The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blackhawks re-sign Corey Perry

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They just hit the cap floor with this deal.  You would think they could have given him less and then flip him at the deadline.  Not sure exactly what Chicago is doing.  I guess they want to surround Bedard with veterans for the short term until their draft picks make the team.  

Most of their contracts will be wiped out in 2 years except for Jones.  I guess he will be the last man standing when Bedard signs his 15x8 extension...

Just checked capfriendly and he is still listed as a UFA.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/blackhawks

They are at $58,500,000.

Connor Bedard is still unsigned. 

He bring them to the cap floor.

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They just hit the cap floor with this deal.  You would think they could have given him less and then flip him at the deadline.  Not sure exactly what Chicago is doing.  I guess they want to surround Bedard with veterans for the short term until their draft picks make the team.  

Most of their contracts will be wiped out in 2 years except for Jones.  I guess he will be the last man standing when Bedard signs his 15x8 extension...

I think they have 17 skaters and 1 goalie now.  So they need to sign at least 7 more players.

I put up a proposal a week ago suggesting we go after Foligno and Perry - together earning $3M.  Instead Chicago signed them to $8M.

Davidson couldn't give a rat's ass about cap right now.  He's doing this simply because he can.

• Cheers 1

prolly the only way CP would be willing to go to chicago is to overpay him.. i mean it's not that big deal for chicago.. they still have like 20+ mil to weaponize.. and CP will be traded at the TDL for like a 2nd or 3rd rounder.. big body that might play with bedard and as a mentor and gone at the TDL? it's really not that bad.. all it cost them is money which they wont have problem recouping with bedard jersey sale... ppl would think twice before running bedard thru the board as perry will gladly drop the gloves

Hall Bedard Perry

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

prolly the only way CP would be willing to go to chicago is to overpay him.. i mean it's not that big deal for chicago.. they still have like 20+ mil to weaponize.. and CP will be traded at the TDL for like a 2nd or 3rd rounder.. big body that might play with bedard and as a mentor and gone at the TDL? it's really not that bad.. all it cost them is money which they wont have problem recouping with bedard jersey sale... ppl would think twice before running bedard thru the board as perry will gladly drop the gloves

Hall Bedard Perry

Go Ahead Yes GIF

40 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Hall Bedard Perry

If that is the first line, it is going to struggle mightily.  This is 2023 - you need three players who mesh well with each other.  Bedard needs good linemates more than he needs a bodyguard.  I suspect this mentoring stuff will be done on the bench and not directly on the ice.

Jack Hughes had a miserable first year in the NHL because he was stuck playing with Wayne Simmonds.  No way Chicago makes that mistake here.... right?

Chicago is a bottom feeder even with Bedard.  Those veterans like Perry, Foligno want to win a Cup before they call it quits.  Chicago had to pay to convince them.

Fitzgerald in NJD last off-season and Trotz now in Nashville explain the importance of bringing in winners for team culture.  Players in NJD talked of how it settled their room and how younger players started followed their lead.  There's a professionalism about guys who have been on deep playoff runs and know what it takes - how to stay even keeled, the focus and preparation.  All these things also matter in trying to take a team to the next level.

Chicago has to build a new culture but need some mentors to guide their kids without blocking them.

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If that is the first line, it is going to struggle mightily.  This is 2023 - you need three players who mesh well with each other.  Bedard needs good linemates more than he needs a bodyguard.  I suspect this mentoring stuff will be done on the bench and not directly on the ice.

Jack Hughes had a miserable first year in the NHL because he was stuck playing with Wayne Simmonds.  No way Chicago makes that mistake here.... right?

corey perry in his worse days is still better than wayne simmonds. CP struggled this year mainly playing with namestnikov and bellemare.. last season he was playing mainly with maroon as his center along with bellemare and they were relatively successful putting up .5 ppg in a 3rd/4th line role.. again in the games he played with maroon as his center he was going at a .5 ppg clip but not sure why they insist on putting him with namestnikov.

perry actually have talent unlike simmonds, and he shown he can still produce with the right linemate so it doesn't hurt for the chicago to give it a shot.. if it works? great Perry trade value go up.. if it doesn't work? no harm done try someone else and have perry in a pure mentor role

6 hours ago, mll said:

Chicago is a bottom feeder even with Bedard.  Those veterans like Perry, Foligno want to win a Cup before they call it quits.  Chicago had to pay to convince them.

Fitzgerald in NJD last off-season and Trotz now in Nashville explain the importance of bringing in winners for team culture.  Players in NJD talked of how it settled their room and how younger players started followed their lead.  There's a professionalism about guys who have been on deep playoff runs and know what it takes - how to stay even keeled, the focus and preparation.  All these things also matter in trying to take a team to the next level.

Chicago has to build a new culture but need some mentors to guide their kids without blocking them.

I don't get why it's hard for their fans to understand lol. The team is still looking to be in tanking mode again next season and having Toews/Kane won't help that. The team also  needs a new identity after the scandals even though no one talks about it anymore. They lucked out with a lottery win and brought in Perry and Foligno to protect Bedard. They actually got picks for eating the salary so it's like a win win win for them. 

I'm still upset they friggin won the lottery...argh I want Bedard to play for Vancouver but it just seems unlikely unless he pulls a Tavares. 

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

corey perry in his worse days is still better than wayne simmonds. CP struggled this year mainly playing with namestnikov and bellemare.. last season he was playing mainly with maroon as his center along with bellemare and they were relatively successful putting up .5 ppg in a 3rd/4th line role.. again in the games he played with maroon as his center he was going at a .5 ppg clip but not sure why they insist on putting him with namestnikov.

perry actually have talent unlike simmonds, and he shown he can still produce with the right linemate so it doesn't hurt for the chicago to give it a shot.. if it works? great Perry trade value go up.. if it doesn't work? no harm done try someone else and have perry in a pure mentor role

Perry was -26 on one of the best teams in the length

I guess I'm in the minority, I'm not weirded out by this. 

Chicago probably had to fork up extra cash to convince Perry to come to what's likely to be a bottom feeder team next season. One year commitmment so Chicago increases salary and they can do it since they have infinite cap space for the year.

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I guess I'm in the minority, I'm not weirded out by this. 

Chicago probably had to fork up extra cash to convince Perry to come to what's likely to be a bottom feeder team next season. One year commitmment so Chicago increases salary and they can do it since they have infinite cap space for the year.

I'm sure they have a handshake deal that if they are out of the running at the deadline they will try to move him to a contender.

What the heck are they doing? I get that they’re trying to reach the cap floor but there are good teams with actual decent players that they need to move for cap reasons. They could actually be bringing in players they can flip like Yamamoto and Kostin or just lower the sweetener ask on guys like Boeser or Garland. Lots of other teams have similar players where they could get assets to get to the floor by taking on decent players. Rather than overpaying everybody.