The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Pierre-Luc Dubois has requested a trade

4 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

*If he truly wants just MTL*

I don’t see why any team would try trading for him, though.  He won't sign with you, he doesn't want to play for you, and ditto for any team you try to flip him over to.  It would be like acquiring him for the sole purpose of turning a profit.  That's a big gamble for a player of his level.

I think the whole he wants only Montreal is a big overblown.  We don't know that for sure.  At the end of the day, he will go where the money is, just like BO and every other UFA...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think the whole he wants only Montreal is a big overblown.  We don't know that for sure.  At the end of the day, he will go where the money is, just like BO and every other UFA...

If he's willing to sit out a year because Winnipeg can't find a taker for an entitled punk, money isn't the issue here.

His dad is the Moose’s head coach lol. Awkwaarrrd

Alsovicdont get him wanting out of Winnipeg. He basically visited Winnipeg a ton as a kid and is like his 2nd home. Guy is just a quitter who has asked for a trade every single team he’s been on including junior.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t you just spend all post deadline and playoffs mocking the Isles for giving Bo the bag? And now you want to do the same for a less proven player?

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why would Montreal offer anything of value in their situation?  They're not magically going to become contenders next year.  If Dubois doesn't sign an extension, is he a UFA after sitting out a year or is he still an RFA?  If the latter is the case, I'm not trading him regardless of his wishes.

That's a really good point that I forgot about.  According to CapFriendly, he would still be an RFA if he sits out the current year...

What is an unrestricted free agent (UFA)?

A player becomes a free agent when their contract expires on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract. Any player who meets the following requirements becomes an unrestricted free agent (UFA):

Is 27 years of age on June 30 of the contract expiry year

Has seven (7) Accrued Seasons where an Accrued Season is earned when the player was on the clubs active roster for 40 Regular Season games (30 if the player is a goaltender). Games missed due to a hockey related injury will count towards an accrued season in the season of the injury, plus one additional season after the injury.

Meets the requirements for Group 6 UFA Status (See below)

An unrestricted free agent is eligible to sign a contract with any club as of noon ET on July 1 after the last League Year of their contract

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Didn’t you just spend all post deadline and playoffs mocking the Isles for giving Bo the bag? And now you want to do the same for a less proven player?

PLD is 6'3" and 220lbs.  He's turning 25 in a couple weeks.  He hasn't hit his prime yet.  I'm willing to bet on him being a 30 goal 80-point player who is hard to play against.  I like his game better than BO's game.  I think PLD can be a stud in playoff style hockey...

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If he's willing to sit out a year because Winnipeg can't find a taker for an entitled punk, money isn't the issue here.

On the one hand, I *think* this is the SECOND time he's asked to be traded.  On the other hand, the cities involved were Columbus (Blue Jackets) and of course now, Winnipeg (Jets).:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

On the one hand, I *think* this is the SECOND time he's asked to be traded.  On the other hand, the cities involved were Columbus (Blue Jackets) and of course now, Winnipeg (Jets).:ph34r:

The kicker here is that his dad is still employed with the team.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To VAN

Dach

Barron

To MTL

PLD

To WPG

JT Miller

I like this trade, but IMO, PLD's contract stance diminished his value. Not only that, but Miller is the much better player, albeit older. IMO, I see more coming back.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Pierre-Luc Dubois

Brenden Dillon

2023 18OA

To Winnipeg:

JT Miller

Conor Garland

2023 11OA

Sign PLD to an 8.5x8 contract extension...

Miller > Dubois. Even with the age gap

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

56 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because remember when Stamkos was going to play in Toronto, and they made a big deal out of it? Including saying they had sponsors lined up for him already.

Then the guy takes less to renew with Tampa. I wouldn't be suprised if he signs with a team that's close not a team rebuilding like Montreal.

That isn't even remotely the same situation. Stamkos took less to stay in Tampa (the team that drafted him) to try to win a cup. Dubois has already indicated he's moving on, and the writing has been on the wall for a while that he's eventually ending up in Montreal. At the very least, I find it farfetched that he'd even consider signing in Vancouver. We're not close. We have one of, if not the worst, cap situations in the league and have been cruising around the bottom 3rd of the league for the better part of a decade. 

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller's NMC clause doesn't kick in until July 1.  So we can trade him now no problem.  If he holds out in Winnipeg then that means he won't get paid.  If he demands a trade then they are in the same spot as they are in now with PLD.  Difference is Miller would be signed already long term...

that's a really dick move to trade a player signed to a max contract to a team nobody wants to sign with right before his NTC kicks in.. and probably will have effect on future signings.. if you are EP would you want to sign ur long term extension here in the summer knowing the team could all of a sudden trade you to arizona for the next 8 years after he signed or would he wait until his current contract expires and have a full NMC before signing his next contract? winnipeg is like the arizona of the north.. no one wants to spend 7-8 years there.. winnipeg would be absolutely stupid to make that trade without talking to JT Miller first to see his intention.. JT will never hold out.. he can let his play do the talking and just float around and collect his 8mil.. no GM is stupid enough to make that type of trade without consulting because they play in a city no one wants to live in.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

Pierre-Luc Dubois

Brenden Dillon

2023 18OA

To Winnipeg:

JT Miller

Conor Garland

2023 11OA

Sign PLD to an 8.5x8 contract extension...

If it is contingent on a long term sign and trade for that contract, I am all over that deal.  He is eligible to extend now, so nothing to stop any potential trade partner to demand an extension.

If he won't sign an extension, then his price goes down drastically.  This would represent an excellent deal for Winnipeg for an asset that is going to walk and reportedly wanting to add players and not rebuild.  Getting players to sign long term in Winnipeg isn't easy, a guy on an 8 year deal like Miller would seem attractive you would think... especially as he is an immediate upgrade on PLD.  We give up the better player at the moment, but swap out who will be the better player in years 2-8 of Miller's contract.  PLD will almost certainly improve as he hits his prime and Miller will almost certainly decline by the time he is in his mid-30's.

His agent Brisson is a hard case though, so I wouldn't be surprised for him to not sign an extension anywhere until he has all the leverage as a UFA or when they know how much the salary cap will go up.  Maybe PLD just REALLY wants out badly right away so would be willing to facilitate that.

Not wanting to sign an extension in Winnipeg isn't the same as not being willing to sign an extension with anyone.  The latter may be the case, but it certainly isn't a foregone conclusion.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Probably overpaying for a UFA we can't afford?

Old man Rutherford is gonna sign guys until we’re 20 mil over the cap and just send the league to voice mail when they call about it.  

It’s a bold strategy. 

• Haha 4