The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] I Think It's Time To Let Benning Go.

Benning  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wouldn't mind challenging your post for the sake of discussion.

Take out the current season (where there has been a subtle improvement) and you get a .374 win percentage between the 2015-2016 season and the 2017-2018 season. Now, take seasons 1996-1997 to 1998-1999, another identical dark time frame. Winning percentage is .336 during this time. Our most recent run of losing seasons is 4 percentage points better than my previous example, so it's not the worst. 

Trades are always hit and miss for all teams. With that said, the Baertschi trade was a good one, as was Granlund for Shinkaruk. Don't forget that Leivo was acquired for a long shot prospect in Carcone. Dahlen for Karlsson will be evaluated soon enough. Forsling for Clendening and Vey for a 2nd were both calculated gambles that didn't work out. As I said, every team has a plethora of unbalanced trades (Most recently Neidereiter for Rask, and the Forsberg for Erat+ may go down in history as one of the more lopsided trades in NHL history).

As far as Free agent signings go, the major flub was the 2016 Eriksson signing, which at the time was the expected going rate for a consistent 20-30 goal scorer. Other major free agent signings in 2016 include Lucic ($6M x 7 and not looking great today), Ladd ($5.5M x 7 and also not looking great today) and Brouwer ($4.5M x 4 and has since been bought out). Also, lest we forget Stecher was technically a free agent signing, and is looking pretty good, Biega was a nice depth find, and Roussel was doing quite well before his season ending injury. All the 2017 Free agent signings (Gagner, Del Zotto, Burmistrov, and Nilsson) have fulfilled their purpose to filling in the gaps and have all since been moved out. As far as signing young free agents go, keep in mind that the toungest majority of UFAs are 27. 29 isn't too far off that mark.

Admittedly, Benning's free agent contracts haven't been the greatest, but let's not disregard some of his extensions, which include Tanev at $4.45Mx5, Horvat at $5.5M x 6, and Dorsett at $2.65 x 4 (This one had it's controversies, but the team missed him when he had to retire so suddenly as he was a fixture in the character group).

Kudos to the New York Rangers, and the Ottawa Senators for acquiring vast amounts of picks in such a short span of time. With that said, I challenge you (or anyone for that matter) to find the percentage of picks selected in these upcoming drafts that play 100 games within the next 5 years. I'm happy to come back with a successful draft selection analysis from previous draft years and compare them with other teams to figure out where the Canucks stand among it's opposition. 2016 was a weak draft for JB as he will be lucky to come out of it with 2 players (Juolevi and possibly Lockwood). 2015 draft is looking pretty stacked: almost the entire 1st round has played in the NHL, and about two thirds of the first round class are impact players for their respective teams.

Your idea about a new GM following his contract isn't a bad one. There could be a swift turnaround that could lead us back into Stanley Cup conversation. With that said, a new GM and mandate can easily make the Canucks look like Edmonton, Buffalo, and Toronto pre-Shanaplan. Only time will tell at this point.

Hard to determine prospect development in Utica, considering the lack of quality prospects going through the system since his tenure began (Only current prospects of recent note are Lind, Gadjovich, Brisebois, Sautner, and MacEwan) as well as the success of our prospects at the NCAA level. Palmu going to Europe is potentially concerning, but keep in mind that he's a 6th round pick. Still considered a long-shot, and again, time will tell.

13 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You state a valid argument and listed hard facts, it's a glaring problem actually. Not going to be popular on here, the number of Benning fanboys on here are numbing. The idea is Benning, has done his part. Drafted some amazing players. Let another GM come in and cement on what we have and make us competitive quicker. A GM that has better management style, better at trading, better at signing UFAs. (Although Benning's re-signing of existing players over the past few years are decent)

Get a room you two. Or at least a nice quiet thread on the Oilers forum. :emot-parrot:

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

[Proposal] Time To Let Benning Go.

There has not been a GM in the NHL that has lasted as long as Benning with such a losing record. Since September 2015 to date the win percentage of .386 is the worst in Canuck history since the first four years of expansion, this doesn't change 319 games played, 123 games won and the 196 lost.

