The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

51 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Kinda reminds me of Virtanen. Just without the physical side.

I am not completely sure if this statement of similarity is supposed to apply to Pettersson or Nylander.

I don't really see it for either one, especially Pettersson. Virtanen is fast and physically strong and plays a physical game. Those are the keys to his game. He plays mainly a straight line game and he has learned to play decent defence. In terms of level, he has established himself as a legitimate NHL 4th-liner in that he could play on the 4th line on a lot of teams. And with a bit more progress, I could see him as a legitimate 3rd liner and maybe playing some shutdown even on a good team. (He has been playing shutdown on the Canucks due to injuries, but the injury-depleted Canucks are not a good NHL team,as reflected in the recent losing streak.) As has been much discussed, hockey IQ, finish around the net and playmaking are not his strengths.

Pettersson of course has a very high hockey IQ, is great around the net, and is a very good passer. He is good skater but does not have Virtanen's speed and obviously does not have Virtanen's strength or physical game. They are pretty much complete opposites as far as I can see. And, in terms of level, given standard league adjustment factors and normal development curves, Pettersson projects as a likely NHL first liner, and certainly no worse than a scoring second liner.

If the comparison is between Virtanen and Nylander, I still don't really see it. What do you have in mind?

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I am not completely sure if this statement of similarity is supposed to apply to Pettersson or Nylander.

I don't really see it for either one, especially Pettersson. Virtanen is fast and physically strong and plays a physical game. Those are the keys to his game. He plays mainly a straight line game and he has learned to play decent defence. In terms of level, he has established himself as a legitimate NHL 4th-liner in that he could play on the 4th line on a lot of teams. And with a bit more progress, I could see him as a legitimate 3rd liner and maybe playing some shutdown even on a good team. (He has been playing shutdown on the Canucks due to injuries, but the injury-depleted Canucks are not a good NHL team,as reflected in the recent losing streak.) As has been much discussed, hockey IQ, finish around the net and playmaking are not his strengths.

Pettersson of course has a very high hockey IQ, is great around the net, and is a very good passer. He is good skater but does not have Virtanen's speed and obviously does not have Virtanen's strength or physical game. They are pretty much complete opposites as far as I can see. And, in terms of level, given standard league adjustment factors and normal development curves, Pettersson projects as a likely NHL first liner, and certainly no worse than a scoring second liner.

If the comparison is between Virtanen and Nylander, I still don't really see it. What do you have in mind?

I meant Nylander. 

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I'd agree that EP and Virtanen have nothing in common.  I'd say that EP is similar to the Sedin's with Henrik's vision and passing and Daniel's shot.  I haven't seen much speed from EP this tournament.  His stickhandling is better than both Sedins though.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

EP looks like he will need another 15 - 20 pounds to survive in the NHL. Look at the hit Boeser took last night and ask yourself how well a 165 pounder will do? Euro hockey is no where close to the physicality found in the NHL. 

I agree, he needs more muscle in order to compete in this league 5 on5. He has the skill to step in right now but he shouldn't until he's physically ready. This tournament showed the need for Pettersson to become stronger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

EP looks like he will need another 15 - 20 pounds to survive in the NHL. Look at the hit Boeser took last night and ask yourself how well a 165 pounder will do? Euro hockey is no where close to the physicality found in the NHL. 

Keep in mind how evasive Pettersson is. He is smart. He could play at 175, obviously the bigger the better but  he's capable of being an impact player. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Keep in mind how evasive Pettersson is. He is smart. He could play at 175, obviously the bigger the better but  he's capable of being an impact player. 

Boeser is another high IQ player that has gotten run a couple times this year.