The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Happy with the pick of Pettersson. Smart, tons of skill, puck skills are awesome, high IQ, good playmaker and Benning said it best that he makes everyone better. This could turn out to be the steal of the draft. Size and weight is the only factor that's letting him down and other than that, he would be a guaranteed top 5 pick. He still has time to mature and put more weight. I envision him to be a Backstrom like player. Knows where everybody is on the ice, good vision, a nice shot. Most importantly, he has chemistry with Dahlen so this pick was a no brainer imo for Benning. Excited to see him hit the ice!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It sounds like he is going to play in Sweden this year....he would have to gain 20 lbs., at a minimum, over the summer to play in the AHL or the NHL.

He's eligible for Utica. Probably a huge reason he was put ahead of Glass by JB

37 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

His dad looked pretty solid so genetically wise he has the potential to put on size. But ya it's a pretty big gamble picking a kid with such a small frame

he doesn't have a small frame hes 6'2 hes skinny but so are a lot of players coming out of the draft. he has a very similar frame to RNH his draft year and RNH is now 195lbs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I dont have a problem with the pick.  This guy does have strong potential to be an elite player.  He obviously must gain weight but I'm nearly positive that will happen.  A strong future-looking prospect, and one who is likely to be a good if not great part of a Dahlen duo.

I didn't read the whole 19 pages to see if it was mentioned but my only beef is that we didnt move down.  It is highly unlikely that he would have gone at this pick to most teams, and imo it would have been worth a gamble to move down a few spots when there were clearly several players available who would be picked first by more teams.  For sure there would be interest from other teams.  Might have got a 2nd pick out of it.

I thought this at the time but then Vilardi fell to 11 and I was sure he was a top 5 guy. There was no consensus beyond #2 so I can't be mad at the choice. 

Everyone is talking about how small he is but he played in a man's league.  Not a super talented league but he was 6th in points per game.  And was way ahead of Dahlen, a player we are all excited about in his draft year.  We should be more pumped about this guy.  He is tall and just needs some muscle.  That is easy to add.  Elite 2 way centres are not easy to add.  The more I read about this guy the more pumped I am.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Just combing through our draft history for those complaining that JB went off the board or the "consensus pick" this year and last - Looking at Bob Mckenzie's rankings because he polls multiple scouts for a "consensus" rank

2008: #10 Cody Hodgson Ranked 9 by TSN - obviously didn't turn out despite us getting a "steal" if we followed the consensus rankings, Karlsson went 15 FYI

09: #22 Jordan Schroeder Ranked 15 by TSN - Picked the BPA according to rankings, again bust

11: #29 Jensen Ranked 24 by TSN - again picked a guy that ranked higher than our draft position - another bust, Could make a case for Saad who was ranked higher but point of post is that we've picked players that have consistently ranked higher and that hasn't yielded great results

12: #26 Guance Ranked 20 by TSN - picked player ranked above our slot again - BPA according to Mckenzie - Fringe NHL Player thus far while Pearson and Skjei are NHL regulars

13: #9 Horvat 5th BPA according to TSN - an example of us going off the board, had we gone BPA according to rankings, would have been Nichuskin. I think we did good here going off board

13: #24 Shinkaruk ranked 14 by TSN - we went BPA again and he has yet to find a regular spot in the NHL, won't call him a bust yet but the numbers speak for themselves 

14: #6 Virtanen ranked 7 by TSN - not as great a leap as some on here suggest but interesting note Ehlers ranked 10 and Nylander ranked 9 so either way. any of those picks would have been off the board for those arguing for the rankings

14: #24 McCann ranked 16 by TSN - BPA again, jury's still out but note that Pastrnak went #25 and he was ranked 22

15: #23 Boeser ranked 26 by TSN - went off board and while it's early I'd venture to say no one is mad anymore about us going off the rankings

So hindsight is 20/20 but the post of this post is to illustrate that just because a player is ranked higher doesn't mean that it is the best pick. As our history has shown, we have often went BPA and those instances have almost always failed us. I won't say Pettersson or Juolevi are going to be bonafide stars but I trust our scouts and as our history has shown going against the rankings have produced some of our biggest pieces for the future.

Great post.  We're in a better position to go off-board with Benning's background in scouting.

• Upvote 1

While I was hoping for Vilardi, I'm actually really excited on the gamble JB took with this pick.  

He has an incredible amount of skill and offensive potential.  