For all the talk of prospects he has done the least to help a team rebuilding other teams amass draft picks, even teams that had players with NMC's and NTC's, were moved so clause contracts are only an EXCUSE to do nothing not a reality.

in 2015 this team had 31 W and 51 L

In 2018 - 31 W and 51 L

He has not had a trade that has made a difference. He has not signed a FA that has made a difference, he has not added draft picks, he is the only GM that has two questionable draft picks out of the top 10 over 5 drafts, one that hasn't played at all. Under his management many Euros have left the team. The youngest FA he has signed in July was 29 years old, hardly getting younger, he stated clause contracts hampered trades and then signed more than the previous GM did in 8 years.

In 5 TDL days he has accomplished nothing, Dahlen left and Goldy is the current punching bag, Spooner benched, so nothing, no picks, 5 years.

He has stated the goal of the team is to play meaningful games in March? After 5 years it is not playoffs or a cup run, it is to play "meaningful" games, what does that mean? Out of the playoffs and want to play spoilers? Still be mathematically in the second wild card hunt? Only 10 points out?

His contracts are atrocious, too old, too long, too much with clauses to hamper trades.

Go ahead a parade Boeser out as a genius move, that is crap, he was ranked 25th and went there, Elias Pettersson, maybe a small kudo there but EP was ranked #1 Euro, but his drafting record is pretty disappointing being a scouting guru. He got lucky with Gaudette, but that was a pick Gillis got him otherwise he wasn't there as Benning doesn't get picks. So is Hughes such a coup when all of the top ten are expected to be stars as well, what if he drafted Dobson, Bouchard, Boquist or Zadina, the hype would be the same.

After 5 years of picks, at least 35 players drafted and only 4 are on the NHL team, Elias, Brock, Jake and Adam, funny thing, any that started their career in Utica, none have made the team.

Benning has one more year on his contract and I am concerned that his "future" becomes to the forefront. This is a time that the team COULD make the playoffs next year but end up a crap team, old with many clause contracts and young player's best years being used up OR the team does what is best for the franchise and spends one full season playing some of those 30 some odd draft picks giving them experience in the NHL, showing them what they need to improve on during the CBA lockout.

A new GM with a new mandate and contract will be more into having one bad year, his first followed by many winning seasons, a new GM might feel secure enough to do what is necessary, trade off vets for picks, trade for bad contracts with picks attached, maybe even trade a young player, Brock or Bo, to get even more top picks, dmen, Either have huge value for teams with a lot of picks, Colorado for instance, Horvat at center, Buffalo, Brock as a trigger man for Eichel with some salary relief, just examples, maybe even a Lucic deal with retention a top pick/prospect (of size) just stuff that, complex deals that need quick responses, appear to be beyond anything Benning has shown he is capable of. 

Fantasy, all Fantasy have fun. Please no "they will be great in the future", I concede, at some time in the future the Canucks will be a good team and even win the cup, but not next year.

Hey a big positive this year, they will not lose 50 games, all those championing all those prospects now have tangible proof of improvement.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

I thought you got banned by Deb yesterday.

I firmly believe a lot of JB's FA moves and trades were due to circumstance- this team didnt have enough talent and depth.  Now with the emergence of EP and hopefully Quinn Hughes, along with some of the other young players taking another step JB can be very shrewd now in his moves or target specific talent.  

I for one want to see what JB does this off season.  I think he is going to try and shed some salary if he can, and target an impact player or two that fits within the core players age range.  

But I guess we will have to wait and see.

I try not to reply to any of your posts and leave you be. However, this one is absolutely atrocious. You haven't considered any of the positives at all. You give credit for the 5th round pick but no credit for making the pick. Sorry but this is absolutely horrible and lacks merit.

Couldve picked Glass or Villardi - picked Pettersson - you were probably one of those that were upset by this

In a redraft, Boeser goes top 10 and it was Benning who realized the potential and skill was there

Picked Gaudette with the 5th

Picked Madden with a 3rd

Picked up Woo when there were other dman available just as highly touted. Woo has had a better seasons than all those other defenseman this year

Picked DiPietro with the 2nd or 3rd

Drafted Lockwood in the later rounds

Juolevi is still a good pick and will end up being a top 4 dman - has a skillset that is much stronger than Sergachev and Chychrun just needs to develop a tad bit longer

Hughes dropped several spots and Benning could've passed on him as well for someone like Dobson, Bouchard or Wahlstrom but he didn't.

