The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Hurricanes “Not Close” On Extension Talks With Pending UFAs

RWJC

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That's two proposals suggesting we give up our first round pick and/or prospects for Pesce.  And just what is a win-now team like Carolina going to do with picks/prospects??

It's actually the exact opposite. We should be "keeping" our picks and prospects, and build upon what we already have. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

eklund

says nicks have called in on a top pairing TOR dman... ? TJ Brodie?

how would that work?

Myers for Brodie? cannot imagine TO saying yes to that...

a 3 way ?

To SJS

Myers

Rathbone

TOR 

To TO

Karlsson with retention 

To VAN 

Brodie 

Stevie Nicks eyeing top D-men?!

Can't trust eklund...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol Carolina hangs up and block your number the moment u mention Myers. No contender is going to waste 6mil cap space on a bottom pairing defenceman 

How can anyone not want that marvelous neck on their team?????

Tyler Myers - Profile | NHLPA.com

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's a horrible deal for Carolina.

They take on $6 mil in cap, a garbage D, and a career AHLer. McDonough kind of sucked pretty bad in his 6 game stint. I don't think it gets you close at all unless no one else if offering up a first. But surely someone else would happily beat that offer. Try our first and D-Petey, or maybe our 1st,  Lekkerimaki, and Beau to even out the cap.

I'd probably do this TBH.  Trade Myers later, dump Garland and ensure we have enough room to lock up both Petey and Pesce long term.  With major adds like Pesce we probably contend if the rest of the cap is managed wisely. such that losing a LATE 2024 1st won't be too big of a deal.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Too bad all the Canucks can offer are cap dump. Hughes pesce hronek all of a sudden we go from a questionable defence last season to one of the best top 4 on paper

itll prolly take something similar to hronek trade to get pesce regardless he’s going to be a pending ufa.. a 1st and prolly a b prospect or a 2nd with no cap dump attached. If Carolina is set on defence and we can somehow work beau protected 1st and ++ the Canucks should definitely kick the tire hard. 

No way Canucks should be offering a 1st for a pending UFA. I’m assuming that 1st goes to Carolina, assuming that he signs a long term deal with the team. If not, then no way I take that risk. Lose a 1st, AND the player? Quickest way to get fired. 

But I agree that it’ll take quite a haul to get Pesce out of Carolina, something I feel like Vancouver doesn’t have the assets to do. I mean, I guess we could pursue Pesce in UFA, assuming he gets there

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Forget trading for Pesce.

They do not need what we can afford to pay. I'd love him too, hell Skjei as well, or?  

But we are not one piece from a championship.  Trading for rentals is a dead end street that will rob us of any loose change we might have!

Those cheap bastards did not want to trade us what we needed when we had a choice of moving Miller or Horvat. Nikishin or Morrow. One or the other + Kotkaniemi & a first. It cost them a championship run.  Let's not reward them for being miserly now.  

Also BOOO to all Canucks fans who said we should not take on Kotkaniemi's contract.  We now have Miller at nearly $60 Mill for it.  I don't hate Miller, but I would prefer that trade, gladly take on Kotkaniemi by comparison...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea that’s where I sour on the idea. Like how much does this guy want?

Sure the cap is going up so the deal will look better over time but how much does he want? 7+ mil?

We can’t afford to add more overpriced contracts.

Especially before extending Pettersson long term...Benning special, go use up your cap before you lock up BOTH Hughes and EP to 8yr 8m contracts...Now we have to pay EP at least 2-3m more cap hit wise 5 years sooner all cause we traded for Schmidt and that took up 5.9m in cap space ugh...Benning is Canada's Garth Snow?!?!?

• Haha 1

Step 1. Start rumours that Vancouver is working on a package for Peace. 

Step 2. Wait for season to start, Canes change their mind and keep him for a Cup run. 

Step 3. Sign him next summer. 

22 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Especially before extending Pettersson long term...Benning special, go use up your cap before you lock up BOTH Hughes and EP to 8yr 8m contracts...Now we have to pay EP at least 2-3m more cap hit wise 5 years sooner all cause we traded for Schmidt and that took up 5.9m in cap space ugh...Benning is Canada's Garth Snow?!?!?

There's no way that Petey would've signed for anything less then 9 million per year if we signed him for 8 years back then. Absolutely no chance. 

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea that’s where I sour on the idea. Like how much does this guy want?

Sure the cap is going up so the deal will look better over time but how much does he want? 7+ mil?

We can’t afford to add more overpriced contracts.

I'd guess somewhere between $5-$6'ish. Carolina is probably more worried about the term than the cap hit given their M.O.

I'd wager they're offering something like $5x4 to minimize risk and he's asking for ~$6x6-8. A difference of $20m vs $36m-$48m. Hence "not close".

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd guess somewhere between $5-$6'ish. Carolina is probably more worried about the term than the cap hit given their M.O.

I'd wager they're offering something like $5x4 to minimize risk and he's asking for ~$6x6-8. A difference of $20m vs $36m-$48m. Hence "not close".

IF he would accept a 6x6, I would be willing to attach a 1st to make it happen. He would immediately solidify our top 4, and create tons of depth and a GREAT D corps for 2023. And at 4m for the year, that is easily doable by moving a fwd and LTIR. 

Hughes_Pesce

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

That is an awesome D!

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Forget trading for Pesce.

They do not need what we can afford to pay. I'd love him too, hell Skjei as well, or?  

But we are not one piece from a championship.  Trading for rentals is a dead end street that will rob us of any loose change we might have!

Those cheap bastards did not want to trade us what we needed when we had a choice of moving Miller or Horvat. Nikishin or Morrow. One or the other + Kotkaniemi & a first. It cost them a championship run.  Let's not reward them for being miserly now.  

Also BOOO to all Canucks fans who said we should not take on Kotkaniemi's contract.  We now have Miller at nearly $60 Mill for it.  I don't hate Miller, but I would prefer that trade, gladly take on Kotkaniemi by comparison...

Great post. While it's true Pesce would really complete our team on paper there is a tonne of risk, and we simply can't afford to empty our coffers at this point. Maybe if he came with a contract but he's also getting up there in age. On the flip side, maybe he's just what we need to push this thing forward a couple gears as well.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Devron said:

We got the best defence in the league already. Don’t need Pesce.

Myers contract year. We can f$&@ sh!t up

I’d be willing to bet “contract year Myers” turns some heads. Especially since he’ll be playing down the lineup and/or with a good partner.  

Our cap situation (and everyone’s) opens up a bit next year anyways that’s where we  can try and get cute landing a longer term RD.  Maybe even Pesce if he doesn’t pan out wherever he lands.

• Like 1