The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Just ask leaf fans now. They font need marner apparently.

Oh my. His their best player and unlike Mathews and Nylander , he worked his way up from the fourth line. His the whole package, his a winger I would build around cause he makes everyone around him better and damn he plays the Pk too. If the leafs don't have him I could see them missing the playoffs and for sure if Mathews gets injuried again...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I guess you're right about Matthews. That 5 year deal didn't really seem necessary. Maybe Dubas was scared Matthews would win a scoring title or Rocket Richard trophy last year and then he'd have to pay upwards of $13M if he waited to re-sign him. He didn't. Instead he gave Matthews market value with player friendly term. Hindsight is 20/20 though. 

Market value for a UFA, not RFA.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Oh my. His their best player and unlike Mathews and Nylander , he worked his way up from the fourth line. His the whole package, his a winger I would build around cause he makes everyone around him better and damn he plays the Pk too. If the leafs don't have him I could see them missing the playoffs and for sure if Mathews gets injuried again...

You dont have to tell me man. Tsn and leaf blowers ram TML koolaid down our throats all year then when it comes time to pay him hes suddenly expendable. 

Cracks me up.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Market value for a UFA, not RFA.

Well, technically McDavid set market the year before. With Matthews, it was the 5 year term that surprised a lot of people. These agents aren't stupid though. If it wasn't Nylander last year, it would have been one of the RFAs this year. Everyone knows once the NHL gets the new TV deal settled, the cap is going to rise. So the climate is a little different than it was in the past.

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well, technically McDavid set market the year before. With Matthews, it was the 5 year term that surprised a lot of people. These agents aren't stupid though. If it wasn't Nylander last year, it would have been one of the RFAs this year. Everyone knows once the NHL gets the new TV deal settled, the cap is going to rise. So the climate is a little different than it was in the past.

Well the only reason Matthews has a 5 year deal is to go to Arizona as a UFA 

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Well the only reason Matthews has a 5 year deal is to go to Arizona as a UFA 

Think of all the BC boys that signed in American markets come free agency. The 5 year term is so Matthews can hit UFA status as quickly as possible and get an 8 year deal after the new TV deal is signed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

While this summer has been good and I'm looking forward to hockey, it's September dammit and all I asked for was to see this thread end with the best possible outcome.  Dammit!

There won’t be a best possible outcome because we are stuck with him. No one wants him. I’m sure JB has tried everything from retaining salary and adding later round picks. 

14 hours ago, grandmaster said:

There won’t be a best possible outcome because we are stuck with him. No one wants him. I’m sure JB has tried everything from retaining salary and adding later round picks. 

best outcome at this point is he comes in, wins a spot and is a contributing member of the team

I had a dream last night that Eriksson and management mutually agreed to terminate the contract. Lets just say.... it was almost a wet dream..... yup. 

That would open up soooo many options for us going forward. We finally can start getting a hold of the cap and take advantage. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

best outcome at this point is he comes in, wins a spot and is a contributing member of the team

An unlikely one at that. I can’t see how he has the ability anymore to bump anyone that is already pencilled in. He will be back and forth in the lineup and likely sent to Utica during parts of the season. Our 6M plug will haunt this team for 3 years :picard:

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

An unlikely one at that. I can’t see how he has the ability anymore to bump anyone that is already pencilled in. He will be back and forth in the lineup and likely sent to Utica during parts of the season. Our 6M plug will haunt this team for 3 years :picard:

He played pretty well for Sweden at the Worlds, he obviously still has something in the tank.  It'll be interesting to watch how it unfolds........it's one of the things I'm most interested in this pre-season.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jim Benning on Loui Eriksson:

"I've been in contact with Loui and his agent. He's going to have to come in to camp and have a good camp. He's still a good player, he hasn't scored, but he's a good penalty killer. We have to find a fit for him."

there you go, he's almost surely on the roster in some capacity.