The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Mrwipeout said:

Peteys line got shut down quite well last game imo.....like mentioned is gonna be a tough sophmore year so hoping for some creativity and the points will come with time. 

They may have been shut down, but they also looked a little disorganized out there with their zone exits and entries. He is going to have to get used to the other team putting a shadow on him while we are in the offensive zone. I think he has the necessary skills to shake them off though, he has shown that before, he just needs to do it consistently. Also, I think it's partly Ferland's job to create space for him out there, so we will see have effective he will be once he gets used to the system and gets his feets under him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 5:18 PM, Canorth said:

The two on his immediate right look like they might tank our season... I mean what the hell are they holding on to

Focus, EP.... focus. You were brought to this planet for one reason. Focus.

During hockey season only Petey should be holding Petey’s stick...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I like that idea. Miller is known to be a very good passer and both Petey and Brock are very good shooters. He may well become the setup man for both of them.

As an after thought; Miller is also very good at face offs and could take them in the O zone and revert back to the wing if they maintain possession; an added benefit.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is great, but he can't seem to score. I wonder if his new stick this year is the issue. Hopefully Miller will light a fire under him and get him going. And if that dioesn't work, then we panic lol

Needs to start taking more shots, be a little more selfish. 1 shot last game.

cant say much after 3 games really. Petey puts a lot of pressure on himself more then his surroundings so of course that puts him under pressure. He will deal with it and like mentioned hes got a lot of attention since everyone now recognizes him as the major threat to lock down. no matter if this season turns mediocre or not he will still develop and once he takes that next step and figures it out he will become almost scary good. For now i simply enjoy watching those little things he does on the ice and hope his line will be creative and produce a lot of chances. 

Had a thought - is it possible that Pettersson hasn't blown anyone away yet, because the Canucks actually have other real good players as well? He's not the only focus now, as the rookie sensation. He's still incredible, but the Canucks have more weapons than just him and Boeser. Miller is a beast, and Quinn Highes is a phenom. Jake played really well last game, loved that he had some snarl and played like he cared. Gaudette is also doing well and I see him only getting better. Benn is old school and he'll be a key piece in those important games down the stretch. I also love how fluid Myers skates and his passes have been good, and his heavy shots were missing from this team last year.

While I watched the LA game, I had to wonder how Goldobin or Baertschi would do in a game like that. It was physical and a bit nasty at times. I think they did the right thing by waiving those guys. Not that I don't like them, but because they don't make the Canucks tougher to play against. 

On 10/11/2019 at 7:34 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He seems a bit tight, like maybe he's putting too much pressure on himself.  That and the extra attention he's getting ...

I agree that he seems a little bit tight, a little within himself. He has the tools to do more if he could regain that almost arrogant confidence top players always have. But yes that seems somewhat lacking now. He doesn’t shoot enough and doesn’t take on his man enough at full speed. 

And he has to get more one-timers set up on the PP!  Really don’t know why this isn’t getting done? With Brook on one side and Petey on the other our first unit we should be deadly.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Skip Spence said:

I agree that he seems a little bit tight, a little within himself. He has the tools to do more if he could regain that almost arrogant confidence top players always have. But yes that seems somewhat lacking now. He doesn’t shoot enough and doesn’t take on his man enough at full speed. 

And he has to get more one-timers set up on the PP!  Really don’t know why this isn’t getting done? With Brook on one side and Petey on the other our first unit we should be deadly.

Yeah. The PP that the Canucks did have in OT, Pettersson didn't shoot. Either he didn't have a shooting lane, or he deferred to either Hughes shooting, or Boeser. Boeser, for whatever reason, doesn't seem like himself. I don't know what it is. Glad that we got the win, but our top guys (EP, Brock, even Bo) aren't really going offensively. EP had so many multiple point games last season, and this year, it's been tougher I guess for him. Perhaps the league and all the opposing teams are game planning him specifically, which, yeah, makes it harder for him to score. I hope he gets going. The Canucks really need him to get going offensively. 

Edited by N4ZZY

On 10/9/2019 at 7:47 AM, J-23 said:

Needs to start taking more shots, be a little more selfish. 1 shot last game.

Pettersson didn't shoot more to start last season - he was just converting at a higher pace.  He had a 26% shooting percentage through December.  From January onwards it dropped to a more reasonable 13% - which is still above median.  Boeser was at 12.4%.

up to end of December - 36 games played.  73 shots and a shooting percentage of 26%

January onwards - 35 games played.  71 shots and a shooting percentage of 12.7%

4 hours ago, mll said:

Pettersson didn't shoot more to start last season - he was just converting at a higher pace.  He had a 26% shooting percentage through December.  From January onwards it dropped to a more reasonable 13% - which is still above median.  Boeser was at 12.4%.

up to end of December - 36 games played.  73 shots and a shooting percentage of 26%

January onwards - 35 games played.  71 shots and a shooting percentage of 12.7%

It's not always about the stats, eye test shows he's hesitating on good chances.

He'll come around of course, it's Petey.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1