The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think it's because this team is playing terrible that people are starting to see the flaws in the way this team is playing.

We are not in October anymore and this team just can't seem to hold a lead. And 42 shots by Ottawa is just unacceptable 

In other news... How’s the Leaf’s strategy of signing guys on IR in order to manage their cap situation going? 
Acceptable or unacceptable?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I'm pissed at the Canucks right now I love Burr like the rest of you and this is the effort they put in very disappointing 

Jumping out to an early lead and coasting to victory has been done before by successful teams. The NHL season is gruelling and players will coast from time to time to endure it. 
Going flat out 100% of the time is not sustainable. It bugs me too, when I go to a game and one or both of the teams seem to be drifting around with little emotion. That’s the way it goes. 

4 years ago, Alex Burrows signed my very first Canucks jersey at a signing event at London Drugs, the day before Pat Quinn's tribute game against Philadelphia.

I remember as I was leaving, I told him "Good luck tomorrow" and he responded with a "Thanks."

He scored two goals in a span of, I dunno, 14 seconds? Anyway, that was quite special to see, and I hope to get a seat at the Feb 12th game against the Hawks!

• Like 1

Love this win for Burrows the Dragon Slayer. Gaudette is starting to show flashes of what we all hoped he would become when we first drafted him. The guy has a drive that can’t be taught, it’s hard to put into words, but if he keeps this up he will be on the Canucks for many years to come. Virtanen continuing to improve. Roussel the firecracker igniting the building. Demko deserves a star, he kept us in it. Oh and if we didn’t lose earlier in Pittsburgh 8-6 I’m betting this result probably wouldn’t happen. 2 games since then we were up late with the opposition charging hard and managed to shut the door. Lesson learned.

Btw the MVP to me who may have saved the game as we were on our heels can we also give a shout out to the Canucks video ice guy and then Travis Green for calling the coaches challenge on the 5-3 disallowed goal? We were in all sorts of trouble with tons of time left on the clock. John or John didn’t notice, the crowd didn’t notice, the refs didn’t notice, video ice guy does and gets the goal disallowed.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Amebushi said:

Not the best played game, but a W is a W. Thank you Burrows!  

2 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Bailed out by the goaltender(again) after the rest of the team showed  up for 1 period. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Getting Rooster back is like signing a new player. With all the injuries, just in time too. Fantenberg missed all yr, now has a chance to show his stuff with Edler out 2 weeks. Once Ferland, Beagle and Sutter are back, the guys will have enough depth battling for the playoff spot. 

Nice to see the Canucks win on the night Burrows goes into the Ring of Honour. And it is always more fun to comment after a win than a loss. Here are my comments.

1. It seems pretty clear that all the emotion surrounding the Burrows induction helped the team get off to a good start. 

2. Gaudette and Roussel combined for a great first goal. Gaudette played an excellent game overall and was named first star. It is unlikely Sutter or Beagle makes the play Gaudette did to set up Roussel, That play was partly the result of Gaudette's hustle, his vision, his timing, his hockey IQ and his passing ability. So far this year his PPG is about 0.7 and his plus/minus is positive.. That is outstanding for the 3C position and would be well above average for the 2C slot. He has solidfied his spot on the team.

3. When Sutter and Beagle come back that will help the team, in large part because that will help the PK and it will also provide a legitimate shutdown line. I would put Sutter and Beagle together, probably with Schaller, and that would provide good shutdown capability for protecting late leads. 

4. Great to see MacEwan get his first goal. Everyone is saying how fitting it is that Roussel scored on Burrows'  night. And it is. But if there is any Canuck following the Burrows track, it is Big Mac. An undrafted player who paid his dues in the AHL and works hard every shift, he does not have a lot of skill but he just keeps improving and doing whatever he can to help the team. When Sutter, Beagle, and Ferland come back, Big Mac probably goes to the press box or maybe even to Utica, but he just keeps getting better and I predict he will help the team a lot this year and next. 

5. In the loss to Edmonton on Sunday, the PK was not good. And tonight the Canucks were lucky Ottawa did not score on the PP, although the second Ottawa goal was effectively a PP goal as it was scored just after Tanev came back on the ice and before he could get into the play. A lot of the talk about the PK problems is about Sutter and Beagle, and it will help to get them back. But I think the biggest hit to the PK is the loss of Edler. 

6. Fanteberg was okay tonight as replacement for Edler, and he got a goal (a knuckleball from the point). He was pretty fortunate that went in, but it was a good play to get the puck on the net with traffic in front. But Fanteberg was buried in Corsi tonight despite getting easy minutes. I would rather have him in there than Pouliot or MDZ, but if Edler is out long it will hurt the team. 

7. Speaking of traffic in front, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals were all deflections or redirections from in front. That shows skill but it also shows determination by the guy in front and good decision-making by the shooter to get the puck through with traffic in front. 

