The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If the Hronek trade didn't happen, the Canucks would still have only one Top 4D. Hughes (and Demko) would be overworked and frustrated that management isn't doing anything to help the D. Sure, the Canucks would have the two extra picks and Draft Day would be fun, but next season wouldn't be much fun. No guarantee those picks turn into good NHL players. 

Hughes - Bear

Wolanin - Myers

OEL - Burroughs

Hirose

This D would struggle again. 

Listen, people want to improve the team and then complain when we improve the team. A lot of people (and rightfully so) also suffer from PTSD with Benning and his horrendous asset management and pro scouting. Fact of the matter is that this was a massive step in the right direction, and I very much doubt that our management will be sitting on their hands this offseason, satisfied with what they've done. 

There's much more to come. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well in case you have missed it the last 100 times or so that people have told you.

Miller isn’t on a team friendly deal two months from now.  He is getting paid market rates for his current production.  Unfortunately, the likelihood of him producing at those same rates when he is 37 are pretty astronomical.  Age related decline wasn’t factored into that contract.  He is almost certainly going to become one of those dead weight contracts you think it is easy to shed.  It could happen anywhere from next season to 3-4 seasons from now, but the odds are highly stacked against us contract aging well.

Those contracts you suggested are impossible to move without further eroding our future. 

A very buyout friendly deal - we can buyout the last 2 years of his contract and only have a 1.7m cap hit. 

point per game is more in line with 9 million rather than 8 as well. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Which in-house defensemen can turn into a top stay at home RHD on the top pairing with Hughes, and which in-house player can pair with Hronek to hold down the second pairing?

Looking at the list of developing in-house players, I don't really see many players with the capability, size or experience to partner with players as dynamic as Hughes and Hronek.

I think dpetey has the tools in time to be a good complimentary guys to hronek.  Jurmo would be a longer shot but tools are tantalizing.  Johansson on the right hand side with the longer shot being Woo.  Hirose looks like there is something there as well.  To compliment either of Hughes or hronek need defense first who skates well all of those guys have that level of upside.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

We needed a top 4 d and got one, even better is the player is a right handed shot.  We have a number of in-house players in development that have potential to fill in the gaps as d first dmen.  

Our recent college signings looked promising. Hirose could be the real deal. Can't wait to see them developing next year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, flat land fish said:

I think dpetey has the tools in time to be a good complimentary guys to hronek.  Jurmo would be a longer shot but tools are tantalizing.  Johansson on the right hand side with the longer shot being Woo.  Hirose looks like there is something there as well.  To compliment either of Hughes or hronek need defense first who skates well all of those guys have that level of upside.

Hirose is probably the best of those mentioned. 

Skating is one of the aspects. More importantly, they need to be solid in their own end to hold down the actual defensive side of the game. Size is also important in being a stay at home defenseman to help clear the crease and protect their partner and Demko. 

• Cheers 1

Generally, I’m happy with the trade.

The 1st was an extra, acquired by smartly walking away from a player. Parlaying the return on good asset management is easier to swallow.

While I’d rather we kept the 2nd, we used it to acquire a top RHD, which are in short supply throughout the league.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

D-Petey sounds a bit like Ohlund. Excited to see him come to NA

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Which rumours? I've been out of the loop the last while. But if Allvin did indeed hamstring us with prices that were too high as opposed to working with teams on fair deals, that's disappointing. Not surprising, but disappointing. 

I can’t find something to link right now, but I’ve seen it suggested that Garland, for example, could have been traded for a 3rd round pick before the last TDL but the Canucks weren’t willing to come down that far. This makes some sense, since when you go back to the previous deadline (2022), you have people like Friedman reporting the Canucks were asking for a first round pick for Garland and Toronto media people talking about the Leafs offering as high as a first plus roster player plus prospect.

If the Canucks were slow to adjust their ask, between TDL 2022 and 2023, I could easily see how they might get in their own way on completing a trade that could have shed Garland’s salary and returned a modest asset.

Now, we’re at a point where the chatter suggests the Canucks will need to add sweeteners to any significant salary (including Garland) that they want to trade. And fairly significant media people are pushing this same narrative and lending credibility to the idea that Vancouver will now need to spend assets to dump any cap.

• Cheers 2

Great trade for us. Allvin used the Islanders' first at its highest value. We don't get a great D man, like Hronek, using the 18th pick. We now have a top pairing D man, who will anchor our second pairing for many years to come. Super great trade by us!

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Eh, call it what you will, some of them have def been lousy. Some of them turn out though too, Klimovich looked great this season and Hoglander could be an NHL'er yet. And then there's Demko of course. 

The higher you pick the better the odds, the odds may not be as high as first round picks but there are plenty of quality NHL'ers around the league who've been picked in the second round. I've seen folks covet several players from around the league who were drafted in the second round for years. 

Gotta use the pick in order to have a chance at hitting. 

I think they have greater value as currency for already established players.  

yes to kronek trade. JB wasn't able to upgrade defense. he sign OEL, myers and poolman.

JR and PA have brought in hronek, bear, hirose, dermott and wolanin.

now add a couple of physical, stay at home d men .

if they can upgrade forwards with some faster, physical talent, this team is ready.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

yes to kronek trade. JB wasn't able to upgrade defense. he sign OEL, myers and poolman.

JR and PA have brought in hronek, bear, hirose, dermott and wolanin.

now add a couple of physical, stay at home d men .

if they can upgrade forwards with some faster, physical talent, this team is ready.

I'd say OEL, Myers and Poolman is better than Hronek, Bear, Horse, Dermott and Wolanin.  Poolman was a solid dman who has a head injury.  OEL and Myers, like the rest of the dcorp suffered from a train wreck of a coaching staff.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say OEL, Myers and Poolman is better than Hronek, Bear, Horse, Dermott and Wolanin.  Poolman was a solid dman who has a head injury.  OEL and Myers, like the rest of the dcorp suffered from a train wreck of a coaching staff.

What do you expect from Myers next season?

I like the trade. I am eager to win sooner rather than later, and Hronek will help. The draft picks they surrendered in 2023 are unlikely to be full-time NHLers for at least three years and more likely longer, particularly for defensemen. So if you don't trade for Hronek, and you draft with those two picks, what do you do until those prospects are ready to play? Keep losing because help is on the way?

• Cheers 1

We have the best RHD in the club since Bieksa left. 

we need another and I really hope ASP or Reinbacher is there at 11.

and that’s about the cost these days,

From the scouting reports, he is a very good RHD D that plays a good game, improving without the puck.

Who else were we supposed to get, Seider?

We haven’t drafted this type of player, and if we don’t start to invest in the defence, Hughes is going to be isolated and over played and leave when he can to a better opportunity if it’s just him.

Myers will be gone when Hronek is resigned.

Myers will be dealt after that bonus is paid.

for a player on a expiring contract for a cash strapped club that is a UFA at the end of the year.

Poolman is no where on the horizon and we have minor leaguers and hopefully a Luke Schenn resigning this offseason.

Gotta start somewhere.

it’s also going to cost a lot and Alvin targeted Hronek and got him, there is word that he is hot after Alex Lafanaire, and with what and or how, I don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

What do you expect from Myers next season?

I expect he'll be a guy who will be a bit unpredictable, but who plays decently well in RT's system and logs pretty big mins.  

As with most dmen, he's only as good (defensively) as the fwds who play their own defensive role well.

• Cheers 1