The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I feel for Tanev. I remember when he first came into the league. He took such a beating in the corners and he would always bounce back up. He took next to zero penalties while being one of the best defensive defenseman. I remember thinking this guy is a warrior. Fast forward 8 years and everyone is on him because he cant stay healthy. His body is broke down because of what he did for the team years ago.

I agree its time to move on, but based on his diminished value, I wouldn't be surprised to see him suit up for the nucks and if healthy, moved at the deadline next spring.

^^^^^This^^^^

clap2.gif

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dm_ranger said:

If we take marleau would they take Erikson? 

They need cap space, badly. They don't want to take anything on unless its a significant reduction in their current salary load.

If we're patient, and maybe even willing to wait until well into late Aug, Toronto and a few more teams might become extremely desperate to make a move and do something.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sbriggs said:

They don't usually disclose that kind of info, but as reported they has multiple offers for Tanev @ TD and draft day

I saw that report as well, but I didn't see anything about a late first being offered? 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I love you MLL but sometimes you be pretty naive yo :lol: Gordie bless your honest, black and white little heart though! :wub:

He probably has an idea of what type of contract it would take and whether there is some legit interest - agents/GMs certainly discuss interest without naming the player.  Barry suggested as such by saying that Vancouver would be in the mix for Myers and Gardiner but there's no guarantee before free agency opens up.  

Just now, mll said:

He probably has an idea of what type of contract it would take and whether there is some legit interest - agents/GMs certainly discuss interest without naming the player.  Barry suggested as such by saying that Vancouver would be in the mix for Myers and Gardiner but there's no guarantee before free agency opens up.  

Nothing's guaranteed before pen hits paper MLL ;)

But you're kidding yourself if you don't think GM's/agents/players aren't already talking. There's a reason they basically approved a week of 'legalized tampering' (it was already happening and it is still already happening). Now they just have a one week 'veneer' to make it look less fishy.

Tanev with 40% retention is something every team will look at.  Canucks are in no danger of cap issues for 2 years.

That's worth a mid 1st this draft.

Look in to it and replace with Seider or Harley if possible!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

If Justin Braun gets a 2nd and 3rd, Tanev is getting a mid to late first or a high second with a very good prospect. His injuries have come from playing on a low posession team, and having to block everything in sight. On a puck possession team, Tampa, Toronto, Pitts, he'll stay healthy and help those teams tremendously. And he's on a good contract and will never command huge dollars as a defensive dman, lots for teams to like there.

I respectfully disagree. Tanev is not going to command a 1st. Teams are not looking at Tanev of 5 years ago. I agree high possession teams will see a value in Tanev... but they aren't going to pay for the perceived value on their team... they are going to pay for the real value on our team. Which translates to....

Tanev at 82 games last year = 1st round pick

Tanev at 60 games last year = 2nd round pick + decent prospect

Tanev at 60 games for last 3 years = Tanev staying in Vancouver OR  2nd round pick

If he was worth a first, people would have offered a first... and we know that hasn't happened because Tanev is still here.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I respectfully disagree. Tanev is not going to command a 1st. Teams are not looking at Tanev of 5 years ago. I agree high possession teams will see a value in Tanev... but they aren't going to pay for the perceived value on their team... they are going to pay for the real value on our team. Which translates to....

Tanev at 82 games last year = 1st round pick

Tanev at 60 games last year = 2nd round pick + decent prospect

Tanev at 60 games for last 3 years = Tanev staying in Vancouver OR Tanev 2nd round pick

If he was worth a first, people would have offered a first... and we know that hasn't happened because Tanev is still here.

Tanev with max retention adds more to a return. Those powerhouse teams are hurting for cap space and would like to add a top 4 dman at 2.25 mill for this season. He should have been moved last season with max retention because two years at that price would have for sure been worth a 1rst round pick. Dropped the ball on this. We hold onto all our valuable pieces until they’re almost fully depreciated. Not really sure why we held onto Tanev through all these rebuild years.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of trading him to the Jets.

Tanev for 19 overall - I would be willing to add a mid round pick if needed. Jets replace Trouba's open slot. We get to pick one of the defenseman that will be available then and can take a winger at 10.

Or Tanev + 10 for Ehlers + 19. Again, we would have to add a bit their but depending what they want that can be negotiated. They might be interested in Sutter with us retaining some salary. Ehlers would fill nicely into our desperately needed LW so we would not require our 10 pick for that, and then can use the 19 for a defenseman. 

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tanev with max retention adds more to a return. Those powerhouse teams are hurting for cap space and would like to add a top 4 dman at 2.25 mill for this season. He should have been moved last season with max retention because two years at that price would have for sure been worth a 1rst round pick. Dropped the ball on this. We hold onto all our valuable pieces until they’re almost fully depreciated. Not really sure why we held onto Tanev through all these rebuild years.

We held on to Tanev because we had no one else who could play defensive defense and no goalie. Edler is offence, Guddy was a disaster, Delzaster, Pouliot.. ouch. then we had new guys Stetcher and Hutton. Tanev was the only non-liability on the ice. If we gave him up 2 years ago yes, we would have had a nice return.. but at what cost? Marky's GAA would have put him in the minors and we'd still be shopping for more defense. You can't have addition without subtraction and Tanev would have left a pretty big hole.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

mentoring Hughes and/or OJ. Why hang the kids out to dry for a 20% chance at a pick making the NHL? doesn't make sense. Better to wait, let the kids learn with him, and maybe if he's not hurt move him for a lot more at the TDL. 

Mentor how?  He won't be with the team 40% of the year.  Plus he'll be spending the rest of his time focusing on his rehab, treatment and conditioning.  Sign a veteran leader that will play a shutdown and mentoring role and get asset in return for Tanev.

20%... I'd take these odds any day.

• Upvote 1