8. Petey scored on a nice deflection from Boeser on the PP. But that line actually did not have a good game. At 5-on-5 their CORSI numbers were not good and I thought they struggled. I am not complaining, The are excellent players and you can't have a great night every night. And they are skilled enough to usually get on the board even when they are having an off-night. But I think both Boeser and Petey will benefit a lot from a few days off this week.  I don't think stamina is a strong point for either of those guys and they have been carrying a heavy load. 

9.Finally, I am not sure I would call this a steal for Demko, but it is close. He played a great game was instrumental in the win. 

• Upvote 1

kinda felt like the Nashville game where their team played better than ours but our goalie played better than theirs.. nice to see the 5 goals, but i didn't notice our top 2 lines much all game except for the PP goal and a couple of chance here and there. easily could have gone the other way if Nilsson played better in net, not gonna complain much as they are still tired.. get some rest and on to the next

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Nice to see the Canucks win on the night Burrows goes into the Ring of Honour. And it is always more fun to comment after a win than a loss. Here are my comments.

1. It seems pretty clear that all the emotion surrounding the Burrows induction helped the team get off to a good start. 

2. Gaudette and Roussel combined for a great first goal. Gaudette played an excellent game overall and was named first star. It is unlikely Sutter or Beagle makes the play Gaudette did to set up Roussel, That play was partly the result of Gaudette's hustle, his vision, his timing, his hockey IQ and his passing ability. So far this year his PPG is about 0.7 and his plus/minus is positive.. That is outstanding for the 3C position and would be well above average for the 2C slot. He has solidfied his spot on the team.

3. When Sutter and Beagle come back that will help the team, in large part because that will help the PK and it will also provide a legitimate shutdown line. I would put Sutter and Beagle together, probably with Schaller, and that would provide good shutdown capability for protecting late leads. 

4. Great to see MacEwan get his first goal. Everyone is saying how fitting it is that Roussel scored on Burrows'  night. And it is. But if there is any Canuck following the Burrows track, it is Big Mac. An undrafted player who paid his dues in the AHL and works hard every shift, he does not have a lot of skill but he just keeps improving and doing whatever he can to help the team. When Sutter, Beagle, and Ferland come back, Big Mac probably goes to the press box or maybe even to Utica, but he just keeps getting better and I predict he will help the team a lot this year and next. 

5. In the loss to Edmonton on Sunday, the PK was not good. And tonight the Canucks were lucky Ottawa did not score on the PP, although the second Ottawa goal was effectively a PP goal as it was scored just after Tanev came back on the ice and before he could get into the play. A lot of the talk about the PK problems is about Sutter and Beagle, and it will help to get them back. But I think the biggest hit to the PK is the loss of Edler. 

6. Fanteberg was okay tonight as replacement for Edler, and he got a goal (a knuckleball from the point). He was pretty fortunate that went in, but it was a good play to get the puck on the net with traffic in front. But Fanteberg was buried in Corsi tonight despite getting easy minutes. I would rather have him in there than Pouliot or MDZ, but if Edler is out long it will hurt the team. 

7. Speaking of traffic in front, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals were all deflections or redirections from in front. That shows skill but it also shows determination by the guy in front and good decision-making by the shooter to get the puck through with traffic in front. 

8. Petey scored on a nice deflection from Boeser on the PP. But that line actually did not have a good game. At 5-on-5 their CORSI numbers were not good and I thought they struggled. I am not complaining, The are excellent players and you can't have a great night every night. And they are skilled enough to usually get on the board even when they are having an off-night. But I think both Boeser and Petey will benefit a lot from a few days off this week.  I don't think stamina is a strong point for either of those guys and they have been carrying a heavy load. 

9.Finally, I am not sure I would call this a steal for Demko, but it is close. He played a great game was instrumental in the win. 

I disagree with keeping Gaudette as third C He's 33% on the draws and his line does get hemmed up a lot defensively as it did tonight. Made a few good plays though. I think his spot is as the 2nd line RW next to Bo where he isn't a liability defensively and on the draws. Big reason why Bo is taking so many draws is because we don't have anyone else who can with Beagle and Sutter out. We all know Bo needs a winger and Roussel who was his best one last season is back and Gaudette's better coming down the wing.

A 2nd line of Roussel-Bo-Gaudette would be a quality one. Also our 4th line of Schaller-Beagle-Motte was on fire before Motte got hurt so I'd put that line back together and see if that spark becomes a flame again.

Ferland-Sutter-Virtanen is a solid energy line and Ferland was starting to produce on it before his injury. It would make Leivo/Pearson extras but i'd probably swap out Virtanen with Pearson right now since he is hot right now.

Send Eriksson down with the others.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Is there actually any other team that does all this celebreting of players that have never won cups. It's kind of rediculas all this praise for a bunch of failures.

Your posts are cringe worthy.

...so you could at least spell those words correctly.  

Edited by Kanukfanatic