He could become a point scoring 1st line centre to replace Hank.  

Yeah, he is a twig, but 2-3 years of solid training should make him a super lean and strong 185.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Saltydog said:

One of his knocks is that he comes from the second tier swedish league and doesn't face top tallent. Just curious how many 17 year olds make it to the SHL. 

Very few but it has more to do with being on an Allsvenskan club that loans a player as a call up to the SHL. Almost universally those players don't do very will but if they are able to be even slightly competitive it's viewed as a big deal. Thus the hype over Nylander despite him scoring at about .25 ppg I'm the SHL.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Certainly not as sour as I was with the Virtanen pick, but Pettersson will be interesting to watch pan out. Hopefully the Sedins hang around long enough to play with him and Dahlen because they'd be perfect mentors.

IMO Petterson is a high risk high reward pick and could be the next Backstrom/Datsyuk, or could completely fold and never be strong enough to defend and contend against the bigger centers of the West (Draisaitl, Glass, Vilardi, Couture etc.). It'll be a very tough environment for him to learn in so hopefully he beefs up and comes to play in the NHL when he's at least 180 pounds. 

Glass was always a safe bet to be the next Scheiffele/Bergeron but Pettersson's ceiling is much higher, IMO one of the highest of the draft. He could end up being the best player of the top-15 but then so could Vilardi or Hirschier or Patrick. Props to Benning for the ballsy pick but lets hope it doesn't back-fire. We desperately need some size in our future top-6, even future top-9 now because right now it's just Virtanen and Horvat.

As for Pettersson himself, I hope he can go back to the top tier Swedish Elite League next season and score 0.5 PPG at least over there. Maybe give him some time in the AHL after that and break into the NHL as a 20-21 year old with Dahlen as a mentor (assuming Dahlen will be playing here by then). 

It'll be fun to watch Pettersson and Dahlen play in training camp together but oh boy do they need some muscle to play with them and clear some ice/space for them. Maybe Virtanen has his role all ready to go...

Good analysis by @DownUndaCanuck. It is a bit more optimistic than I am, though. But I agree Pettersson is a high risk - high reward player. He could be the most skilled offensive player in the draft but there is some chance he never makes the NHL. It fine to say he will "bulk up", but there is difference between a guy who is 180 and 6-2 with wide shoulders and Pettersson. In the picture of him standing beside Aquillini it looks like his Canuck jersey in on a coat hanger. "Bulking up" is not that easy. It is also not desirable if is just extra upper body muscle mass as the extra weight slows down skating speed and can get in the way of quickness. You want guys who have size and strength naturally who can then augment it a bit with strength training. But expecting Pettersson to put on 30 lbs is unlikely.

3 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Yeah dude, that's totally what I'm saying. It's not like we just drafted a high skill center or anything.

You don't necessarily need all your centers to be two-way guys. Glass would have been a nice pick for sure, but Horvat is a very similar breed of player and very young. You don't need all four guys down the middle to be the same.

I agree that Glass seems similar to Horvat  except I would say Glass is stronger offensively at this stage in his career. And I would have no problem with fours Bo Horvats playing center on all four lines for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

Would have been happy with Glass or Vilardi, but happy with this pick. 

Have to admit I was a little shocked.

Benning tried to trade down, didn't work out. I commend him for sticking with the direction he wanted.

We needed a center with skill, we got it. Seems like a quality young man also, bonus.

Glad Jim took a risk on someone with a very high ceiling, hope he comes close to it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

While I was hoping for Vilardi, I'm actually really excited on the gamble JB took with this pick.  

He has an incredible amount of skill and offensive potential.  

He could become a point scoring 1st line centre to replace Hank.  

Yeah, he is a twig, but 2-3 years of solid training should make him a super lean and strong 185.  

Or even better as quoted below ..

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Stop worrying about his weight... for comparisons sake, here's a few guys (and their height and weight at draft day) that were also Swedes, but I'd venture to say they turned out fine...

Peter Forsberg - 5'10" / 161 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 5'10" / 164 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 5'10" / 154 lbs

If you're curious, this is where they ended up:

Peter Forsberg - 6'0" / 205 lbs 

Niklas Kronwall - 6'0" / 194 lbs

Henrik Zetterberg - 6'0" / 195 lbs

Elias will be fine.  We've got a 1C... just wait a couple years...

Anyone know or understand why Vilardi went so late ??