The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Botchford Passes Away

Rate this topic

Provost

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wow, Tony G sharing fleeting feelings of "why couldn't that be me" in relation to being an older man who's enjoyed his time with kids/grandkids and feeling tinges of guilt as Botch's predecessor.  So sad.  He's really feeling the brunt of this horrible passing of a young man before his time.  So horribly tragic.  I'm almost crying at my desk...hitting hard.  Gah so unfair to his family.

Hearing that from Tony was tough to hear and spoke volumes to what Botch was to his peers. Not everybody agreed with him, but everybody respected what he’d have to say and admired his unique angle on things. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Hearing that from Tony was tough to hear and spoke volumes to what Botch was to his peers. Not everybody agreed with him, but everybody respected what he’d have to say and admired his unique angle on things. 

I'm going to soften my tone a bit....been harsh on Tony (too).  We are all Canucks - gotta remember that.

So much respect for our hockey family.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not going to pretend to have appreciated his work - but aside from hockey,  sad and shocking that he passed away while so young, leaving a wife, a couple daughers and a son behind.....condolences to his loved ones - hopefully they had precious times together while they were able.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have always defended Botch. Of all the local media guys, he was the most engaging and had a drive to get the details behind the story. Yes he could be irritating, but nobody worked harder to track down the facts. It was popular around here for people to pile on whenever some of his work was brought up, but he was never a fan boy and he didn't serve up fat softballs to players, coaches or management. He asked the questions I had and he was fearless. His invention of the Provies was groundbreaking, current and a much needed refresh to traditional, hero-worshipping sports journalism. When I wanted reaction to something the Canucks had or hadn't done, I trusted Botch more than any other Vancouver media member. I will miss him making management and coaches squirm and will miss him on the Patcast. I feel terrible for his wife and kids and hope they can adjust to the gaping hole left in their family.

Totally agree with everything you've said.  The Provies/Athletties were innovative, must read post game coverage.  Tip of the hat to Botch.

It's a very sad day. Botchford started covering the Canucks right around the time when I started watching hockey. I was a huge fan of the PatCast and The Provies/Athletties. I thought he was a very divisive  figure in the Canucks media circle, but he definitely drew intrigue and kept things interesting. He was original and had an edge in his writing.  

Loved the guy. 

Always respected his honest opinions. He leaves behind a huge void in Canucks life that will never be filled. What a brutal loss as a sports fan here in BC. 

I live in the Kootenay’s and tuned in to hear Botch’s take on Canucks affairs regularly. 

Whst s shock. Really gonna miss him. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

One thing you cannot deny about Botchford, he was very passionate. I've always respected his work, even if I didn't agree with it many of the times. He had my respect. He was credible for the most part. And he was an amazing writer that most times brought a 'dissenting' taste to his work that really made everyone keep reading his work. He was a successful writer. 

This is a shocker, this one hurts really bad. I'm at a loss for words, I gasped when I opened this thread. Very sudden and far too young, and leaves behind a very young family. 3 kids without a father, and another wife loses her companion.

I cannot reiterate this enough, Botch was a passionate Canucks fan, and I'm sad he won't have the chance to see this team enter it's brighter years.  

RIP, we've lost a great writer.

Like they've been saying on 1040 all day I think Botch was more a fan of Canucks fans then he was a fan of the Canucks. That, to me, is huge reason why his articles were so engaging to read (as a 30 year plus fan)

Really loved listening to the power hour and the pat cast.  Didn’t always agree with him but he was an amazing personality to listen to. I feel really sad we won’t be able to hear anything more from Botch.

As someone who has lost someone really close to them in the past year, I have just been imagining how his family feels.  For three young children to now grow up without a father so suddenly really shoots pain right through my heart.  Writing this with tears cause I know exactly how it feels and I wish no one would ever have to suffer through this.

Rest in peace Botch and my prayers are with his family.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm going to soften my tone a bit....been harsh on Tony (too).  We are all Canucks - gotta remember that.

So much respect for our hockey family.

Exactly.

Regardless of opinions on how to take this team forward towards a championship, we all want the same end goal.

I don't know why people overlook this just because someone else disagrees with their views on the current organization.

Botchford was a great person. I know an aspiring journalist who personally would contact Botchford with every question possible and always get responses. His relationship with the fanbase was excellent and especially great for youth.

Spent the whole work day listening to 1040... I'm still in shock. So many in the media are unwilling to go outside the box, or be independent thinkers who challenge status quo. Botchford was just a fantastic journalist.

Such a sad day. Especially for his family. I wish them all peace during this time..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1