The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What Boeser might need is more of a playmaking facilitator on his line. Problem is Petey and Miller like to drive the play a lot more on that line and it takes away the opportunities for Boeser. Reason why Virtanen is working out well is because he can keep up with them and really complements both players. He knows his role on that line and is playing it to perfection.

Great offensive players can a lot of the time work in pairs and Petey/Miller are that. The 3rd guy is usually the lesser of the three offensively but can complement both well with their own solid skill set.

For example...

Kassian with McDavid/Drisaitl 

Landeskog with Mackinnon/Rantanen 

Bergeron with Marchand/Pasternak

Wilson with OV/Backstrom 

Hyman with Matthews/Marner

It might be the case here where it just works out to be better for Petey/Miller to have a complementary guy in Virtanen on their line rather than someone like Boes.

Tisk tisk Bergeron is an all Worldly player.

9 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Tisk tisk Bergeron is an all Worldly player.

You mistook what I said. I never stated that players can't be really good at other things just not world class elite offensively like the other players on their line.

For sure defensively, Selke center,  but he doesn't drive the play offensively, he complements Marchand/Pasternak in that regard like how the others I mention do the same. 

The theory is that Virtanen can do the same and complement our two best forwards who like to control/drive play. Likely not at Bergeron's level but nevertheless a good one.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

You mistook what I said. I never stated that players can't be really good at other things just not world class elite offensively like the other players on their line.

For sure defensively, Selke center,  but he doesn't drive the play offensively, he complements Marchand/Pasternak in that regard like how the others I mention do the same. 

I was just messing about

• Like 1

An anonymous NHL executive was asked "Who says no" in regards to a Boeser/Dumba swap and he says Vancouver says no as per The Athletic.  Thoughts?  I'd entertain the offer, Dumba is signed to 2023 iirc.  

As much as I love Virtanen on that first line, eventually we will see Brock back up there with Miller and Pettersson.

But I have to think Green not only is using this to get a different look for the first line, but also trying to stretch and mold Boeser into being a complete player who isn't dependent on Pettersson.  Yes Boeser needs a playmaker to get him the puck to score cause that is his bread and butter.  But Boeser needs to add more elements to his game.  He was once a play driver himself before Petey was even here.  Not only that, Boes playing with Gaudette and Roussel who have never ending motors is forcing him to elevate the pace of his game.  He still seems like a stride behind the play, but has improved where he looked significantly out of sorts at the beginning of the season.

When it comes to the playoffs, Boeser will need to elevate all aspects of his game.  TG is making decisions to help the team now in the present moment (where Virtanen gives him the best option to succeed on the first line) but also looking to the future (teaching Boeser to refine his game and elevate those aspects).

There will be times Boeser won't be a permanent fixture with Pettersson, and Green will count on him to do other things.  Seems like right now Green is trying to figure out whether Boeser can do that on another line.  In the long run this is going to help grow Boeser's game so that he isn't just termed as a "shooter".

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

What Boeser might need is more of a playmaking facilitator on his line. Problem is Petey and Miller like to drive the play a lot more on that line and it takes away the opportunities for Boeser. Reason why Virtanen is working out well is because he can keep up with them and really complements both players. He knows his role on that line and is playing it to perfection.

Great offensive players can a lot of the time work in pairs and Petey/Miller are that. The 3rd guy is usually the lesser of the three offensively but can complement both well with their own solid skill set.

For example...

Kassian with McDavid/Drisaitl 

Landeskog with Mackinnon/Rantanen 

Bergeron with Marchand/Pasternak

Wilson with OV/Backstrom 

Hyman with Matthews/Marner

It might be the case here where it just works out to be better for Petey/Miller to have a complementary guy in Virtanen on their line rather than someone like Boes.

Absolutely. Fans need to understand that this year's Canucks is not a finished product. Management and coaching staff are trying to figure out the line combinations as much as the players are. It took years for Alain Vigneault to put Burrows with the Sedins. For many years Kesler on the second line did not have reliable wingers and he was criticized for not using his wingers. It is inevitable that with trades and young prospects in the future the Canucks would look very different in the future when they are contending. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

An anonymous NHL executive was asked "Who says no" in regards to a Boeser/Dumba swap and he says Vancouver says no as per The Athletic.  Thoughts?  I'd entertain the offer, Dumba is signed to 2023 iirc.  

Dumba is having a pretty off year right now, which makes the deal a lot more risky. Add to that the fact that Dumba's 3 years older and I'd be pretty hesitant to go forward with it.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dumba is having a pretty off year right now, which makes the deal a lot more risky. Add to that the fact that Dumba's 3 years older and I'd be pretty hesitant to go forward with it.

I'd say our forward group is deeper than our D pool so I would consider it.  An off year means a lower asking price.  