Baertschi for a 2nd was a win

Granlund for Shinkaruk was a win the first couple years as well

Leivo for Carcone was an absolute win

Moved out veterans like Burrows, Hansen, Del Zotto, and Gagne and got decent returns for diminishing assets.

Roussel has had a career year

Beagle has provided the expertise that was required of him as a verteran - cant have all kids like Edmonton

Eriksson at the time of the signing was a good signing. No way for JB to predict a 30 goal scorer would never reach that milestone again

Could not trade Edler, teams were not giving enough value for Tanev. Kesler handcuffed the team. People need to stop bringing this sh*t up now.

With that being said, he has made his share of mistakes as well. Gudbrandson trade, Gudbrandson and Sutter extensions, etc. However, his wins outweigh the losses.

The only complaint I have with Benning is he needs to be more creative with his trades but that is also limited by what other teams are willing to do. Our trade assets are not all that valuable and mean more to the Canucks then to other teams so its not easy getting draft picks when something like a 5th,6th, or 7th is all that is being offered. Some of you need to understand that Benning cant just go out there and do what he pleases and no one on here is aware of the inner happenings of the organization. How do you know JB hasn't tried to obtain a top 4 dman or tried getting rid of Tanev, or tried to weaponize the cap space. Not everything gets leaked to the media.

They are playing meaningful games right now! With a  win today, we are 4 points out with 8 games to play.

So to the OP - sit down or go home. tired of wasting my time on the garbage you're spewing on here. I'm all for constructive criticism but you just seem to be trolling now.

11 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

So to the OP - sit down or go home. tired of wasting my time on the garbage you're spewing on here. I'm all for constructive criticism but you just seem to be trolling now.

Like so many others, I have OP on 'ignore', but I'm pretty sure he's been trolling 100% of the time, probably since post #1 !

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

:lol:I conceded that the team would win the cup in the future, as Benning does not talk about next year I meant maybe within the next 30 years.

Post all you want about the scattering of mistakes other GM's have made, that just shows how few there are and the need to find numerous other GM's mistakes to compare with Benning's, your example of Edmonton's GM's mistakes is curious, they fired him.

I also note there is no body of work actually showing a benefit from Benning's prowess, just a lot of immature protests of the content without proving any of it wrong.

Name a GM that has had as good a record as Benning and still has a job?

Name all those vaunted prospects and what positions they will play? Which clause contract vet they will knock out?

Name all the additional draft picks.

Name the NHL players he has traded for, not the AHL castoffs like Vey, Etem, Clendening, Granlund, Leipsic, ….and people wonder how Vegas was good right away, they simply got NHL players.

This is going on SIX years and all that can be said is two first round picks and a pick gifted from that previous GM.

The issue with your post is you ONLY have the negatives, and much of your negatives in the full context are actually beneficials or positives.  Your negatives are also entirely opinion based and many not grounded in fact.

You really need to stop for a time, go outside.  it's beautiful out there

Comparing Benning to Vegas when Vegas LITERALLY picked the cream of the NHL crop is so pathetic it isn't even worth discussing.

All of the additional draft picks, Benning is down 1 draft pick in his tenure of his allotted 7 rounds and of his trades 3 of his traded for picks are being considered NHL players

It's just so easily picked apart it hurts.  You're the equivalent of a poster on meth given a red bull and a tangent.  A lot of writing with no substance to speak of.

Just stop

36 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Like so many others, I have OP on 'ignore', but I'm pretty sure he's been trolling 100% of the time, probably since post #1 !

lol, ive read some of his other posts and sometimes, albeit rarely, you find something of substance. For the most part it makes no sense, or is him whining and complaining about one thing or another.

If you've been unhappy with this team for this long and cant seem to find a single reason to actually get excited then go find another team to cheer for. Stop ruining the mood in here with your crap.

Archived