping for a top 5 pick, but now it has become impossible; it's not happening.

It's not like the management kept its (retool, not rebuild) plans a secret.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Play too poorly, and Miller, Petey, Hughes, Hronek, and Demko will want to leave.

If the team really wanted to tank. They should have kept Bruce for the rest of the season. And blew up the team.

Collect as many draft picks as you can. And start a brand new core. Then in the offseason hire a new coach.

It would be a 3-5 year process, and the team would have exciting young players. But there would be LOT of losing for a long while.

I think the timeframe is from when Petey and Hughes were drafted. I like that we drafted Hogs, Podz and Silovs after them(2019) but we had some pretty dry draft years after that. I think we have a good 9-10 year window to compete with these guys. 

We are probably right at that time where draft picks can still help us in this cycle. We need penalty killers and good checkers to fill our bottom six. Anyone drafted after this will probably be for the future or assets for future transactions.

Drafting a center soon will assist in transitioning from Miller where he can be traded or moved to the wing. 

After 10 years, I think we should be moving on from the tanking mode. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Actually my goal is for this team to be a championship contender, not mediocre.
They just prefer a plan to be mediocre and hope for hot goaltending at the right time with an injury prone goaltender. 

Actually, IMHAO we now have an excellent young core and management are tying to build the supporting cast so the club can handle if (when) Demko isn't able to play.  We have the key pieces now

Hughes

Hronek

Petey

Miller

Kuz

Demko

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

GDT and PGT has become a sounding off board for Tank Whiners.  Everyone here knows what happens when we get points from the remaining games in this season.  Don't need to post the same bloody thing every game.  Its one thing to joke about it but quite another to continually trash the team because they played well enough to win.  Its getting rather annoying.  I want Bedard as much as anyone here.  So should we have traded Petey and Quinn at the TDL just to finish last and get an 18% chance at Bedard?  Because that would be what it would take.  So should we sit them out for the rest of the season even though they want to play?  Good luck f%$king up our chances at resigning them when their contracts are up.  Grab a brain and stop this incessant whining.  

We all knew this team was not a cup contender at the beginning of the season and that changes needed to be made.  Had we not had crappy goaltending and a defense without structure, we may be where Calgary is right now, fighting for a playoff spot but not good enough to go far.  Even worse, we may have given up even more draft picks for rentals just trying to make the playoffs.  As I said Ad Nauseum, sit back and enjoy the Hockey.  we still have tickets in the barrel.  

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

56 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I had an idea! What about having 2 separate PGTs!? One being the Debbie Downer edition for all the hard-core tankers, and one for those of us who still get some enjoyment out of watching the team compete hard every night. It'd be interesting to see which thread gets more posts B)

Works for me. In the meantime, the posters who regularly jump in the PGT to whine are going on mute. 

FB45233A-6850-4D58-89CB-3DDA88B4F061.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I think you nailed it, we've seen this before. Once the pressure is off they seem to play better. Questions will be, how come they couldn't play under pressure? Is it the personnel? Is it coaching strategies? Goaltending?

This year we've made another coaching change middle of the season, we've made player changes, we've had goaltending issues up until now,. What's happening this year is it seems these current players and additions are buying into Tocchet hockey. How it translates to next season? Well we'll definitely see a different looking team, maybe come into next season with no pressure and see what happens.

Again, nothing to do with pressure and everything to do with coaching and goaltending

2 hours ago, Provost said:

The roster and the prospect pipeline…. Nothing too big.  You don’t go from bottom of the league to contender with one or two players unless they happen to be superstars which you can only find in the draft.

Most of our current roster would clear waivers.  Lots of players with negative value.  You need cheap players on ELCs contributing in the top half of your roster in a cap world.

They would not pass waivers.

Didnt we just lose a bottom 6 guy and traded our tank comander for Bloom?

No team has ever played a reg season game over the cap and I doubt the Canucks will be the first in NHL history.

Myers and a 4th should be sufficient to offload after his bonus is paid.  What team with capspace would not take Myers @ 1m? If a team says no, they are being anti competitive and that in intself needs to be fined as that goes against Bettman saying teams dont tank.  If a team like the Yotes dont take Myers at 1m, they frankly dont deserve a franchise and that's when the league needs to address some major issues.

Garland doesnt need retainment.

Only ones would be OEL and Boeser

Boeser has 2 years left... maybe they keep him this year

OEL hopefully goes perma LTIR but if not, he would be the only one where we give up a big piece of the future to get rid of.  

That leaves a line up next year that looks like

Kuz Petey Beau

Podz Miller Boeser

Hogz Karlsson Mikheyev

Di Giuseppi Aman Joshua

Hughes Severson

Gavy Hronek

OEL Johnasson

Demko

Silovs

Not a contending team but can be a playoff team with good coaching. Still got 3.5m in cap space to have an extra forward and extra d

image.thumb.png.f61441f2944246592606b7defc011be7.png

Say the Canucks are in need of capspace in 2 years....Boeser is off the books. Maybe thats when they trade a 2026  1st rounder along with OEL to clear his cap space.

That's like 15m there that comes off the books which is our current dead weight.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

How long would you like the "Tank" to continue. Our core(1C,1D,1G) were drafted in 2016-18 and we drafted in the top 5 twice. What position would that "Key Player" play? As you think it is imperative to your view of the plan. Would you argue that the tougher pieces to acquire have already been drafted? Has Toronto or Edmonton drafted a franchise goalie?

Based on this summer results from management I suspect the ‘tank’ will be done. I am anxious to see Hronek play by the sounds of it he could be a core player. Kuz looks like he could be. The existing core is top notch. At this point it is about complimenting it. As I said earlier the draft pick this summer could produce another core member. A player who can move into the line up in a year or so. 

54 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

You know there is a middle ground between trading them and benching them right?

It’s called playing them less and giving some rookies more opportunity. Tocchett is playing the roster to win right now which is crazy.

Hughes should not be playing 28 minutes a game and Petey should not be playing top minutes in every situation. Demko should be playing once every 3 games after coming back from a serious injury. How would you feel if one of these guys suffered a long term injury from playing too much? How would that help next season?

We know these guys are studs, they’re not proving anything. What we need to see right now is what else we have. And if we win with rookies playing big minutes in key situations fantastic! If we lose well it gives them lessons to learn from.

Playing the system and learning better habits yes. Riding our top guys to squeeze out wins right now no. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

We had two non-NHL coaches since 2013-14. Our core is 23-24 years old, what should we be expecting at this point? If they START making the playoffs next year, I will be ecstatic. 

Big IF cause the team is still capped out.  Anyways, let's see what happens and how they will open up cap.

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Simple. Just like that eh?

Guaranteed result and timeline. 
Here is a timeline and a guarantee. 
Petey and Hughes are and will be elite for years to come. 
Kuz is a bonafide scoring. 
Miller is a beast. 
Potential Vezina calibre goaltending signed fairly long term at a discount still in his prime. 
Please stop with the assumptions and assurances regarding drafting and building from scratch. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It’s called playing them less and giving some rookies more opportunity. Tocchet is playing the roster to win right now which is crazy.

Did you notice who was out at the end of OT?

Kravtzov and Podkolzin - great example of rewarding players with meaningful ice time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Let’s go for the Stanley cup playoffs next year! This is the goal after all. We are Mid. 

Stop being such a downer…

We’re gonna make the playoffs next year.

Western conference finals the year after.

Stanley Cup in year 3.

:towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • elephant 1