The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maybe Pedan not perfect, but he shows what this team has been lacking

*Buzzsaw*

Watching the Edmonton game and Pedan really brought home what the Canucks have been lacking for a long time.

That being a physical defenseman.  Sure Alex Edler was that kind of player when he started, but he stopped being dominant after his back injury in 2011, he really has not been the same since.  And Dan Hamhuis, who isn't the biggest guy but who used to hit a lot, has also tailed off since he was injured after the hit on Lucic.  And of course, Willy Mitchell has been gone since 2010...  :(

We really haven't had a defenseman who could just KNOCK an opposing forward off the puck... not have to struggle to contain them.

Not that I'm saying Pedan is the solution right now, he is clearly not the fastest guy on the ice, and his decision making is sometimes a little slow, but just watching him lay the body put a smile on my face.  If he can continue to develop, he will bring the much needed extra dimension of physicality to the Canuck's back end.

From my perspective, the Canucks are actually reasonably well set up right now for puck moving defensemen, with Hutton, Tanev and Edler, but what they desperately need is a big tough D man who can lay down the law along the boards.  This has to be one of the highest priorities going forward into the draft or when looking at free agents.

I've liked what I've seen from him already. He's clearly going to become a fixture on the blueline, not this season, but next. I think he becomes waiver eligible next season and I doubt the Canucks will be willing to risk him next year like they did Corrado this year. Unlike Corrado, where they had many players similar to style as him, Pedan plays a game more "unique" in the Canucks system in that he's a forechecker tough guy with a nice touch with the puck from time to time. I look forward to seeing him develop as a Canuck in the near future... he sure is a helluva upgrade on Mallet.

Too bad the defense is decimated. 

Pedan could be given protected minutes so we could better gague his readiness.  Work him into the lineup gradually would be the preferred scenario as opposed to an emergency call up situation. 

A physical Dman has been a big need since Harold! Beiga and Bartkowski have been showing some battle as well. Pedan stands out because his hits are big. Looking forward to the LA game.  

Horvat was 60% FO% which goes a long way towards puck possession.  

Considering that Weber is supposed to be on the team to score goals but he has proven that he can't hit the broad side of a barn, he should be replaced by someone who can at least hit something.

I was so excited to see big 6'5,  217lbs of Pedan hit some people..Shocking to see such a big physical Dman

and he can skate, hit, move the puck..I have be waiting and writing about him, hope he stays up we have been missing this

for a few years...He only played 10 mins but looked good no real mistakes will become your number 4 or 5 guy soon..

We have another bigger guy coming much the same but bigger 6'7, 230lbs  Trymakin 21 yrs old,good skater, tough, still playing in Russsian league but should play on farm team next yr..Go Pedan Go...Toughness coming, oh watched Tate Olson 6'3, 190lbs, 18yrs old last yrs pick from Prince George Cougars he looked good very offensive 28 GP... 23pts

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I've liked what I've seen from him already. He's clearly going to become a fixture on the blueline, not this season, but next. I think he becomes waiver eligible next season and I doubt the Canucks will be willing to risk him next year like they did Corrado this year. Unlike Corrado, where they had many players similar to style as him, Pedan plays a game more "unique" in the Canucks system in that he's a forechecker tough guy with a nice touch with the puck from time to time. I look forward to seeing him develop as a Canuck in the near future... he sure is a helluva upgrade on Mallet.

Pedan is a stay at home defenseman. Not exactly comparable to Mallet who's a forward. Were you thinking of MacKenzie Stewart or Stewart MacKenzie can't remember the order 

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Watching the Edmonton game and Pedan really brought home what the Canucks have been lacking for a long time.

That being a physical defenseman.  Sure Alex Edler was that kind of player when he started, but he stopped being dominant after his back injury in 2011, he really has not been the same since.  And Dan Hamhuis, who isn't the biggest guy but who used to hit a lot, has also tailed off since he was injured after the hit on Lucic.  And of course, Willy Mitchell has been gone since 2010...  :(

We really haven't had a defenseman who could just KNOCK an opposing forward off the puck... not have to struggle to contain them.

Not that I'm saying Pedan is the solution right now, he is clearly not the fastest guy on the ice, and his decision making is sometimes a little slow, but just watching him lay the body put a smile on my face.  If he can continue to develop, he will bring the much needed extra dimension of physicality to the Canuck's back end.

From my perspective, the Canucks are actually reasonably well set up right now for puck moving defensemen, with Hutton, Tanev and Edler, but what they desperately need is a big tough D man who can lay down the law along the boards.  This has to be one of the highest priorities going forward into the draft or when looking at free agents.

Like most others, I agree. What I cannot understand is why Pedan did not get a look before now. I guess the plan was to give him a full year with Travis Green to make sure that good habits are ingrained, but he has some things the Canucks obviously need so I like having him on the team now.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Hutton sure.

Edler and Tanev are not what I would describe as Puck Moving Defenceman. We definitely still have needs there!

But great overall post. Yes we are desperate for capable size and physical play on D. Many of us have been calling for it for quite some time!

Archived