The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple Players Will Not Extend in Calgary, Expected to be Traded

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think I'd give up our 1st for Hanifin, we've made enough desperate moves and it'd really throw this team's prospect pool in the gutter if we end up trading away 3 high picks in one year, not to mention not having a 2nd next year too.

Calgary surely want some scoring help, their stars didn't produce and they need help up front in their top-6. 

As much as I love Boeser, I could really see him as a Flame in a swap with Hanifin. We'd probably have to add a depth defenceman to help their numbers, either Burroughs after re-signing (ouch) or Rathbone (again, I could see him having success as a Flame). It'd really hurt to have more ex-Canucks on that team but for once, we'd end up with the better player.

Hanifin would unlock this defence. He made one of the best shutdown pairings in the league with Tanev not long ago. He's still young, big and strong and a reliable two-way defenceman, not much offence but sound defensively which is what we need. He'd make the absolute perfect partner for Hronek - a very versatile pairing who could realistically play together for the next 5 years and really start to grow some chemistry.

Can't afford Hanifin 26- 6'2-- #2 D man plays 22--24 mins-- will demand ( 6.2 --6.6 Million X 7 yrs)

Severson  29  just signed for 6 million X 8 yrs

We have Hughes 7.8 -- Hronek net contract 6.3 million--  please sign -Graves 4.1--4.5  millionX 4 yrs

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Hanifin no; Graves yes (depending on the price). Given Hughes/Hronek I think Hanifin would be going a little too big. I don't think they need as strong an offensive player as him behind Hughes/Hronek. He is a good player, just not sure if he's an ideal/appropriate fit as a player or contractually.

Aside from Graves (whom I’d love as well for the right price) being 2 years older and decidedly less handsome, as a UFA he first and foremost needs to want to sign here.  

I’m also not buying the low term and cap hits I’m seeing for him. Maybe to go to a contender but for us to get him?  I’m skeptical.

All that said, I guess Hanifin would *also* need to be open to signing long term with us. And that’s no guarantee given his attitude towards re signing with old stink town.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Aside from Graves (whom I’d love as well for the right price) being 2 years older and decidedly less handsome, as a UFA he first and foremost needs to want to sign here.  

I’m also not buying the low term and cap hits I’m seeing for him. Maybe to go to a contender but for us to get him?  I’m skeptical.

All that said, I guess Hanifin would *also* need to be open to signing long term with us. And that’s no guarantee given his attitude towards re signing with old stink town.

That and Hanafin sucks pucks away from Tanev. He’s not a player we want. He’s actually kind of crappy. 

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think I'd give up our 1st for Hanifin, we've made enough desperate moves and it'd really throw this team's prospect pool in the gutter if we end up trading away 3 high picks in one year, not to mention not having a 2nd next year too.

Calgary surely want some scoring help, their stars didn't produce and they need help up front in their top-6. 

As much as I love Boeser, I could really see him as a Flame in a swap with Hanifin. We'd probably have to add a depth defenceman to help their numbers, either Burroughs after re-signing (ouch) or Rathbone (again, I could see him having success as a Flame). It'd really hurt to have more ex-Canucks on that team but for once, we'd end up with the better player.

Hanifin would unlock this defence. He made one of the best shutdown pairings in the league with Tanev not long ago. He's still young, big and strong and a reliable two-way defenceman, not much offence but sound defensively which is what we need. He'd make the absolute perfect partner for Hronek - a very versatile pairing who could realistically play together for the next 5 years and really start to grow some chemistry.

I remember when there were heavy rumours back then that we might trade the 2018 1st (ended up as Hughes obviously) for Hanifin. 

Safe to say we dodged a bullet there and I'd rather save ourselves again than spending a fortune to a divisional rival. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

are these places just that undesirable to live in? the team situation is meh. but at least they got a new GM to steer the ship and on paper they still look pretty good.

it can't all just be coming down to "american patriotism".

it's actually kind of funny at this point how people seem to want to mass exodus winnipeg and calgary.

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

are these places just that undesirable to live in? the team situation is meh. but at least they got a new GM to steer the ship and on paper they still look pretty good.

it's actually kind of funny at this point how people seem to want to mass exodus winnipeg and calgary.

In Canadian cities the hockey players are always recognized away from the rink. They are always on the job. Never a moment to relax, which is hard on the family guys. In the US they can collect their millions, live the great life of the elite rich, and no one knows who they are. They wander the streets as Walt by millionaires in total anonymity. They can go out with their wives and kids without ever worrying about some crazy fsn ruining their private time. This is why guys prefer the US markets. It’s not taxes or weather. It’s about anonymity and zero pressure. 

5 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I believe the intense scrutiny players deal with when it comes to playing in Canadian markets has something to do with what is happening in some Canadian markets. Plus the winters are long in most CDN cities other than Van.

I also see the younger generations in the NHL have less of an "obligation" to stick with a particular team for years to come. This next contract will likely be his biggest and going to free agency (potentially) or a sign and trade has to be enticing. Makes sense to me. People want to steer their own ship as much as possible- it's human nature.

50 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Absolutely. It's very easy to throw a name around as an option but it takes two to tango. The same goes for any possible UFAs.

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Yes sign Ryan Graves 28--LD - 6'5 - 220lbs- PK - log 21--23 mins--gritty #3 guy makes Vancouver much better.

