The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft and Off Season Talk

Rate this topic

Odd.

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

this

this guy will likely be available when our turn comes, and people are salty???

Could contain: Page, Text, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Symbol, Number

Reminds me of my reaction when Edmonton was pretty good and then got McDavid. We're in good shape. But we definitely need a defenceman who will maul people,way too soft back there after Schenn left.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Nope, disagree completely.

You overlook the roster that Makar stepped into compared to what Petey had to work with. Petey's a game changer all on his own.

But I don't need you to know...I know.

I love me some Petey, but that’s a bad take for sure , Deb. 

Makar is 100% the better player

Petey has a Calder. 

Makar has a Calder, Stanley cup, Norris, and Conn Smythe. 

Makar is the best Dman in the game. 
Petey isn’t top 5 centre

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

You must be smiling. 

Still a 2-3 years away with all the picks accumulated, development needed and right trades sought after. 

TBH i was hoping for Fantilli at 2, I feel like he will be the better player in the long run.

Team is years away from competing in the NHL.

Some on here that think they tanked on purpose have not watched how bad the team was.

Last season watching Ice Hogs and Wolves was way more enjoyable than watching dumpster fire of a team.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There are only 32 balls.  So, nobody else had that last ball of 13 other than Chicago.  We got the 12 instead of the 13 ball.  So it was close...

Why do you say 32 balls?  There are not 32 teams in the lottery partner.

Each number is drawn separately.  And there are not 32 balls.

You know what would be better than 1 first rounder?  2.  Too bad the Canucks never had a chance to get 2 first rounders.  ...Oh yeah, they did. We traded one for a d that probably won't sign long term with us anyways. Imagine if the Canucks picked both Pellikka and Stenberg. Or Smith and Leonard.  Can't say we never had a chance.

Just now, bertuzzi44fan said:

Reminds me of my reaction when Edmonton was pretty good and then got McDavid. We're in good shape. But we definitely need a defenceman who will maul people,way too soft back there after Schenn left.

im of the opinion that we dont wanna draft size

pick up big guys like schenn, gudas, etc etc. off ufa. 

high end skill is the most expensive thing and nearly impossible to acquire on the open market. Draft it and cost-control it for 3 years using ELC. 

Pick up the guys that have absurd amounts of skill and hockey IQ but theres a "knock" that old school GMs dont like

Petey - too skinny, Caufield - too short, Jarvis - too small and skinny. Horvat- too slow. 

Guys will get bigger, stronger, and faster if they're committed. 

Pass on guys like Dvorsky/Reinbacher, etc. that display "nhl readiness" they'll most likely underperform their draft position

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd have to be us "giving" them away as opposed to getting much in return though. Cap space would likely be the primary return and that's fine. 

I reckon we could get an actual asset for Beuvillier, I'm not convinced he's a fit in our top six going forward, Pettersson will make anyone look good. Gonna have to trim the cap somehow though. 

I could see Chicago maybe being interested in Beauvillier and Myers as players they could flip at the deadline, they don't have term attached the way Garland does. 

I agree with that.  I think Chicago might be a trading partner for us.  Unfortunately, we may have to add a sweetener to get rid of Garland.  Not sure too many teams would be interested in him the way the playoffs are played.  How many teams want a small perimeter winger for $5 million for the next 3 years?

Just now, CBH1926 said:

TBH i was hoping for Fantilli at 2, I feel like he will be the better player in the long run.

Some on here that think they tanked on purpose have not watched how bad the team was.

Last season watching Ice Hogs and Wolves was way more enjoyable than watching dumpster fire of a team.

With the amount of picks you have accumulated for the next 3 years I would also be looking at trades as well.  Trades that help moving forward. 

Probably start with getting a couple linemates for Bedard. Gives him someone to play with and fans something to see even if it is a 1-line team. 

Maybe a top 5 pick next year. Especially whoever that #1 D is, would help round out the core. Or even Celebrini the other potential 1st overall Vancouver kid next year. 

Just play your cap right and wait for the right trades the next few years. Draft and develop the next couple then add vets to help. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

If Bedard is spineless enough to play for Chicago, I can only hope he never reaches the playoffs his entire career.

That's going a little too far. It's not his fault he'll be drafted there.
What if he comes here?

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

You know what would be better than 1 first rounder?  2.  Too bad the Canucks never had a chance to get 2 first rounders.  ...Oh yeah, they did. We traded one for a d that probably won't sign long term with us anyways. Imagine if the Canucks picked both Pellikka and Stenberg. Or Smith and Leonard.  Can't say we never had a chance.

Then we get to hope one of the later 1sts turn into a player as good as Hronek…….

and he is actually pretty awesome, so I kinda doubt it

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If Bedard is spineless enough to play for Chicago, I can only hope he never reaches the playoffs his entire career.

Spineless? They will draft him and own his rights for up to 7 years if they want to. Kid played and ruled at hockey his entire life to finally perform at the NHL level, and he’s spineless to you if he shows loyalty to whomever drafts and gives him an opportunity to fulfill the dream that he’s more than earned?

go figure 

I don’t like that he’s going to CHI either but it ain’t his fault what happened with that franchise so perhaps reevaluate how you look at this…?

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I think it was a tank by design, which was smart because they were headed towards being a middling team. Trading away Dach, Debrincat and Strome made it more painful in the short term but will pay off in the long run. I have always said that having competition in the form of other sports leagues/teams including the college sports scene forces professional sports teams in US to rebuild (except the Flyers but they are an absolute dumpster fire from top to bottom). We have too little competition in Canada, the owners know that we will pack the arena and people will watch the games regardless of performance. There really is no incentive to do things differently. Even when the teams here do tank they do it half-heartedly, they will accept a year or two of being bad but they won't really commit to it. People can talk about the league being rigged but I don't see a Canadian team winning for a long time and it all comes down to the fans and what they are willing to tolerate.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with that.  I think Chicago might be a trading partner for us.  Unfortunately, we may have to add a sweetener to get rid of Garland.  Not sure too many teams would be interested in him the way the playoffs are played.  How many teams want a small perimeter winger for $5 million for the next 3 years?

I'd take future considerations for him and call it a win. Wouldn't have anything to do with him as a player, I'd just rather give him away than have to give up assets like a 1st to move cap. 

Same goes for Beauvillier and Myers. 

Might sting but it'd hurt less than giving up picks or prospects. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

There are actually clueless people out there that think it's fixed. If every little thing doesn't go their way the whole world is against them. :frantic: :lol:

Never believed the Canucks would win.

Fully believe the league rigged it to send him to Chicago.

The NBA has been rigging lotteries forever. Not far fetched to believe a former NBA commissioner would be doing the same thing…

• Vintage 2

The good, is that none of the teams that the Canucks leapt frog in the standing after Tocchet took over, got a top 2 pick. This year's, year end, playing better, cohesive, winning streak will lead to a better start, team success and playoffs next year.

At 11 Danielson and Reinbacher will be there for the picking. Hopefully management can get another 1st this year. Pittsburghs or Nashvilles would do, 

• elephant 1