The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

10 hours ago, SamJamIam said:

I hate to break it to you but I don't think you're going to be able to land that goalie scout job any time soon...

It would be useful if you were to tell him what you saw that makes you disagree with him rather than just throw an insult and not add anything to why DiPietro did or didn't look good.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:07 PM, cuporbust said:

And he probably still will be a great prospect for us , but the last two games i saw were not impressive.  Seeing golatenders peak in their mid 20's im not overall worried.  Just going to give credit when credit is due . So far , ive been left hoping for more 

...Dipietro only played in the first game...the Rusky played the second game and was a bit shaky at times....

14 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...Dipietro only played in the first game...the Rusky played the second game and was a bit shaky at times....

Admittedly I didn't have the opportunity to watch the 2nd game where Kulbakov started, but according to this he was good - is that not accurate?  As I said, I didn't see it so...

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/dahlen-kulbakov-shine-for-canucks-in-win-over-jets~1484203

4 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

Fwiw, Kevin Woodley, who is also a technical goalie analyst loved the changes that DiPietro made in his game.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/woodley-positive-energy-around-kids-but-majority-will-be-in-ahl-1.1171224

For what it is worth, the MD I saw in the first game was a much better player than I saw last few years in junior hockey.   His positional play has improved and he was playing his angles much better.   He is a reaction goalie and on the small side so you don't want him to become a Rinne/Crawford type but he was waaaaay over pursuing pucks at times instead of letting the game come to him.   He looked far more in control of his movements and though he was too far back in his crease a few times, that is something he can work on over the next few years.

I was not that high on him as this thread will show but I am moving slightly if whatever coaching he received from May until August is any indication of where he is taking his game.   Ian will work wonders with him too.

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:
8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Admittedly I didn't have the opportunity to watch the 2nd game where Kulbakov started, but according to this he was good - is that not accurate?  As I said, I didn't see it so...

Kulbakov was good at some critical times, but he had some lapses to let the Jets into the game.  Got his game together pretty well late to hold on for the win.  If, on the other hand, you are talking about DiPietro, he was pretty solid in the first game.  I think one of the two goals he'd like to have back, but a pretty good outing in a game that was well in hand all the way.

Edited by RogersTowell
  • Cheers 1

Played solid in his brief stint in the preseason, hes just so damn fast and exciting to watch but man he still needs to slow it down and relax. He should have a stronger challenge in net in the OHL as windsor looks a bit weaker again. 

31 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I have a feeling DP will edge past Demko in a couple of years. I'm a bit worried Demko might have stalled. Thought he might challenge for back up as I'm not sold on Nilsson.

Demko was arguably the best goalie in the ahl lol, I wouldn't say he's stalled whatsoever. This is the preseason, it's literally the toughest for goalies to get into it. Give it some time. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, cyoung said:

Demko was arguably the best goalie in the ahl lol, I wouldn't say he's stalled whatsoever. This is the preseason, it's literally the toughest for goalies to get into it. Give it some time. 

Especially for their first game in about 4 months, DiPietro has a LONG way to go to get to the level that Demko is currently at

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I have a feeling DP will edge past Demko in a couple of years. I'm a bit worried Demko might have stalled. Thought he might challenge for back up as I'm not sold on Nilsson.

I don't believe Demko has stalled.  He is continuing to develop but the problem is for Vancouver fans that don't see him play every game the AHL stats make him appear to be NHL ready which I don't believe is the case.  He is close but not there yet.  He has technical issues that are fixable but take time to fix.  He was much better last season than he was the season before and I expect that progress to continue.  The correct development plan IMHO is the #1 starter in Utica with a handful of NHL games on occasional call ups this season.  He will be a better goalie one year from now when Nilsson's contract is done.  It's been said many times because it is true goalies take longer to develop. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I don't want Demko sitting on the bench in Vancouver. I'd rather he be Utica's starter this season and gain one more year of development.

• Cheers 1