The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's a sensible explanation to me

yea it probably ends up being the decision of some software monkey making 110k a year who just ended up sorting their directories by file size and proposed to scrape this among other things

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say the NHL would be more on the hook than Aquilini

The forum is under the domain canucks.com, its not under nhl.com. Lots of teams don't have forums or have closed their forums ages ago. The NHL wasn't the one that forced those teams to close their forums.

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

The forum is under the domain canucks.com, its not under nhl.com. Lots of teams don't have forums or have closed their forums ages ago. The NHL wasn't the one that forced those teams to close their forums.

all team sites are powered by the NHL.  It,literally, says NHL.comin the top left corner

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

all team sites are powered by the NHL.  It,literally, says NHL.comin the top left corner

The Canucks official website is under the domain nhl.com, but the forum is under the domain name canucks.com. Its literally right there in your search bar. Again if the NHL was the one shutting down forums then they would have closed all of them down at once and not left some alive and closed down others. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

pretty much

Didn't I see on here it only costs $150 a year or what is so costly if it has no employees or overhead? I would imagine it takes a fair bit of storage space but that's as cheap as borscht these days.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Doubt a message board is too much work. If you have ppl running a website, the message board isnt going to cost much more if at all.

Yeah, I don't think it's costly. Personally I think FA got tired of people giving their opinions on how much we've sucked the past decade. This site certainly doesn't make any money or provide an avenue towards getting more money. That would be my guess.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

costs $150 a year

I think that's the monthly amount.

But yes feels like a short sighted decision. However all that matters in this market is that they are a successful team and the "fans" will spend. And now that we have our "new" forum, they are also saving on this cost as well while we maintain our community. So in the end, it's a smart business decision on their end?

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But yes feels like a short sighted decision. However all that matters in this market is that they are a successful team and the "fans" will spend. And now that we have our "new" forum, they are also saving on this cost as well while we maintain our community. So in the end, it's a smart business decision on their end?

150 a month is too much for them?

Ffs i spend more a month on toilet paper. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This reminds me of the Eddie Murphy Raw movie when he's talking about Johnny Carson and his wife getting divorced. He made a joke about how happy with a big smile Johnny looked in the paper one day when the caption read "Johnny worth 300 million". Next week Johnny was in the exact same pose but this time he had a huge frown and the caption read, Johnny getting divorced, wife wants half - 150 million. He then went on to talk about how his ex wasn't exactly doing 50% of the work in the relationship. Eddie was hypothetically asking, "so did his ex like get like a job cleaning on the weekends and she was all happily talking to Johnny each week saying "ok so here's my $75 ... now we have 300 million and 75 dollars. I want half. :lol:

Anyways, saving $1800 a year doesn't seem like much of a big deal when they charge $47 for two hotdogs and two beers at a game to go along with $300 tickets. 

5 hours ago, Toews said:

The Canucks official website is under the domain nhl.com, but the forum is under the domain name canucks.com. Its literally right there in your search bar. Again if the NHL was the one shutting down forums then they would have closed all of them down at once and not left some alive and closed down others. 

This is the exact problem here. Instead of all these ideas, great feedback and arguments about players possible trades, prospects in the system, management, the team WERE owned by the Canucks, vetted by Canucks......

All our conversations will now be available to SportsNet, AKA Toronto friggin LEAVES.