The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well like I said, I understand why the deal was made, just wondering if there could've been more value at the deadline. Hopefully Del Zotto makes the most of it and earns himself another contract to stay in the league.

The extra value of the contract is nobody had to be waived, that likely makes up for any extra Benning might have made at the TDL, plus the way the last one went a bird in hand is better than two in the bush (maybe nobody would even want him at all). 

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

The extra value of the contract is nobody had to be waived, that likely makes up for any extra Benning might have made at the TDL, plus the way the last one went a bird in hand is better than two in the bush (maybe nobody would even want him at all). 

exactly

the timing of this move

was to avoid having to waive a player

and potentially lose that asset for nothing

nothing was now not the return..

the return was a small salary dump and a likely high 7th rounder

very solid move to deal with a crammed roster problem

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Who needs to refute B-otch or Prattle-jockey when they so willingly makes fools of themselves simply by virtue of thinking out loud?

Just for fun....these are Schenn's numbers in his small sample (8 games) in Anaheim this year that earned him a trip to the AHL:

66.7% ozone starts

38.9% corsi

4 giveaways, 0 takeaways.

4.8 on ice goals against per 60 = worst on the Ducks

0.7 on ice goals for = worst on the Ducks (excluding a player like Devin Shore, who has played 1 game).

0 pts, -6.

It's kinda hard to come up with numbers that horrible - even as a sheltered rookie rushed in prematurely.

But he had 24 hitzzz, so he's betta than Gudbranson!

Gotta love the self-trolling ingrates in this media market.

Make you wonder if they even watch games. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I guess it depends if you think a guy like Biega or Schaller would be claimed if they hit waivers and if so, would it be that big of a loss? If Schaller had been claimed, then we save on cap this year and next. If Biega is claimed, then we lose our 7th/8th dman, very replaceable as much as I love the guy. If no one trades for him at the deadline (we will see if he gets flipped at the deadline), then it's no loss as we signed him for nothing anyway.

I see the value of Schenn helping out Utica and gaining the pick, but I'm just curious if we had waited then maybe we could get something marginally better. I'm fine either way, but I can sense there will be some people giving Benning crap (once again) if MDZ is flipped for a 5th or something.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

but I can sense there will be some people giving Benning crap (once again) if MDZ is flipped for a 5th or something.

Those people would be wrong. The market may or may not change, JB traded a guy that wasn't playing with us much to a team that is willing to let MDZ play, at least for awhile.

I'm fine with what the Canucks got:

a roster spot

a draft pick

no longer have a guy sitting around, not playing, and eventually/unavoidably "souring the soup".

Those three pluses out weigh any  Future trade value... unless MDZ gets flipped for a second, even then it was still a good risk/reward taken. imo.

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I guess it depends if you think a guy like Biega or Schaller would be claimed if they hit waivers and if so, would it be that big of a loss? If Schaller had been claimed, then we save on cap this year and next. If Biega is claimed, then we lose our 7th/8th dman, very replaceable as much as I love the guy. If no one trades for him at the deadline (we will see if he gets flipped at the deadline), then it's no loss as we signed him for nothing anyway.

I see the value of Schenn helping out Utica and gaining the pick, but I'm just curious if we had waited then maybe we could get something marginally better. I'm fine either way, but I can sense there will be some people giving Benning crap (once again) if MDZ is flipped for a 5th or something.

If people give JB crap for this trade they are idiots. You can't analyze this trade without remembering that EP40 is close to returning and someone was going to have to go on waivers to get him in the line-up. JB solved that problem added an asset to help the young defenseman in Utica and got a pick (even if it is just a 7th rounder) to boot...that is a win no matter how you try to spin it.

This is janitor work by Benning. 

You'd hope or even expect that the 3m FAs that he keeps signing would be for sale at the TDL, not for 7th rounders. 

Soon, I expect JB will have a body of work that he can’t hide from behind a few good drafts and less trades and signings. 

Ya, ya. It’s hate and trolling, I know. 

Adding a pick and a Utica vet with NHL experience for nothing....the FA cost the future nothing....is a nice piece of work.   People can argue about what pick it is etc. all they want but in a buyers marker (which is it this year), Benning how has picked up two extra picks for moving players going absolutely nowhere in Vancouver for a body or two and some picks.   

What's not to like?

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Adding a pick and a Utica vet with NHL experience for nothing....the FA cost the future nothing....is a nice piece of work.   People can argue about what pick it is etc. all they want but in a buyers marker (which is it this year), Benning how has picked up two extra picks for moving players going absolutely nowhere in Vancouver for a body or two and some picks.   

What's not to like?

Absolutely.  Why wait for TDL to find out your cherished UFAs are worth nothing.  Get Something (fifth, sixth round, who cares)  for them now while teams have something to gain.  It will be like the Hamhuis situation but worse this March.  And fortunately (unfortunately?) none of our signed FAs have the same hockey value or sentimental value as Hamhuis had.  Throw in the fact that Pettersson is returning next game?  Somebody has to go.  I see Goldobin as the next to go.

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Only thing I don't like is the salary retention as now we have two players with salary retention which is all we are allowed.

Now don't have that tool for the deadline.

Other than that it is one bad d for another and we get a lottery ticket out of it.

He wouldn't have moved without salary retention. 

I always thought it could be 2 players allowed as well but someone earlier in this thread said it's 3.

Not sure exactly.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

100% Agree. In addition....

I dont get why people are so up n arms over this the Canucks are starved at D and MDZ couldn't even crack our top 6 with his price tag I would put his value in the Neg. That they got anything at all is a win. Schenn will be good for Utica he may be slow but he has a cannon and is a punishing presence. 

This is a good hockey trade. 

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

exactly

the timing of this move

was to avoid having to waive a player

and potentially lose that asset for nothing

nothing was now not the return..

the return was a small salary dump and a likely high 7th rounder

very solid move to deal with a crammed roster problem

Well said. That’s the best case scenario for both teams. And MDZ. I’ve gained a lot of respect for MDZ. Didn’t hear him publicly whine about anything during his 1.5 years here. 

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This is janitor work by Benning. 

You'd hope or even expect that the 3m FAs that he keeps signing would be for sale at the TDL, not for 7th rounders. 

Soon, I expect JB will have a body of work that he can’t hide from behind a few good drafts and less trades and signings. 

Ya, ya. It’s hate and trolling, I know

The first step is awareness, so that's worth something. 

We sign a player for nothing and get a serviceable AHL asset and pick in return. What's not to love? Maybe check out my sig below. 

Archived