The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's on tonight's menu?

Rate this topic

riffraff

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Caboose said:

My Asian pasta salad inspired by @debluvscanucks. I forgot to grab the sesame seeds at the store and I substituted crushed chilis for the chili oil she recommended but overall I think it turned out quite nicely. Thanks Deb!

image.png

Wow, that looks delicious @Caboose ! 

...could you share the recipe with me? I asked a member yesterday who posted about it but they didn’t get back to me unfortunately. Would LUV to try it out myself !! :)

• Wat 1
On 6/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, Monty said:

Alright, so not cooking, but bought the most expensive coffee in the world a few days ago, Kopi Luwak. It’s the coffee that is partially digested cherries, that are fermented in the digestive system of an Asian Civet, defecated out, and then harvested afterwards.

I bough a very small amount, that is still expensive ($39.99 for 125grams). But holy sh*t, this is the best coffee I’ve ever had.

I’ll buy it once a year going forward, likely 225grams for $59.99 every Christmas. It’s such a treat.

DFF5BDCA-AA9A-4AD3-A633-4BC5EE8504AE.thumb.jpeg.21c6a3c75c28f12678366245ef8cf695.jpeg

I wonder what the tolerance line is for what coffee beans are pooped out of? 

On 6/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, Monty said:

Alright, so not cooking, but bought the most expensive coffee in the world a few days ago, Kopi Luwak. It’s the coffee that is partially digested cherries, that are fermented in the digestive system of an Asian Civet, defecated out, and then harvested afterwards.

I bough a very small amount, that is still expensive ($39.99 for 125grams). But holy sh*t, this is the best coffee I’ve ever had.

I see what you did there.

That's some kinky poop consumption. 

• Cheers 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This week's GD meals.  I had a Beyond Meat mushroom/cheese burger and caesar salad.   Made my son & his wife some curried potatoes and chicken (they had a rough week).

Tonight I'm baking some fresh salmon with garlic and lemon.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This week's GD meals.  I had a Beyond Meat mushroom/cheese burger and caesar salad.   Made my son & his wife some curried potatoes and chicken (they had a rough week).

Tonight I'm baking some fresh salmon with garlic and lemon.

image.png

Yes please, it all looks great yet I have fallen in love with this dish and would happily devour it thank you. -_-

• Like 1

@canuck2288  

Like I mentioned yesterday, I don't follow recipes. I don't follow them ever. When in doubt, only reserve quantities including salt or sugar, the rest you can still enjoy your meal and adjust to taste for following meals. If you have a specific question feel free to ask.

pork shoulder, sliced into slightly smaller than steak fry cut against the grain of the muscle you want shoulder cause of the high fat content

assloads of garlic, whatever you think that is, probably double it

cracked black pepper -lots lots lots - my dish is loosely based on a dish I ate in Thailand called "black pepper garlic pork" which had more hot chilies than meat, but also lots of pepper

thinly sliced shallots 

lots of hot chilies to taste, I like Thai birds eye and habanero, but usually I just use birds eye

palm sugar, coconut sugar, or pressed raw sugar to taste, this balances the heat and acid in a perfect way

fish sauce (mandatory, skipping this is non-negotiable)

the smallest amount of soy sauce

fresh lime juice

chiffonade of Thai basil, like a salad looking amount 

steamed jasmine or sticky rice 

1 slap your rice on the stove to get steaming

2 pre-heat your pan while slicing your pork shoulder, place in a bowl and wash your cutting board

3 smash and mince a head of garlic, slice your shallots, slice your hot peppers (I like a mix of sliced and whole with cuts in them to moderate heat, but you do you heat-wise)

4 canola oil in the pan, it's hot, pork in the pan and do not overcrowd - over crowding steams meat - do it in 2 batches if you have to 

5 toss and brown, toss and brown, developing that nice caramelized exterior while rendering the fat out. Don't be afraid to let it sizzle for a few minutes on each side as maillard happens

6 once browned all over and 80 - 90% cooked, toss in garlic, shallots, black pepper, and the spicy buds - toss toss toss still on med-high heat to get that all going

7 once the shallots and garlic are nicely sweated - do not brown them - either turn the heat down and toss toss toss or take the pan off the heat and toss toss toss, add the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce

8 toss a couple times, it should not be soupy or even medium soupy looking, just nicely glazed

9 kill the heat and toss the salad of Thai basil so it wilts into the meat 

Rice is done and rested, pork is happy time, plate up with fresh lime wedges and fish sauce to taste on the side. This isn't going to be a juicy dish, but if it does look a teenie bit dry go ahead and add a few tbsp of water and toss in with the thai basil. 

There you have it.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Green Building said:

@canuck2288  

Like I mentioned yesterday, I don't follow recipes. I don't follow them ever. When in doubt, only reserve quantities including salt or sugar, the rest you can still enjoy your meal and adjust to taste for following meals. If you have a specific question feel free to ask.

pork shoulder, sliced into slightly smaller than steak fry cut against the grain of the muscle you want shoulder cause of the high fat content

cracked black pepper -lots lots lots - my dish is loosely based on a dish I ate in Thailand called "black pepper garlic pork" which had more hot chilies than meat, but also lots of pepper

thinly sliced shallots 

lots of hot chilies to taste, I like Thai birds eye and habanero, but usually I just use birds eye

palm sugar, coconut sugar, or pressed raw sugar to taste, this balances the heat and acid in a perfect way

fresh lime juice

2 pre-heat your pan while slicing your pork shoulder, place in a bowl and wash your cutting board

3 smash and mince a head of garlic, slice your shallots, slice your hot peppers (I like a mix of sliced and whole with cuts in them to moderate heat, but you do you heat-wise)

4 canola oil in the pan, it's hot, pork in the pan and do not overcrowd - over crowding steams meat - do it in 2 batches if you have to 

5 toss and brown, toss and brown, developing that nice caramelized exterior while rendering the fat out. Don't be afraid to let it sizzle for a few minutes on each side as maillard happens

6 once browned all over and 80 - 90% cooked, toss in garlic, shallots, black pepper, and the spicy buds - toss toss toss still on med-high heat to get that all going

7 once the shallots and garlic are nicely sweated - do not brown them - either turn the heat down and toss toss toss or take the pan off the heat and toss toss toss, add the lime juice, sugar, and fish sauce

8 toss a couple times, it should not be soupy or even medium soupy looking, just nicely glazed

Rice is done and rested, pork is happy time, plate up with fresh lime wedges and fish sauce to taste on the side. This isn't going to be a juicy dish, but if it does look a teenie bit dry go ahead and add a few tbsp of water and toss in with the thai basil. 

There you have it.

Thanks man

we will be sure to try it 

love killer hot food 

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

@canuck2288  

thinly sliced shallots 

fresh lime juice

There you have it.

I'm always excited of the food you mention! 

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Crispy roasted pork belly tonight.

My eight year old was LOVING the crackling, and basically tried to eat all of it.

That’s until he asked me what it’s made of.

Now he’s very upset. :lol:

(He’s a total carnivore, but I guess crunchy pig skin was where he draws the line.)

LOL what does your boy think of bacon haha

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...