The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeff Jackson, Connor McDavid's agent, to become Edmonton Oilers president

Rate this topic

Oilers hire Connor McDavid's agent Jeff Jackson as CEO of hockey operations (sportsnet.ca)

Oilers hire Connor McDavid's agent Jeff Jackson as CEO of hockey operations

Edmonton-Oilers-arena-Rogers-Place.jpg

Home of the Edmonton Oilers, Rogers Place. (Jason Franson/CP)

August 3, 2023, 9:25 AM

Former player agent Jeff Jackson, whose client list included superstar Connor McDavid, has been named CEO of hockey operations for the Edmonton Oilers, the team announced Thursday.

The Oilers said Jackson will oversee all aspects of the organization's NHL, AHL and WHL teams.

Jackson had been the executive vice-president of Wasserman Hockey, a prominent global agency well-known for representing numerous NHL stars, including the Oilers captain.

He will report directly to Oilers owner Daryl Katz, while Ken Holland remains the general manager and president of hockey operations. The team said Holland will report to Jackson, who replaces Bob Nicholson as the team's second-in-command.

“(Jackson) brings tremendous industry insight, knowledge and leadership built through a unique career experience that is ideal for this leadership role,” Katz said in a statement. "He understands what it takes to build an elite organization for the modern NHL and will work closely with Ken and our whole team to put the Oilers in the best possible position to win.”

The former corporate and entertainment lawyer brings significant NHL experience to the new role, having served as assistant general manager and director of hockey operations for the Toronto Maple Leafs from 2006 to 2010. 

Nicholson, the former CEO of Hockey Canada, was hired by the Oilers in 2014 and has served as both the team's CEO and chairman.

He is now listed on the team's website as a special adviser and alternate governor.

As a player, Jackson played 263 NHL games with the Leafs, Quebec Nordiques and Chicago Blackhawks.

McDavid, the NHL’s reigning MVP who's widely considered the best hockey player in the world, has three years left on his contract.

“Jeff and I have had a long, fruitful relationship,” McDavid said. “I have witnessed his care, relentlessness and obvious knowledge of the game and industry first-hand. I look forward to working with Jeff in his new role and am excited about what this means for the future of the Oilers.”

Wasserman Hockey executive vice-president Judd Moldaver takes over as McDavid’s agent with Jackson joining the Oilers. Moldaver also represents Toronto Maple Leafs star and 2022 MVP Auston Matthews.

Hockey Hall of Famer and former Edmonton defenceman Paul Coffey will assist Jackson in his new role

• Haha 2

Agent to President/Hockey Ops seems to be a better transition than Agent to GM. When agents become GMs, other GMs seem to not like dealing with them whereas actually building some business chops as an agent helps with managing team budgets and responsibility allocations as a president. Obviously this is all just my personal observation. 

Still a little bit odd to hire the agent of your biggest star to run the team though.

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Agent to President/Hockey Ops seems to be a better transition than Agent to GM. When agents become GMs, other GMs seem to not like dealing with them whereas actually building some business chops as an agent helps with managing team budgets and responsibility allocations as a president. Obviously this is all just my personal observation. 

Still a little bit odd to hire the (former) agent of your biggest star to run the team though.

1 hour ago, Rabbit said:

Is there conflict of interest?

You honestly think the NHL cares when they were allowing Colin Campbell to openly order the officials to rig games with written documentation while his son was playing?

Edited by King Heffy

On 8/5/2023 at 5:02 AM, Rabbit said:

Is there conflict of interest?

I am assuming when an Agent takes front office management duties they will divest from their duties as an Agent. 

I assume the same was the case for Gillis 

So I don't see a conflict of interest if this is the case

• Cheers 1