The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Ya they need to do whatever they can to keep Toffoli. Having 2 legit offensive lines could keep as a playoff contender.

Who knows Ferlands status, his future might be on LTIR. Then Josh Leivo's injury has likely hurt his UFA value. Maybe we can bring him back on a decent value contract.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

I have a feeling they are going to sit down with Loui & try to figure out a resolution to this situation. The key thing then will be to move Sutter, or if there no takers possibly Roussel. (Tho that wouldn't be ideal)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Haha if you think 1 game is going to make it all go away think again. LE missed a couple of really good chances before that puck bounced off of him into the net. BO! was the shining point tonight and played one his best games I have seen him play in a long time. Lets see how the next few games pan out before we start talking about...... "eating crow". ::D

Louie’s offensive game is all but gone, I’m not debating that.  
He was really good defensively though and the three of them just work really well together, most of the time. 

The big take away from last night for me was how quick the Canucks were moving the puck in our own zone and sometimes just chipping it out preventing Boston from getting any sustained pressure. As well we were keeping pressure on all over the ice. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Well it was great to see a tired Boston team come in and get destroyed by our Canucks,we caught them at the right time for a change and it showed.

That was a GREAT WIN.

there has never been excuses for the Canucks coming off a long road trip and losing, so no excuses for the boo hoo BRUINS!  they just didn't lose either, it was an outright beat down!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya they need to do whatever they can to keep Toffoli. Having 2 legit offensive lines could keep as a playoff contender.

Who knows Ferlands status, his future might be on LTIR. Then Josh Leivo's injury has likely hurt his UFA value. Maybe we can bring him back on a decent value contract.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Motte

I have a feeling they are going to sit down with Loui & try to figure out a resolution to this situation. The key thing then will be to move Sutter, or if there no takers possibly Roussel. (Tho that wouldn't be ideal)

Which contracts have to go, so we can keep Marky, Tanev, Tofu, and give bumps to our UFAs?  

Loui, Sutter, Baer, ???

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Louie’s offensive game is all but gone, I’m not debating that.  
He was really good defensively though and the three of them just work really well together, most of the time. 

I think the question is whether we would rather have Loui or Tofu?  Don’t you think JB would love to dump Loui’s six million per, so he could give that (or part of it) to Tofu?  And would we rather have Sutter plus Baer, or Marky?  

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think best leave Toffoli on EP line when BB gets back. They make a good line. BB can play with Horvat, be the scorer small forward on that line. Bo and Pearsson both good wall players and physical. 

EP needs a guy like Toffoli more. He plays a harder game and finds open space. 

Fully agree, Petey needs that support. Boes will do OK with Bo. If they did this with the Twins they might have been able to play a little longer. Keeping them both on the top line did them no favors.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

To be fair, players are usually trade bait because they're good.  Other teams don't want garbage.  That said, trading a dman makes little sense at this point.  If anyone is on the block, it's Roussel, imo.

Motte shows far more than Roussel at this moment... Could be curtains for Roussel, if somebody is being moved...

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

In the GTD when I was hoping for them to "push first" and take it to the Bruins, I didnt actually believe they were going to.

It was a great hope.

One I thought they might be capable of, but not one I truly believed they were ready to put on display.

Back of my head I had an ideal scenario of a 5-4ish OT game and would have been pleased to take a point from Boston.

Boston started to come back hard there for a few mins but then the boys completely flipped the script

What we saw last night filled my cup until it overflowed.

Then it just kept on pouring in, more and more and more.

I never would have expected that outcome. I always get excited to see them vs Boston.... but last night broke my passion / emotion gauge. 

I literally have no idea what to expect from this team now. Gotta try and temper all that, but by the graces of the hockey Gauds we may be witnessing the beginning of the most amazing ride we, as Canucks fans, will ever be on.

Same here, lucky. They brought everything. Scoring, solid defense (where’s that been?) , unreal goaltending, and a ton of passion and pushback. They were dominant in every possible way. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

it comes down to his contract at the end of the year. Either we trade him now and get something for him or we have to qualify him at a number that will not be to our liking.if we dont qualify him at that number he then becomes a free agent and can walk away for nothing. Given the salary cap implications I would have no issue with trading him. We have quite a few free agents at years end. If the difference in Stech's money meant you couldn't sign Markstrom or Tanev what would you do?

Bingo.... Tough decisions have to be made... for every guy we want, money have to be found.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The beautiful thing is...we know it's there.

Some here have hinted it's not....but this team's chemistry can fire up the machine.

Now, to sustain this on an every game basis?.....likely no.   Gruelling and punishing.  But to know they can bring it like this?  Absolutely encouraging.

Teams won't really see us as pushovers for long.  Take roiding Charzilla out of the mix and the Bruins aren't so big and bad.  They use dirty tactis, buddy up with the refs and when that fails, they start to get frustrated and a little lost.

Best team in the league's a lot easier when you get all the calls/breaks.  Marchand should've been gone long ago but his cocky ass has been awarded more free passes than a guy playing Monopoly by himself.  It generates confidence and momentum..."untouchable". 

Our boys were NOT intimidated last night and used speed, skill, our go to goaltending and a solid gameplan last night to break down the smelly Bruins.

They deployed a different D zone system last night. Puck pressure and taking the man. Much much less collapsing to the middle of the ice!

We all know that their offensive systems are top in the league, but to successfully and so convincingly flip a switch like that tells me that we are in for something VERY interesting coming down the stretch here.

• Upvote 1