• Upvote 1

While I love the look of the lotto line I feel like Virtanen brings more to the first line with Miller and Petey than Boeser does. As has been mentioned above Miller and Petey like to drive the play and like to shoot, they are not necessarily looking to be the setup man for Boeser.   This has led to Boeser's reduced goal totals but has attributed to way more assists as he is not the trigger man on the line. JV's speed and forcheck are great for puck retrieval while Boeser shot and release are ideal to be the trigger man which is why I feel JV on the first line is a better option.

With that said I believe Boeser's talents are wasted on the 3rd line. He's not getting the opportunities to use his skill set to its potential.  I would love to see him get time on Bo's wing again. I know LE has been playing well on that line of late but would rather see Boeser there at least for a game or 2 to try and get him going again.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I like Dumba but I think long-term it makes more sense to keep Boeser.  There is no need to trade Boeser, and whenever you hear it brought up its always to Minnesota. Minny clearly wants him, but in that case they should have picked the kid from their own backyard when he was sitting there at 20 rather than Eriksson-Ek. The only way I see something like this going down is if Boeser explicitly requests a trade back to Minnesota to be closer to his dad, which I wouldn't blame him for, but beyond that its unlikely.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

While I love the look of the lotto line I feel like Virtanen brings more to the first line with Miller and Petey than Boeser does. As has been mentioned above Miller and Petey like to drive the play and like to shoot, they are not necessarily looking to be the setup man for Boeser.   This has led to Boeser's reduced goal totals but has attributed to way more assists as he is not the trigger man on the line. JV's speed and forcheck are great for puck retrieval while Boeser shot and release are ideal to be the trigger man which is why I feel JV on the first line is a better option.

With that said I believe Boeser's talents are wasted on the 3rd line. He's not getting the opportunities to use his skill set to its potential.  I would love to see him get time on Bo's wing again. I know LE has been playing well on that line of late but would rather see Boeser there at least for a game or 2 to try and get him going again.

like many young players,Bies is just going to have to put his head down, work hard and wait for his chance.  Until the players in the top 6 string some poor games together, it's unlikely he's going to move up.

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

How does Virtanen stepping up make Brock expandable, like common the second Loui comes out of the line Brock get popped onto Bos line and that would be a pretty lethal second line

well, it does show us that it's Petey and Miller, rather than Petey and Boes and that Jake is more than capable of stepping into that spot and add to the effectiveness of Petey and Miller.  What might make Boes expendable is a healthy Leivo and Ferland and the fact that they need to add to the dcorp.........Boes is a valuable chip to dangle out there to fill that need.  I highly doubt that will happen, but it's not an unrealistic scenario.

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

How does Virtanen stepping up make Brock expandable, like common the second Loui comes out of the line Brock get popped onto Bos line and that would be a pretty lethal second line

Brock eating 20 Big Macs a day would make him expandable.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, it does show us that it's Petey and Miller, rather than Petey and Boes and that Jake is more than capable of stepping into that spot and add to the effectiveness of Petey and Miller.  What might make Boes expendable is a healthy Leivo and Ferland and the fact that they need to add to the dcorp.........Boes is a valuable chip to dangle out there to fill that need.  I highly doubt that will happen, but it's not an unrealistic scenario.

BB has been putting up good numbers since day 1.  Was a calder candidate before EP and Miller joined the team.  Kid consistenly putting up near PPG on that top line.

JV is having a career year, and has only been on that line for a few games.  Even with career year it might be a stretch for him to get 50 points. Id be far more cautious and wait and see if this is a long term trend or if its a blip when it comes to JV.

This might sound funny to you but all this reminds me of Cam Neely and Jimmy Sandlak.  Jimmy started playing well and as a result Management thought they could fill some holes by trading Neely because Sandlak made him expendable.  Not a good move and moral of the story was wait for some consistent long term performance before betting on one horse.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

BB has been putting up good numbers since day 1.  Was a calder candidate before EP and Miller joined the team.  Kid consistenly putting up near PPG on that top line.

JV is having a career year, and has only been on that line for a few games.  Even with career year it might be a stretch for him to get 50 points. Id be far more cautious and wait and see if this is a long term trend or if its a blip when it comes to JV.

This might sound funny to you but all this reminds me of Cam Neely and Jimmy Sandlak.  Jimmy started playing well and as a result Management thought they could fill some holes by trading Neely because Sandlak made him expendable.  Not a good move and moral of the story was wait for some consistent long term performance before betting on one horse.

except the Canucks have a ton of young, talented wingers coming up.........that team had Sandlak and that was about it!

11 minutes ago, Darius said:

We are in a really good place no need right now to make rash decision and trade away one of our most consistent scorers when we have a prospect pool that is still near the top of our league id think we give the rathbones woo’s OJ rafferty a shot before messing with an offensive that is finally getting us goals!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

except the Canucks have a ton of young, talented wingers coming up.........that team had Sandlak and that was about it!

What young defender would you trade Brock for that would fit into our long term plan, keep in mind brock will probably be scoring 40 in his prime( educated guess considering he was on pace for 30 his first 2 seasons)