The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

56 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I read The Hockey News magazine and they had Keller as the best prospect in their top 50 prospects in all of the NHL. Then other prospects we passed on like Nylander, McAvoy, Sergachev were in the top 10. Juolevi was ranked #15 which is pretty decent but it's sad when all those guys are ranked ahead and we had the chance to pick one of them. Boeser wasn't far behind though ranked #19. I really love Juolevi and he deserved to be ranked in the top 10 at least. We really have to hit a home run with this year's pick. Whether it's Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Middlestadt or whoever, we need to make the most out of this pick and address our needs which is obviously in C. 

Individual rankings, this far out, aren't very useful. Grouped rankings are much more accurate.

Take the 2003 draft (used because it was a good solid draft through the first round) and try to rerank now with hindsight the first two rounds. If you gave it to 10 people you would have 10 different lists. Some people would always be top 5 or top 10, then later round... you could group them into clusters but it would be a hell of a lot harder to definitively say 'player A is better than player B' in many many cases.

For starters you would have to ask questions like 'when'. Currently? Over the course of their career? Some were shortened or curtailed by injures like Nathan Horton. Where would you draft Brett Burns? Right now maybe 1st overall but 8-10 years ago that would be crazy. 

If we can't rank them 100% with hindsight how are we supposed to looking forward.

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I really don't see Keller struggling much specifically due to the size of the West. He's way too smart to put himself in a position to get trucked into the boards. The only thing that would suffer is he might lose some more board battles, but there are a lot of winger that could do that part for him in Arizona. He's got amazing IQ, vision, agility, hands and evasiveness. He was my favourite along with Sergachev last year and is probably my favourite non-Canuck outside the NHL. 

Going back to the draft, I think it would be a good idea to draft another defenseman. Liljegren could bring a new element to our defense and make us that much better. Valimaki also looks like a pretty good option as well. I'm not sold on Makar and probably wouldn't take him in the top ten but he could be a good high risk pick after that. 

The reason I say we should pick defenseman is because none of these forwards outside the top 2 look like they can offer us something we don't already have. All these centres and winger look like they will top out as 2nd line players, which we already have. I don't think anyone could realistically displace what we already have:

________ - _________ - Boeser

Dahlen - Horvat - Goldobin

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood 

The only player besides a defenseman and the top 2 I could see fitting with our team is Vilardi. He could be a good 2nd line winger. His only real knock is his skating as he is big, strong and smart. I'm not sure if he could get it to Horvat heights, but I expect it to improve. He will be a big guy that is really hard to knock off the puck when he fills out even more. He would looks great with some pieces we already have:

Dahlen - Horvat - Vilardi

That's a hardworking, smart and defensively responsible line. The only concern would be the collective speed, but I think it would be fine as Horvat is the only one that has important defensive responsibilities and he is fast enough. 

Going back to defenseman, I think Liljegren would really solidify our group. We would have a pretty diverse range of skill sets, with a good mix of IQ, puck moving, size and stay at home guys. The only thing would be Liljegren would be pretty similar to what we already have in Stetcher, but that doesn't sound like a bad thing. Our D core would look pretty great if we got him since he is in our range:

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Liljegren

Brisebois - Stetcher

Hutton

Granlund is a fist line elite talent!

I think we would get good value in the draft if we take the top dman with our first round pick. Then with our second rounder take a centre like:

Joshua Norris

Aleksi Heponiemi

Robert Thomas

I know the top centres have very high ceilings but so does the top dman. I think these centres could become efficient 2nd line playmakers with proper development. Is that a good idea our should be take top centre with our first rounder?

Since next year has some generational talent and Horvat is set as our top 1 or 2 centre.  There is some logic at this years draft to picking a D with our first pick (at 5-8). 

Cale Makar or Timothy Liljegren 

Then next year draft for a # 1 centre. (Jake Wise) 

There is a higher chance we finish near the bottom of the standings next season. Based on this projection, this strategy might be worth considering. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, monkey2 said:

I think we would get good value in the draft if we take the top dman with our first round pick. Then with our second rounder take a centre like:

Joshua Norris

Aleksi Heponiemi

Robert Thomas

I know the top centres have very high ceilings but so does the top dman. I think these centres could become efficient 2nd line playmakers with proper development. Is that a good idea our should be take top centre with our first rounder?

I would take the best player available and if that happens to be a centerman in the first round who might have a chance at becoming a 1st line player then we should go that route.  We have Bo, Gaudette, Sutter, etc already that could fill in the 2nd line, 3rd line center role.  We desperately need a 1st line center moving forward to help the rebuild.  I have a feeling Petterson could turn out to be a really good one in about 3 years.  He reminds me of Zetterburg.  

Edited by Kungfudru
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kenhodgejr said:

Since next year has some generational talent and Horvat is set as our top 1 or 2 centre.  There is some logic at this years draft to picking a D with our first pick (at 5-8). 

Cale Makar or Timothy Liljegren 

Then next year draft for a # 1 centre. (Jake Wise) 

There is a higher chance we finish near the bottom of the standings next season. Based on this projection, this strategy might be worth considering. 

Excellent plan.  We could take Middlestadt this year, and Wise next year.  Two elite skilled guys up front.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I would take the best player available and if that happens to be a centerman in the first round who might have a chance at becoming a 1st line player then we should go that route.  We have Bo, Gaudette, Sutter, etc already that could fill in the 2nd line, 3rd line center role.  We desperately need a 1st line center moving forward to help the rebuild.  I have a feeling Petterson could turn out to be a really good one in about 3 years.  He reminds me of Zetterburg.  

I really like Pettersson too. That is why i am so torn, because i really like Liljegren too. I think his down year is an anomaly due to illness and a slight depression which followed being sick and bouncing around.

10 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I still think we take the center. We have found ways to pull great dmen out from other areas than the tip of the draft. We haven't been able to pull out high end forwards as well as of late. Boeser projects well but still not a guarantee. Time to take a high end forward. There is always gems for dmen hanging in the middle of the first round when we are making our way back up from the bottom in a couple of years.

For me its high end forwards this year and next with our firsts. Go defense in the 2nd rounds or ncaa free agents.

I find ncaa undrafted forwards get over hyped and dont translate as well to nhl as the defensemen do coming out of university.

Those are really good points too. I like the dman Benning has snagged late like Tryamkin, Brisebois, and Neill.

I think Liljegren would be a great partner for Juolevi though. I think they would be unreal together. That's why I'm so torn between a centre or Liljegren...

Edited by monkey2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Excellent plan.  We could take Middlestadt this year, and Wise next year.  Two elite skilled guys up front.

Alf, How do you post 10000 times a year? You've been on the site two years and have posted almost 21000 times, thats like 30 a day. What job do you have?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Derp... said:

I really like CM's game, when I watch his highlight packs, or any actual game footage which is really tough to find lol. There is one issue though that worries me. He absolutely lives on the powerplay in the USHL. His primary points per 60 at 5v5 is 137th best in the USHL. He only has 8 points at 5v5 this year through 20 games. 

As I said skill is through the roof, but 5v5 contributions do matter a lot. This is the same reason people are so wary of Rasmussen.

I think the under 18 will help us get a better read on Mittelstadt