The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benn Wants out of Dallas

10 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Benns best years are most likely behind him and Horvats best years are still ahead of him.

If we can make a deal without including our future core then yes. I would be fine with giving up our 1st rounder this year along with Gaudette and w.e. else it takes.

I'd give up that package for a young, quality dman. Not for an overpaid, trending downwards, issues, possible best years behind him winger. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

He was like 25 when he said those comments. Pretty bad it shows his character lol. He probably apologized because he lives in BC and didn't want to be heckled every time he came home. Do we really want a 29 yr old Benn tho? That is kinda like the Subban thing.

If Eriksson goes the other way, yes. 

Dallas is in win now mode so I think we could have a decent shot without giving up much, if any youth.

Eriksson with 50% retained could be appealing to a Stars team that has seen his best days

Sutter could be an appealing option

Tanev and Baertschi might also draw some interest.

I would offer

Sutter/Eriksson at 50% + Tanev + Baertschi + 2020 lottery protected 1st 

28 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Dallas is in win now mode so I think we could have a decent shot without giving up much, if any youth.

Eriksson with 50% retained could be appealing to a Stars team that has seen his best days

Sutter could be an appealing option

Tanev and Baertschi might also draw some interest.

I would offer

Sutter/Eriksson at 50% + Tanev + Baertschi + 2020 lottery protected 1st 

Seems like a gross overpayment to upset our salary structure and although still good, Benn is a declining asset.

Tanev at the deadline to a contender (provided this is the one year he avoids being hobbled by injuries) is fairly valuable and we need to hold onto our 1sts like they are gold.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

There's some posters on here that wanna sell the farm for Jamie Benn. In 2 months he'll be on the wrong side of 30, is by all accounts on the decline and has $57 million owing to him. You don't give up 1st round picks + + for guys like that. 

That contract is horrendous.  I wouldn't even sign him for that amount+ term as a UFA, let alone give up a massive return for him.

• Upvote 2

That's an anchor of a contract. Plus the assets to acquire him. Easy pass.

We need to stay the course and keep accumating assets, not ready to make a splash like Benn. 

Benning likely to hit up the ufa market and move out some older pieces which could be hard to do

In other news ......

Tyler Seguin is looking for a new boyfriend. “It all started with the color of our drapes.” sniffles a distraught Seguin.  “We used to have fun together....he would look in my eyes when we kissed....hold hands on the beach....” 

EFF Benn. The sedin sisters comment ruled him out of any possible “leadership”. Boohoo your boss called you out for being a fat lazy turd. Welcome to being a fat lazy turd. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

There's some posters on here that wanna sell the farm for Jamie Benn. In 2 months he'll be on the wrong side of 30, is by all accounts on the decline and has $57 million owing to him. You don't give up 1st round picks + + for guys like that. 

Other than the perception of age over 30 = declining, what other indication would suggest it's a sure thing that he's declining?

Is it because of one drop off year so far after a pretty good track record so far? His drop off year puts him tied for goals scored on our team and one behind 1st. He would be by far the most physical presence in our top 6. And he still put up a decent 10 points in 13 playoffs games which matches the top players on his team this year in production (and basically a PPG playoff guy when he gets there). If one drop off year is enough to think a player is going to decline immensely, then I'm sure many would've given up on a guy like Giordano a couple of years ago (and especially at 35 years old) only to miss out on a current Norris candidate at 37 years old.

With that said, I do agree that he's slightly overpaid, but not by much at this point, but maybe moreso by the end of his contract which only takes him until he's 36 which depending on his health (which has been relatively good so far, although so was Sutter before he came here), he should be able to maintain his play at a high level until then. That is the only downside here, but the idea IMO is if we can get him in a position where he handcuffs his team and forces a deal to us so we can buy low, then it's worth the risk. I wouldn't give up the #10 for him, but next years 1st would be off the table for me as it should be a much lower 1st especially with the addition of a player like Benn.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Seems like a gross overpayment to upset our salary structure and although still good, Benn is a declining asset.

Tanev at the deadline to a contender (provided this is the one year he avoids being hobbled by injuries) is fairly valuable and we need to hold onto our 1sts like they are gold.

Take out the 1st and that’s no worse than gudbranson for Pearson,

In fact Gudbranson for Pearson was probably worse. We effectively gave up McCann , 2nd, and a 3rd for gudbranson.

if they take that for benn minus the first. You take that and run lol

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Wat 1

The only trade that makes this slightly plausible in the last 50 years was Karlsson to Sanjose. Ottawa really got jack for Karlsson.

if we can do that and get benn. Sign me up.

but hard cap at no Horvat, ep, Hughes, and Boeser . And no draft picks. Anything else I am fine with.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Other than the perception of age over 30 = declining, what other indication would suggest it's a sure thing that he's declining?

Is it because of one drop off year so far after a pretty good track record so far? His drop off year puts him tied for goals scored on our team and one behind 1st. He would be by far the most physical presence in our top 6. And he still put up a decent 10 points in 13 playoffs games which matches the top players on his team this year in production (and basically a PPG playoff guy when he gets there). If one drop off year is enough to think a player is going to decline immensely, then I'm sure many would've given up on a guy like Giordano a couple of years ago (and especially at 35 years old) only to miss out on a current Norris candidate at 37 years old.

With that said, I do agree that he's slightly overpaid, but not by much at this point, but maybe moreso by the end of his contract which only takes him until he's 36 which depending on his health (which has been relatively good so far, although so was Sutter before he came here), he should be able to maintain his play at a high level until then. That is the only downside here, but the idea IMO is if we can get him in a position where he handcuffs his team and forces a deal to us so we can buy low, then it's worth the risk. I wouldn't give up the #10 for him, but next years 1st would be off the table for me as it should be a much lower 1st especially with the addition of a player like Benn.

Over Benn's last 3 seasons, he's averaged 67 points. The 3 seasons before that, he averaged 85 points. That's a pretty steep decline, bottoming out at 53 points last year. Also, for every Giordano, there's 20+ Lucic, Eriksson etc. That free agent class alone had 5 or 6 guys that were great players that basically fell off a cliff.