This type of D is what Canucks really need..

Might sign for between 4.2--4.5 AAV X 4 yrs.. 

Yep. Only thing Graves costs is cap space and he’s a perfect fit honestly. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That and Hanafin sucks pucks away from Tanev. He’s not a player we want. He’s actually kind of crappy. 

I’d say he’s probably out of our price range anyways as Calgary has a lot of time to be patient on the return.  

With the cap space I hope we take a serious (but not reckless) kick at Graves’ tires while calling Boston about Carlo, Columbus about Peeke and Carolina about Pesce.  2024 1st on the table but the 11OA this year off at least until the draft and we see what’s on the board.

Hanifin is not the move we should be making. We should be targeting a player who we can get for little in return - perhaps even getting a sweetener from a team desperate to clear cap (Boston - Forbort or Rielly will likely get you a sweetener, or Grzelcyk could be almost free). And/or target free agents that are willing to take less for 1 year due to the limited cap available.

Taking 1 year bets is the best play, because if it doesn’t work, you flip them at the deadline for picks and try again next year, rather than be locked in to unknowns. And if it does work, you can decide who is worth what and negotiate from there.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Hanifin is not the move we should be making. We should be targeting a player who we can get for little in return - perhaps even getting a sweetener from a team desperate to clear cap (Boston - Forbort or Rielly will likely get you a sweetener, or Grzelcyk could be almost free). And/or target free agents that are willing to take less for 1 year due to the limited cap available.

Taking 1 year bets is the best play, because if it doesn’t work, you flip them at the deadline for picks and try again next year, rather than be locked in to unknowns. And if it does work, you can decide who is worth what and negotiate from there.

I agree we need to hunt value deals but this cap space presents an opportunity to add a high value player with less teams in the bidding.  We’d be silly not to look at Hanifin, Carlo, Pesce types.  Not saying force the move, but that’s where we’ll gain ground.

Not with Grzelcyk - even if he’d be a nice add *in addition to* a bigger piece.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

I agree we need to hunt value deals but this cap space presents an opportunity to add a high value player with less teams in the bidding.  We’d be silly not to look at Hanifin, Carlo, Pesce types.  Not saying force the move, but that’s where we’ll gain ground.

Not with Grzelcyk - even if he’d be a nice add *in addition to* a bigger piece.

Even though Grzelcyk, at 5’10” (which is probably generous) and 175ish lbs looks like a very poor fit for the direction the Canucks’ D corps needs to build towards (we need to get bigger, not smaller, on the back end, especially for the playoffs), I’d still happily take him on if (as the previous poster suggested) he was available for “almost free.”

Grizzy is highly underrated. He’s far more valuable than his $3.7M contract IMO. Analytically, he’s a gem (provided 4.2 WAR the past two seasons for an estimated value around $12M per season, by Evolving Hockey’s model, and a market value of $9.3M per Dom at the Athletic).

I’d take him for the remaining year on his contract, maybe showcase him on the second pairing, and then try to flip him for assets as a rental when his deal’s expiring. I think there’s some profit to be made, if the Bruins are actually forced to cap dump him for next to nothing.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Even though Grzelcyk, at 5’10” (which is probably generous) and 175ish lbs looks like a very poor fit for the direction the Canucks’ D corps needs to build towards (we need to get bigger, not smaller, on the back end, especially for the playoffs), I’d still happily take him on if (as the previous poster suggested) he was available for “almost free.”

Grizzy is highly underrated. He’s far more valuable than his $3.7M contract IMO. Analytically, he’s a gem (provided 4.2 WAR the past two seasons for an estimated value around $12M per season, by Evolving Hockey’s model, and a market value of $9.3M per Dom at the Athletic).

I’d take him for the remaining year on his contract, maybe showcase him on the second pairing, and then try to flip him for assets as a rental when his deal’s expiring. I think there’s some profit to be made, if the Bruins are actually forced to cap dump him for next to nothing.

I agree with you 100% - but as a joke (but not joking) we should ALSO try and pry Girard out of Colorado.  

Push the tipping point between “big” and simply “good” defenceman.  Who needs to clear the crease when we have the puck the whole time? 

You’d have to think a D of 

Hughes-Makar

Girard-Fox

Grzylcek-Krug

would still flat-out dominate.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I agree with you 100% - but as a joke (but not joking) we should ALSO try and pry Girard out of Colorado.  

Push the tipping point between “big” and simply “good” defenceman.  Who needs to clear the crease when we have the puck the whole time? 

Hughes-Makar

Girard-Fox

Grzylcek-Krug

It would be so fun to watch what a team with a highly skilled Smurf defence could actually accomplish, regular season and playoffs.

Imagine if they dominated? Would completely reverse the current narrative around what it takes to build a team that can compete for the Cup.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Hughes-Makar

Girard-Fox

Grzylcek-Krug

No Girard; move Krug to his spot and add Spurgeon. 

15 hours ago, billabong said:

He’s American so he’ll probs request for a USA based team 

I have no sources but something tells me that something went down with the American born players in the Flames lockerroom. 

In the work environment people talk in the watercooler or pantry and you get ideas from the people you talk to. I would not be surprised if one of the American players brought up wanting to leave Calgary to play in the US and gave the other players the same idea.

Because even Winnipeg does a better job keeping American born players in their organization than Calgary.