The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

27 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I thought Myers contract had a provision that he will not have to be protected in the Expansion.  If the Canucks want to protect him they can but they don't have to.

I remember reading something similar when we did sign him, so I looked up his contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/tyler-myers

If this is accurate, then he will have a modified NTC as early as next season, so we won't have to protect him regardless (or we still can if we choose to do so). His contract looks structured to get a signing bonus for the expansion year, so I wonder if that will play a part in "protecting" him as a new franchise may not want to fork out the 5 million bonus money up front. He has a bonus on his final year as well, which could make it more feasible to trading him in his final year should a team want his cap, but not his salary.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Myers' NMC is only for this season. It becomes a modified NTC for the rest of the contract, which allows him to have 10 teams he is not allowed to be traded to. We technically don't need to protect him and I wonder if maybe we actually don't, which would allow us to make a big splash signing/trade and protect that player.

As mentioned already, Benn's contract will expire at the same time as Edler, so it would be a similar circumstance that allows him the freedom to actually join any team or re-sign instead of possibly being plucked up by Seattle.

Is Rafferty eligible? I'm not sure he meets the pro requirement as it would be similar to Hughes in that I don't think last year counted since he didn't get enough games.

I can't see us retaining Tanev and Stecher beyond this season due to cap reasons and depending if Fantenberg wants to stay here and if we can afford him, I have my doubts that we need to protect him as well (and likely won't even if it comes to it). Sautner might move on unless he happy with a 7th/8th pressbox cheap dman role (NHL salary though).

I think we are pretty comfortably set on defense in terms of the expansion.

As per Cap Friendly Rafferty must be protected. I think it has to do with his age. Even though he will only have 2 years of pro experience like Hughes he signed his pro contract when he was over the age of 20. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As per Cap Friendly Rafferty must be protected. I think it has to do with his age. Even though he will only have 2 years of pro experience like Hughes he signed his pro contract when he was over the age of 20. 

We can only lose one guy to Seattle.  If it’s Rafferty then that’s no great loss.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well I guess we will have to see how he progresses next year. Olli is protected. Possibly Tryamkin. We may gamble leaving Myers unprotected (nice to have this option) if Rafferty grows his game over the next year worthy of a top 4 D spot.

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Anyone watch the Comets game tonight?

Juolevi was on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals scored against. I don't think that's good

Had a couple assists so he was factoring into both ends of the ice at least. 

Were they all caused by his mistakes?

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Olli Juolevi was on the ice for seven of the first seven goals scored tonight. Defensively, he’s a complete liability whenever that puck is out of his reach. When there is a loose puck sitting out of arms reach of Juolevi and an opponent is racing for it, I tense up. History has shown that unless Juolevi’s linemates make the extra effort to recover on the loose puck, then there is likely a scoring chance going the other way. Offensively, the guy is dynamite from the point. His shot is crisp and almost always finds its way towards the net. Even someone as reliable as Ashton Sautner can’t make up for Juolevi’s skating deficiencies, however. I don’t know if I could single-out Juolevi on any of those goals-against as the first three were the result of pretty poor puck tracking and rebound control from MDP. Still, those odd-man rushes generated by Juolevi’s lack of skate speed will not allow him to succeed at the NHL level, let alone at the AHL level.

What the? I’m sure it’s been said many times before....we should have got Tkachuck. JB’s biggest mistake at the draft. EVERYONE had ranked him over OJ :sadno:

Never pick positional need over the best player available. 

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

What the? I’m sure it’s been said many times before....we should have got Tkachuck. JB’s biggest mistake at the draft. EVERYONE had ranked him over OJ :sadno:

Never pick positional need over the best player available. 

Hindsight makes everyone smart!!??

• Cheers 1

I was at the game and honestly, he didn’t have a good game. I know 1 of the goals he was on the ice for wasn’t his fault. It was scored right off the face off. Him and Sauntner both had a rough game. I know he’s rusty from not playing much, but last night I was at the point of shaking my head and I kept saying “he was the 5th overall pick”?  I’ll be at the game in Tuesday and will post another update. 

• Upvote 3

I thought he had trouble closing the gap between him and the puck carrier.  I do believe he has had better games though.  Comet Fan 0727, I love hearing from a guy who has been at the game.  I watch the games on AHLTV but they don't always catch everything that goes  on in the game.  thanks for the report.  They play tonight I think.  WJC this morning, a Comets game at 4 pm PST and the Canucks at 7 pm.  Should be a fun day. :towel:Go Canada, Comets and Canucks Go :towel:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

I was at the game and honestly, he didn’t have a good game. I know 1 of the goals he was on the ice for wasn’t his fault. It was scored right off the face off. Him and Sauntner both had a rough game. I know he’s rusty from not playing much, but last night I was at the point of shaking my head and I kept saying “he was the 5th overall pick”?  I’ll be at the game in Tuesday and will post another update. 

Which team are you an NHL fan of?  I’m thinking you might be a bit biased.  When the Flames had their farm team here there were a lot of negative reports (from fans at the games) about the Flame’s prospects.  

OJ is going to be a 40 point NHL D man and part of our three Cup wins this coming decade. 

Go Canucks.  Hate those eastern teams.  Rags suck.  Jersey sucks worse.  Leafs will always be losers.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which team are you an NHL fan of?  I’m thinking you might be a bit biased.  When the Flames had their farm team here there were a lot of negative reports (from fans at the games) about the Flame’s prospects.  

OJ is going to be a 40 point NHL D man and part of our three Cup wins this coming decade. 

Go Canucks.  Hate those eastern teams.  Rags suck.  Jersey sucks worse.  Leafs will always be losers.

I can hear you stomping your feet from here. The man give an appraisal of the game he attended and you trash him. Where's the logic in that. Alternate facts at play

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Olli Juolevi was on the ice for seven of the first seven goals scored tonight. Defensively, he’s a complete liability whenever that puck is out of his reach. When there is a loose puck sitting out of arms reach of Juolevi and an opponent is racing for it, I tense up. History has shown that unless Juolevi’s linemates make the extra effort to recover on the loose puck, then there is likely a scoring chance going the other way. Offensively, the guy is dynamite from the point. His shot is crisp and almost always finds its way towards the net. Even someone as reliable as Ashton Sautner can’t make up for Juolevi’s skating deficiencies, however. I don’t know if I could single-out Juolevi on any of those goals-against as the first three were the result of pretty poor puck tracking and rebound control from MDP. Still, those odd-man rushes generated by Juolevi’s lack of skate speed will not allow him to succeed at the NHL level, let alone at the AHL level.

Sadly, that is my evaluation, too - at least to this point. As other young players with Utica have shown, though (Lind and Gadjovich) workingon their skating can rectify that issue. We should also remember that skating was the knock on Horvat when he first came up, and Gaudette’s skating is much improved this year over last.  Remember that Juolevi has spent most of the past two years recovering from injuries - that makes very hard to improve one’s skating. A full off-season of training to strengthen his core (that would vastly improve his agility and quickness) and power skating could rectify that problem - if he is willing to put in the work.

Edited by Ray_Cathode
Spelling