The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Cal Foote 24 -RD - 6'5 - 220 Might be Unqualified ? Nashville

Anything below what can be buried in the minors… sure.

Maybe the connection with his Dad lands him here and that he (at least possibly) can play a grittier Tocchet style game.

Sign Soucy/Tryamkin/Foote/Juulsen/Burroughs and let them scrap It out for the roster spots.

Barring a miracle we won’t be able to afford a real partner for Hughes, so it is whatever 3rd pairing/fringe guy that he can carry the easiest on that top pairing.  Focus on a real partner for Hronek and let that pair eat a lot of tough minutes.

3rd pairing is going to be pretty fringe, especially when the inevitable injuries happen.

Hughes-Juulsen

Cole/Soucey-Hronek

Tryamkin-Myers

Burroughs-Foote

Waive Myers when his bonus is paid and see if someone takes him.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Foote is getting let go then we should avoid him too - there's a good reason he's getting bounced around sadly. Can't just get sucked in by the fact that he's a young, big physical RD. The last thing we want is a big slow anchor for Hughes.

Can play him in the AHL or 6/7th. Don’t have to play him with Hughes. 
Free prospect is worth considering. Not saying he will be great but if we aren’t up against the 50 contracts why not take a swing for a year or two. 
We aren’t very competitive anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Foote to van makes to much sense.

he is so raw and still makes the same mistakes he made in Juniors in kelowna but the tool box is there and all he needs to do is wave a stick at opposing players to clog a lane and he'll be as effective as Myers.

Do it up

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Nepotism is a real thing my friend. Been in youth hockey for 15 years. It carries right through to the pros. 

Not sure what you are talking about? No NHL pro team takes a player in first round because of his last name?

Youth hockey is much different then NHL and WHL..

Foote was drafted 14th O/A ? Tampa Bay one of the best at drafting and they never drafted Cal Foote because of his Dad?

Just ridiculous thinking..

Ronning went in late RD to Washington but Ronning put up almost a point a game as 20 yr old. with Giants..

I watched both Foote and Ronning in WHL-- Very good players and deserved to be drafted nothing to do with last name.

30 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Not sure what you are talking about? No NHL pro team takes a player in first round because of his last name?

Youth hockey is much different then NHL and WHL..

Foote was drafted 14th O/A ? Tampa Bay one of the best at drafting and they never drafted Cal Foote because of his Dad?

Just ridiculous thinking..

Ronning went in late RD to Washington but Ronning put up almost a point a game as 20 yr old. with Giants..

I watched both Foote and Ronning in WHL-- Very good players and deserved to be drafted nothing to do with last name.

Foote wasn't that great in Kelowna. Nepotism starts at youth level and 100 percent continues through drafting and the pro ranks. Seen in, lived it. No way Foote should of gone in the first round. Even Ronning was a reach and probably never even drafted if not for his name. Gauranteed both these players would of gone later if they had different last names. Nah, seen too much to think otherwise. 

Edited by rekker

12 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Foote is a very decent target that we have a good chance of getting.

He is a defensively responsible player that can definitely play 3rd pairing minutes plus PK. And he has the potential to be a top pairing Dman in the future alongside someone like Hughes.

ron burgundy GIF

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Are you still thinking about "potential" for a 24 year old? 

I think he will get better, but some people here are talking about top pairing.  Not everyone ends up becoming Jalen Chatfield.

For sure. I am thinking about potential for a lot of 24 year old Dmen, including Hirose, Rathbone, Livingstone, etc.

I am not suggesting Foote becomes a legit 1D. But he has potential to become a top pairing complementary partner to someone like Hughes. Similar to Siegenthaler at the NJDs paired with Hamilton.

Just look at a guy like Perbix now 25 years old. A year ago his season consisted of 12 AHL games and 31 NCAA games. Steps up to the NHL and plays 69 games for TBL and looks like a legit top 4 guy.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

For sure. I am thinking about potential for a lot of 24 year old Dmen, including Hirose, Rathbone, Livingstone, etc.

I am not suggesting Foote becomes a legit 1D. But he has potential to become a top pairing complementary partner to someone like Hughes. Similar to Siegenthaler at the NJDs paired with Hamilton.

Just look at a guy like Perbix now 25 years old. A year ago his season consisted of 12 AHL games and 31 NCAA games. Steps up to the NHL and plays 69 games for TBL and looks like a legit top 4 guy.

I think a better target would be for him to become a Schenn type that can staple the 3rd pair RD spot for years. 

26 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

ron burgundy GIF

:lol: i love Ron! You know some people have been suggesting that Juulsen should be our top pairing RD next to Hughes. They are not saying "he has the potential to be" they are literally saying he should be playing there next season.

Getting Foote would be a low risk move with some potential upside. Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Foote could be that stay at home partner that fits with Hughes.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think a better target would be for him to become a Schenn type that can staple the 3rd pair RD spot for years. 

Which is why my original post said, he is a 3rd pairing guy with potential upside.

6 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Not sure it's actually the case, but it would be nice to see ownership and management aligned on the fact that the playoffs is the goal (Which I think it is), but knowing that it will be based on the performance of the core (Petey, Kuz, Miller (still would trade if we get a strong package), Hughes, Demko, Hronek etc).  Complimentary pieces are needed, but don't try and add an aging core piece through UFA yet, until the true core has proven they are close.  

We need to try low cost, high potential options where possible in this transition year in bets like Foote, Tryamkin, Fabbro etc because it's possible one emerges as part of the future core.  Kuzmenko was a good example of this and proved he was part of the core.  We just need to absolutely stay away for 30 year old free agents like Mayfield, Soucy etc as will will overpay for depth.  The viscous circle will continue if we do that.

Isn't Tryamkin that old?

32 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good points. Sometimes players take longer to develop and reach their potential. It isn't always a straight line of development, especially in cases where GMs like Benning are in charge of everything. 

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Isn't Tryamkin that old?

Yes he will be just 29 once the season starts, but he likely won't demand a long term deal.  Likely 2 years but maybe even 1, where as Soucy will require a 4 year pact I would think.  I could be wrong, but just assuming as players with career years in contract years always get pretty good contracts.  We've done that a few times before and it hasn't gone so well.  

32 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Jonas Siegenthaler had already proven his reputation as a shutdown defender in Washington.  While certainly a nice surprise for NJ, him becoming one of the league's best defensive D-men was a steady progression where he kept improving year after year.  His potential was readily apparent even three years ago.

Cal Foote's potential, on the other hand, is based on his time in junior many many years ago.  Today he doesn't really play well on either side of the puck.  Perbix, despite being older, was a rookie from college who outplayed Foote and stole his job.  Foote has played a lot of games in the NHL but is still failing to hold down a permanent role.  He improved slightly in Nashville and I believe he can eventually grow to become a steady bottom-pairing D-man, maybe like Luca Sbisa.  Trying to predict anything more from Foote ignores his past record.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good points. Sometimes players take longer to develop and reach their potential. It isn't always a straight line of development, especially in cases where GMs like Benning are in charge of everything. 

You can track Siegenthaler's growth in a pretty straight line.  He played harder minutes year after year and was as a consistent as a rock.

Could contain: Text, Adult, Male, Man, Person, Document, Face, Head

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Text, Face, Head