The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Wow, you guys are just hyping each other up so much in this thread...  

Zack looked great yesterday but had a lot of games earlier in the year where he did not look great at all.  Pittsburgh road game being probably the worst of the bunch if anyone remembers, or are we all suffering from collective selective memory loss (I should name bands)?  

I loved seeing Horvat, JT and Zack on the ice together.  I don't know if it's realistic for a line long term, but I'd love to see it again. 

It's not that Zack encourages so much enthusiasm, but rather Loui embodies intense feelings of boredom and frustration. Watching Loui lumber up the ice at a live game is the hockey equivalent to paint drying.

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The question is what WOULD have Beagle accomplished lined up with Motte, Schaller and or MacEwan?

Are you suggesting that Loui is dragging Beagle down offensively?

I like a lot of things about Jay Beagle, but his offense is worst on the team

Well, maybe better than Marky or Demmer

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Elite face off % with 77.3% dzone starts and PK'ing. Basically all the hard minutes at an elite defensive level to allow Horvat not to play all of them himself, and furnish the rest of our young offensive players with easier minutes and more offensive starts.

but, except for the face off duty, that is what Loui did also

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

but, except for the face off duty, that is what Loui did also

That faceoff/centre duty is no small thing. That's why C's have so much more value than W's.

He also plays with a hell of a lot more edge than Eriksson.

51 minutes ago, lmm said:

Are you suggesting that Loui is dragging Beagle down offensively?

I like a lot of things about Jay Beagle, but his offense is worst on the team

Well, maybe better than Marky or Demmer

Louie IS the worst..  and to say he is great Defensively is a cop out..

Loui IS privileged.   There are others who should have been getting the opportunity to start their careers over Eriksson trying to resurrect one from 5 years ago.

OPPORTUNTIES have been LOST to PRIVILEGE.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That faceoff/centre duty is no small thing. That's why C's have so much more value than W's.

He also plays with a hell of a lot more edge than Eriksson.

The nuances of hockey hidden to many are often not found in black characters displayed on white background.

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The nuances of hockey hidden to many are often not found in black characters displayed on white background.

Wait until they figure out how adding Myers is a big reason Hughes is having such a positive rookie year despite hardly playing with each other :lol:

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Could Dowd be doing what Beagle is doing for 1/3 of the cost?

We essentially traded Dowd for Beagle. Washington hasn't missed a step.

I don't know, but I remember how mad people were when we traded for him for the coveted Jordan Subban.

28 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Could Dowd be doing what Beagle is doing for 1/3 of the cost?

We essentially traded Dowd for Beagle. Washington hasn't missed a step.

Yeah most analysts typically list Dowd as the reason for Washington’s consistency.  I kid because I agree with your point.

21 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The question is what WOULD have Beagle accomplished lined up with Motte, Schaller and or MacEwan?

One goal and four assists in 47 games for Beagle without MacEwen... so he would have accomplished... not much. Seeing as MacEwen scored apart from Beagle in the previous game, I’d guess Beagle is just holding MacEwen back.:bigblush:

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Really like the speed, size and toughness MacEwen is bringing to the lineup. Schaller just lacks that these days.

If Schaller cant be traded Id consider waiving him for depth in the playoffs

He seems to have good instincts too.  Tends to go to the right places on the ice.  

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Really like the speed, size and toughness MacEwen is bringing to the lineup. Schaller just lacks that these days.

If Schaller cant be traded Id consider waiving him for depth in the playoffs

Schaller or Leivo. Id be keen on keeping Motte. He may not show up on the stat sheet but at least he does something every shift and his effort is never in question.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Playing a bit more consistent. I feel the Canucks see him as a future regular. 

I sure hope so, because some of the radio guys have said that there is interest for McEwens services and would be snatched up if he were to hit the waiver wire. I think theres upside there and an untapped mean streak

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Schaller or Leivo. Id be keen on keeping Motte. He may not show up on the stat sheet but at least he does something every shift and his effort is never in question.

He is a lock on this team since he is a defensive guy with bite. Not a guy I see fighting but he plays bigger than he is(5'10") and he can PK too. He's almost like Dorsett minus the fighting. Keep in mind Motte is a month younger than Bo too.

2 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I sure hope so, because some of the radio guys have said that there is interest for McEwens services and would be snatched up if he were to hit the waiver wire. I think theres upside there and an untapped mean streak

IDK if he's gonna have a mean streak but he definitely plays the body and isn't afraid of throwing down. He's young, only turning 24 in July. If he can develop a checking side to his game so he can be used on the PK he would be an invaluable part to this teams bottom 6.

Zack can hold his own with most middle weight fighters in the NHL and some heavy weights. 

I would be ok if we added one more veteran depth fighter similar to what Toronto did by acquiring Kyle Clifford. Except without giving up any draft picks of course!

He seems a lot more confident in his game.

In his first call up, he didn't seem as physical and seemed to play his game more based on fear of making a mistake, and played pretty conservatively.  Now even though he makes a few mistakes, you're starting to see him play with far more authority and bite to his game.

I can only imagine what his game is like when his leash is longer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2