The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You, Thank You, Merci, Vancouver (Alex Burrows, The Players Tribune)

Bigturk8

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The statement about Burrows wanting to make sure that the trade benefited Vancouver into the future is really something else. It speaks to the man's dedication and selflessness.

Honestly, no one else should wear 14 on this team, ever. Just saying.

upvote..

I hope he comes back in some higher role one day

9 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Oh man, if I didn't have to leave for work in 15 minutes, I'd definitely read this. I've never been so hyped to read an article. Looking forward to this after work.

Finally finished reading this.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen as much an epitomization in word form as to what it means to be a Canuck. I'm not sure if I've ever been this emotional while reading a hockey article in my life. I would have been tearing up at some parts and squealing with happiness at other parts had I not been in a home with others who would look at me in a judging manner (and this comes from a very logical, non-emotional guy). 

I would be overjoyed if that Burrows quote had a permanent place somewhere around the Canucks locker room for all to see every day. 

"Wear that sweater with pride. And don’t let anybody take it away from you.

It means you’re a Canuck."

- Alex Burrows

:wub:

nice article

he was a true canuck while he was here

the thing with alex is though he had decent skills and clearly became a pro player

what defined him was that he had elite self-drive and commitment to the team

most of us, like him, do not have the elite skills that the truly blessed have, those cannot be taught

but man, we sure can learn how to persevere and grind from burrows

and he sure had some hockey smarts that were under rated by many

he will forever remain as an icon of this team

4 hours ago, JV77 said:

Those were the fun days!

Don't think I'll ever feel that way for this team ever again.

ah don't worry you will

fans live in the moment.. the recent moment is the burrows loss

and then a shorter while ago the elite canuck team that went to the finals

the moments are pretty intense and feel like they cannot be repeated

but they can, it's kinda similar to falling in love again, it happens

many felt similar about many of the players on the 94 team

high skilled and very committed players as well

that really is the only way a team can gel to make a finals run

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

many felt similar about many of the players on the 94 team

high skilled and very committed players as well

that really is the only way a team can gel to make a finals run

The thing is though....we had to go thru "The Reign of Terror" known as Mike Keenan....

Read this at work and was literally tearing up. The things we don't even know about - like the kids play area and how trades affect the families of the players. 

He will forever be a Canuck. You can tell that he left in order to help the team. It was his final act as a Canuck. Class

His passion for the team is what separates Burrows from Kesler to me. It was evident in the way he played and the comments he made about his fond memories and having to leave Vancouver that he genuinely loved it here.

Contrast that to Kesler's comments when he got traded, it tells you everything you need to know about who really cares about the Canucks.

2 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Finally finished reading this.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen as much an epitomization in word form as to what it means to be a Canuck. I'm not sure if I've ever been this emotional while reading a hockey article in my life. I would have been tearing up at some parts and squealing with happiness at other parts had I not been in a home with others who would look at me in a judging manner (and this comes from a very logical, non-emotional guy). 

I would be overjoyed if that Burrows quote had a permanent place somewhere around the Canucks locker room for all to see every day. 

"Wear that sweater with pride. And don’t let anybody take it away from you.

It means you’re a Canuck."

- Alex Burrows

:wub:

This....

If ever there was an inspirational quote

This was taken from our friends over at cal puck. 

Exp: pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

I'm not going to defend Burrow's actions in anyway on the ice he's as low as it gets for me. But.... 

My daughter does gymnastics in the afternoon and during her time the club has a lot of physically and mentally challenged kids in. I chatted with two women that have worked at one of the houses for quite a number of years and they both said Burrows was by far the best Vancouver athlete they have ever had associated with their house. He stopped by so many times and did so many things for those kids it was above and beyond. He even stopped to see one older boy in particular that he had been seeing for years to tell him in person that he had been traded but assured him he would be back in the summer to play hockey with him. 

Just a tidbit about the person.

8 hours ago, BabychStache said:

LOL @ Burrs description of this fight. He didn't lie at all. He got his $$ kicked. 

But he stood up for himself knowing he would get his a$$ kicked. That's the true measure of a man. He didn't turn tail and run. He dropped 'em anyway. As if to say, "I may go down, but I'm not going down without a fight."

5 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

But he stood up for himself knowing he would get his a$$ kicked. That's the true measure of a man. He didn't turn tail and run. He dropped 'em anyway. As if to say, "I may go down, but I'm not going down without a fight."

Exactly what Ohlund did when he stepped into the ring with Iggy a couple of times. Ultimate team players Burr and Ollie.

11 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

His passion for the team is what separates Burrows from Kesler to me. It was evident in the way he played and the comments he made about his fond memories and having to leave Vancouver that he genuinely loved it here.

Contrast that to Kesler's comments when he got traded, it tells you everything you need to know about who really cares about the Canucks.

If it comes down to picking between Kesler and Burrows then I go with Burrows hands down. That said I am not that willing to write off the Kesler era and his contributions so easily. Players get motivated in different ways. The fact that Kesler wanted to move on because he could not see a CUP future does not bother me either. He put in his time trying to win for Van and he was a critical part of the 2011 team. The fact that Van GM's could not get the pieces to form a legit 2nd line probably had as much to do with his wanting to leave as anything else. Some fans blame Kesler for not being able to raise the play of his line mates but I look at what he has done in Anaheim and question that conclusion.

Neither Ryan Kesler or Alex Burrows were Sedin clones. The Twins have been held up as the epitome of elite hockey play in Vancouver. These two showed that championship teams need more diversity than that.

12 hours ago, gmen81 said:

This was taken from our friends over at cal puck. 

But  the rest of the tools at calgary schmuck think Burrows is the worst human on earth.  Even the above story wasnt enough to make a dent in the collective mouth frothing. They are so morally outraged that he "bit" and "pulled hair" but they have no problem with their golden rookie Chucky boy who, just a few months into his NHL career, has already headbutted one player and slew footed multiple people- one being Davidson from the oilers who was put out of action for months by the cheap act.  Has Burrows seriously injured anyone?  Im not surprised that other fan bases dont like Burrows, but those tools take the hate to another level - at least one guy (from gmen81's screen shot) tried to show he is a human that does wonderful things.

Back to Burrows, I hope to see him back here one day in some kind of off ice capacity.  He can be held up as an example to all the high draft picks, the ones that have been stars all of their lives in the game of hockey, that hard work and determination can definitely pay off.

22 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

But  the rest of the tools at calgary schmuck think Burrows is the worst human on earth.  Even the above story wasnt enough to make a dent in the collective mouth frothing. They are so morally outraged that he "bit" and "pulled hair" but they have no problem with their golden rookie Chucky boy who, just a few months into his NHL career, has already headbutted one player and slew footed multiple people- one being Davidson from the oilers who was put out of action for months by the cheap act.  Has Burrows seriously injured anyone?  Im not surprised that other fan bases dont like Burrows, but those tools take the hate to another level - at least one guy (from gmen81's screen shot) tried to show he is a human that does wonderful things.

Back to Burrows, I hope to see him back here one day in some kind of off ice capacity.  He can be held up as an example to all the high draft picks, the ones that have been stars all of their lives in the game of hockey, that hard work and determination can definitely pay off.

Just wait until O'Sullivan chimes in on it....

Archived