The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wild F Jordan Schroeder

5 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

?

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

?

The reason he dropped so low in the draft was because he interviewed very, very poorly. A lot of teams were put off by his attitude. I remember the following fall, after he was cut from Vancouver, he performed poorly in the WHL. Part of it was injuries, and he had surgery not long after, but I remember Shink saying in an interview that he was bummed about being cut from the Canucks, and that was part of his struggle. Though he's seemed to have matured a lot though since then, so his attitude may have changed. 

6 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Actually, I think Shinkaruk's days are numbered in Calgary, with Tkatchuk falling in their lap. Shink is a Top 6 or bust player. He can score, but there are a lot of flaws in his game, plus his attitude was a bit of an issue. That might've changed though. Really Shinkaruk being a full time NHLer is 50/50 at this point. If he can't crack Calgary's Top 6, he wont be effective, much like Mason Raymond. However that said, I'm not thrilled with Granlund, but time will tell. This season will really tell who won that trade. 

Whr did u hear his attitude was a problem? From what i know he had a great attitude.

11 hours ago, timberz21 said:

In 3 years, we will read an identical report, but instead the name of Jordan Schroeder it will be Hunter Shinkaruk.

Similar story for these two, gifted offensive players but undersized, which made them fall at the draft and scooped up by Gillis in disbelief they both fell to him. 

Hopefully the days of us picking these small, speedy guys with a chip is behind us. Stick with the more sure things. 

5 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

No! I refuse to believe that:(, all of our prospects will make it B)

Boeser, Stetcher, demko, joulevi, stukel, Lockwood, even virtanen all have at least one or more amazing distinguishable assets and they can play a pro-style game. There's so much potential in our prospect pool for the first time in a longtime. 

The future is bright, strap in & enjoy the ride!

Ps. Apologies if I missed anyone

6 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Boeser, Stetcher, demko, joulevi, stukel, Lockwood, even virtanen all have at least one or more amazing distinguishable assets and they can play a pro-style game. There's so much potential in our prospect pool for the first time in a longtime. 

The future is bright, strap in & enjoy the ride!

Ps. Apologies if I missed anyone

Would even toss Tryamkin and Hutton in that list, and all of a sudden things aren't looking too bad :)

8 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

Hopefully the days of us picking these small, speedy guys with a chip is behind us. Stick with the more sure things. 

The thing with Schroeder is that he wasn't even that speedy either. For a smallish player to make it in the NHL you have to at least have ONE intangible that makes you special.
Let's see what Schroeder had:

Blazing speed? Nope.

Good vision/hockey sense? Not really.
Insatiable hunger and grit? Not even close.
He was just a small guy that played a small game who I can't see ever making any impact in a fulltime NHL role.

57 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The thing with Schroeder is that he wasn't even that speedy either. For a smallish player to make it in the NHL you have to at least have ONE intangible that makes you special.
Let's see what Schroeder had:

Blazing speed? Nope.

Good vision/hockey sense? Not really.
Insatiable hunger and grit? Not even close.
He was just a small guy that played a small game who I can't see ever making any impact in a fulltime NHL role.

I would argue that he has very good hockey sense and vision, and I think his compete level is more than adequate if not "insatiable".

Id also argue that you need more than one special quality....for example MayRay had blazing speed.

That would all still lead me to the same conclusion though that the little guy just hasn't been fast enough or strong enough to overcome his sizeable deficiencies.

On 7/19/2016 at 0:07 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Another undersized player that we thought had so much promise but just couldn't translate that into success at the NHL level.

Another undersized player that we were "LUCKY" dropped to us in the draft

On 19. heinäkuuta 2016 at 10:25 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Filing for arbitration's not a great way to win points with your hometown team that's given you a second chance at an NHL career. Of course it makes sense to pursue the best possible deal, but is any other team really going to give him a shot at playing NHL games anymore? I can't imagine the Minnesota management group is too pleased with having to spend time going to arbitration over an NHL/AHL tweener.

It may be a plot to get someone to sign him in year, knowing he can't file for arbitration anymore. :lol:

how far Jordan Schroeder has fallen. Thought this kid was going to make it, and he's still relatively young at 25, though, I suspect what you see is what you get these days with Jordan. Best wishes to him. 

On 7/19/2016 at 2:40 PM, DeNiro said:

Baertschi has better speed and showed a willingness to go to the net in the second half.

I've never seen Schoeder as a player that will battle to get to the net.

Agreed. I'm just not sure Schroeder was given enough direction and a chance to prove it with us. Obviously Minnesota doesn't think he can change his game either. And I completely agree that Baertschi started to create more net presence.

Michael RussoVerified account‏@Russostrib

If Schroeder clears, he's still a RFA w July 27 arb date. #mnwild clearly unhappy he filed for arb, strengthening case he deserves a 2 way

Looks like the Wild are playing hardball with Schroeder...His agent might have given him some poor advice this time around...I was fan of his skill set as a Canuck,and injuries really conspired against him...I think it was his perimeter play that cost him his opportunity to stick with the Canucks (Benning just flat out released him).

Archived