The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Was more referencing what management is likely to do with the cap space, they'll likely spend it. 

I hope they try and poach someone from a cap strapped team as opposed to chasing someone in UFA though. Assuming we actually buy OEL out. 

If they bring in Noah Hanifin for pennies on the dollar, then I'd feel better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

So the trade goes:

Vancouver gets:
Garland 
Plus 8 years of OEL buyout $2,126,667 per year.

Arizona gets 
LE-off the books 
Rooster-off the books
Beagle-off the books
9th OA 2021-Dylan Guenther
42nd OA 2022-Artem Duda

2023 7th 

With aggressive moves like this I’m sure we are selling the idea for Petey signing up long term.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

image.gif.c7123db31088d7c29a93d35a592447be.gif

I was wrong on this one too... Thought that there was absolutely no chance that we would do this. 

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think moving one of Beau, Boeser, or Garland is still on the table, if they plan to move out a winger they need to do it before filling OEL's cap space though. What an OEL buyout does in the meantime is takes away some of the bargaining power other teams had due to our being in a cap crunch. 

If management goes out and fills that space before making other cap clearing trades we'd potentially be right back where we started. 

We could now trade Garland as positive value for say.. a season of Mantha+. 

I sure hope they are still looking to trade at least 2 of Boesser, Beau or Garland.  Now you can actually use a wing contract and take back a bit extra cap for a D or C.  Pay the position premium in cap instead of more pics or prospects. 
We need to be bigger on the wing but Mantha never seems to pull it together for long.

A spot has opened for Rathbone or Hirose and concerningly we need 2 more top 4 D and a third line centre.  With a $5M cap penalty after next year and EP and Hronek’s big deals kicking in next year we need to be really smart with our cap, something that no management group other than Gillis’ has done.  We can’t just depend on a big cap jump to cover things. 
I was hoping management would take a big swing this year and this is the beginnings of a big swing. 
An exciting couple of weeks ahead, please don’t do something really stupid in the UFA market, please don’t go after Kevin Hayes. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Um holy crap. This off season just got WAY more interesting. 

And the cap hit really sucks in a couple years, but you know who doesn’t care? Me!

Management must really think this core can do something special soon. I’m excited. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I won't be surprised if OEL just retires. The fire has been gone from him a long time ago. He might not even like plating hockey anymore. 

Man I wonder how much he regrets putting Vancouver on his list. 

What a disappointing player he's been for Nux. 

• There it is 1

So, wrong thread, but does anyone know if there's anything that would prevent us paying Myers signing bonus early to make him more tradeable this summer instead of waiting till September?

I think there are teams who would take him without retention if that 5 million wasn't hanging over them. The idea of eating 6 million space for only 1 million spend...As long as he'll waive for the right team, he only has 10 team protection list.

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I would have ridden out next year when other guys expire, when cap goes up and seeing whether OEL bounces back then reevaluating our cap situation as well as buying out OEL personally. 

I was leaning in this direction but I recall from previous discussion of an OEL buyout that if you think OEL is no better than a good 3rd pairing D, doing a buyout now would be the best option. In other words, if you can replace OEL with someone of better quality for about 3.5 million or less, than a buyout makes financial sense.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

So the trade goes:

Vancouver gets:
Garland 
Plus 8 years of OEL buyout $2,126,667 per year.

Arizona gets 
LE-off the books 
Rooster-off the books
Beagle-off the books
9th OA 2021
42nd OA 2022
2023 7th 

With aggressive moves like this I’m sure we are selling the idea for Petey signing up long term.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Petey pull a Tkachuk at this point and not sign a long-term deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

I’m okay with this.

Cap is expected to go up when the OEL penalty hits us the hardest. if management can just be competent in cap management, we can survive.

As well, this increases Garland and Boeser’s trade value. We now don’t need to scramble and pay someone to take one of these contracts. Teams won’t feel the need to try and take advantage anymore because of our new existing cap space.

Another positive is that we can now also take back 1 year cap dumps inexchange for prospects or picks.  

Buying out OEL was an inevitability if we wanted to legitimately try and ice a competitive team within the next 2 years. Whether we bought him out this year, next year, or 2 years from now, we would still only save $3M for those two years where the cap penalty hits the most. A $2.1M penalty whether it was an extra year, two, or three is easy to navigate considering the cap will be 100M by then. 

Even at 50% retained, OEL would cost us 1st round picks and our younger assets which this team cannot afford to give up if they’re trying to be competitive in the same time frame. OEL buyout had to happen. It is better it happened this year where we have an immediate $7M to work, because, indirectly, our other moveable assets were losing value and becoming increasingly hard to move due to the non existing cap space in the first place, largely due to OEL. 

I'm fine with it too on the assumption that we don't immediately squander the cap space.

I have no reason to believe they will be smart with it.  FA has mandated immediate success and that forces us to get into desperate bidding wars for prized UFAs and trade targets.  As long as FA is holding the GM's feet to the fire, the team will continue to make short sighted moves and be hamstrung by the cap.

• elephant 1