The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sutter for Coach? (THN)

Blazer8717

This is part of an article from The Hockey News. Usually I like reading their stuff but this just makes me shake my head. Willie definetly shares some of the blame for the Canucks season, he made bad calls on the line-up (Chaput with the Sedins anyone?) and Sutter would crush this team. I can't see him being much better than Tortorella. 

Willie Desjardins

It’s hard not to feel bad for Desjardins. It’s not that he was a bad coach in Vancouver, but the talent simply isn’t there for the Canucks to be a consistent contender. Rather, Vancouver had to try to win with the aging Daniel and Henrik Sedin leading the attack while some of their young players, including Bo Horvat and Troy Stecher, work towards being the next generation. Desjardins was fighting a losing battle, though, and one could surmise that there are about to be some lean years in Vancouver as the team attempts a speedy rebuild before the Sedins ride off into the sunset.

This isn’t to say Desjardins didn’t fight valiantly, though. After a downright awful start to the 2016-17 season, the Canucks actually managed to fight back into playoff contention for a brief moment before falling out once again. It wasn’t all that shocking to see him let go by Vancouver as the season ended. Desjardins had posted consecutive losing seasons and point totals that left much to be desired after he started his three-year tenure with a 101-point campaign.

Some considered Desjardins an option in Dallas, where he had previously been an assistant for the Stars before taking on the top job with their AHL affiliate, and a return to the Stars still can’t be ruled out. Obviously, with Hitchcock in place, Desjardins would have to come on as an assistant, but that would be a great opportunity to learn under one of the greatest coaches in league history.

Darryl Sutter

It was time. Sutter had done a lot during his time in Los Angeles, and the organization will never forget his contributions, which include coaching the Kings to the first two Stanley Cups in franchise history. But after the Cup victory in 2014, everything seemed to fall apart for the Kings. 

Many considered their playoff miss in 2014-15 to be a matter of bad luck. Los Angeles had played well but simply couldn’t score. What came the next year was another great season, but the Sutter’s group flopped in the playoffs, losing in five to the eventual Western Conference champion San Jose Sharks. And with a chance to rebound this year, the Kings again fell flat, this time worse than ever under Sutter. The offense was abysmal and the smothering defensive style simply didn’t work.

That said, just because it didn’t work for the Kings anymore doesn’t mean it can’t work elsewhere, but it might be a system that’s best suited for a team that doesn’t have the offense to make the high-flying game work. Take, say, the Canucks, give them Sutter’s system and maybe there doesn’t have to be any lean years at all. They won’t be exciting, sure, but a commitment to defensive hockey and the possession game could be one way to keep Vancouver in the hunt while attempting to build a winner before the Sedins say goodbye.

Bollocks!  That's nuts.  I know JB needs to get the ball rolling since sacking Willie, but if Sutter has this in the bag I'm worried the youth will be left hanging.  

He is known for being quite... testy with young players after all.  

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Bollocks!  That's nuts.  I know JB needs to get the ball rolling since sacking Willie, but if Sutter has this in the bag I'm worried the youth will be left hanging.  

He is known for being quite... testy with young players after all.  

The fact that JB hasn't done any ball rolling yet is the one fact that makes me think Green is the #1 choice.  Sutter really does reek of Tortorella2.0

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The fact that JB hasn't done any ball rolling yet is the one fact that makes me think Green is the #1 choice.  Sutter really does reek of Tortorella2.0

I hope so.  Having a pair of Sutter family jewels would be nice but one look from that leathery mug will reduce our dangles to hands of stones.

I don't care how much testicular fortitude he fires into the team.

Depends how this lottery shakes down. If we get Hischeir, no. If we get Patrick he'd probably be a good fit. Getting the first pick in the lottery will probably shape the future identity of this team. Do we take the skilled euro or the big western boy who can score and appears to able to fight. If we're destined to be a heavy 2 way physical west coast team, might as well get a guy proven to succeed with that strategy. 

30 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

GoodLordee! That whole clan might head out to Cloverdale(w/wagons & livestock), like Okies heading to California in a Steinbeck novel

We already have a gentle giant in Tryamkin who can't help hurting people because of his size.

"give them Sutter’s system and maybe there doesn’t have to be any lean years at all. They won’t be exciting, sure, but a commitment to defensive hockey and the possession game could be one way to keep Vancouver in the hunt while attempting to build a winner before the Sedins say goodbye."

Not sure if whomever wrote this is just out of touch, or a combination of lazy and simple (trolling is another option) - but regardless, they obviously haven't been listening to a word Linden's been saying.

Archived