The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If it Quacks like a Duck: WT?

oldnews

What's down with the Ducks?

I have to admit - I thought the Ducks management had lost a marble or two during the offseason when they elected to add some strange assets to their mix - Shane O'Brien, Tim Jackman, Brian McGratton...These may be quality guys, but they're not the types of tweaks that were going to get them over any hump.  And then there were the more realistic roster additions....what was a weak possession player like Stewart going to do to help them beat the Hawks next time around?  I dunno, but let's not kid ourselves - their problems aren't with the fringe assets they added in the summer.   Santo seemed like an exception, but he hasn't played well either.

So what gives?   Does Perry hate Kesler?   Has Boudreau's shelf-life expired?

They have no shortage of firepower, but they can't score goals.   Getzlaf no goals, Kesler 1, Hagelin 1 goal (a mere 2 points), Sekac 1 goal, Maroon 1 goal, Silfverberg has yet to score (and a mere 2 assists).   With a mobile blueline like theirs - Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm... how could that be?  Surely we're not going to blame all this on Juice.

One would think that such a terrible start might come down to their young goaltending - but Anderson has been excellent (.924 sv%) - how could he have 3 wins and 9 losses (3-5-4) with numbers like that and that team in front of him?

So what is it about the Ducks that they haven't been able to get their act together thus far?

Has Bruce Boudreau turned them into the Washington-Capitals-West.  Loads of talent but mediocrity underlying?

Has Kesler wrecked the dressing room with his shoulder-chip and photo-bombs? (Sorry Kes, we love you, but your struggles are hard not to enjoy).

It aint adding up.  Any ideas?

Ducks are currently shooting at a league-worst 4.52% at 5-on-5. Considering that no team in the last 8 years has finished with a rate below 5.5% over a full season, one would think that their scoring drought shouldn't last forever, not with that kind of talent at least.

Whether they can still pull it together to make another serious Cup challenge is another question. Been reading the Ducks forums just to see what they think. Among other things, Getzlaf and Bieksa have been trash, Silfverberg looks like he's lost his confidence, Perry is just snakebitten, and Kesler is doing fine.

Some of it has been pinned on Boudreau, but most of the blame has been directed towards Bob Murray. Replacing Beauchemin with Bieksa, Palmieri with Hagelin, and not really adding much else to the lineup.

Part of me wants to go "duh duh duh.... another Duck bites the dust"

The other part of me questions why they took Bieksa instead of keeping Beauchemin (and thanks them at the same time)....

Other than that, I really don't know to be honest. I haven't really looked at their changes close up.

An elite duo of superstars entering their thirties starting the downslope of their careers? A big personality prima donna two-way center? And who is that guy on the backend making the casual high danger outlet passes back there?

wait wait wait, I think we watched this movie before

they're not as bad as their record indicates, that's for sure

bieksa sucks ass though, that contract is dumb and so is kesler's. it's just fact. they let go of beauchemin because he wanted too much, but gave bieksa the same years beauch would have had, and beauch is 10x the player bieksa is at this stage in both their careers

and their bottom six is clearly lacking. if there's a team that should go after barrie, it's anaheim.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think a lot of people underestimated Kyle Palmieri, Francois Beauchemin, and Matt Beleskey.

Palmieri: 17GP, 6G, 8A, +3
Beauchemin: 17GP, 2G, 8A, +5
Beleskey: 14GP, 2G, 5A, +2

It is all with the bold. I still can't believe they didn't re-sign him. The guy is great. On top of that they essentially replaced him with Bieksa.  Talk about going full retard.

11 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think a lot of people underestimated Kyle Palmieri, Francois Beauchemin, and Matt Beleskey.

Palmieri: 17GP, 6G, 8A, +3
Beauchemin: 17GP, 2G, 8A, +5
Beleskey: 14GP, 2G, 5A, +2

Yeah, Chris Stewart, Juice, and ? (Tim Jackman) just aren't comparables.

Archived