The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 22, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I just can’t get over just how talented Hughes is 

he has such speed and skill it allows him to take offensive risks knowing with just a few strides he can get back into position 

the offensive players on opposing teams just can’t track him down

his vision and hockey iq is at an elite level and the kid is a rookie 

my only fear is that he starts to become a huge target as games become bigger from here on 

we need to have zero tolerance if people take cheap shots and they would be cheap shots because nobody can catch up and corner the kid legally 

what a gem JB and crew found 

Couldn't agree more.  Push back seems to be amping up.  The captain led by example- and good on Myers too.  Best game in years ...

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

In other news... A 42 year old zamboni driver plays goal for Carolina and beats the Leafs!  Maybe Dubas should find 6 more zamboni drivers who can play defence for his team.

Rielly is really the Leafs only good defenceman. Maybe Sandin. They need to get rid of Nylander and get a top notch defenceman. You can't outscore your problems. 

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

I was forced to listen to the game last night while I drywalled the garage.. here's my take-aways..

1/ nice to know the boys can produce some passion when they want. if they play like that to finish out the season, they might surprise some people in the playoffs.. 

2/ how 'bout that Toffoli guy? tell me he's not loving life right now.. traded from the swamp to one of the best top lines in the league.. time will tell how it plays out, but that could be the best trade JB has made..

3/ can't help but wonder if Boeser is feeling a but insecure right now.. for whatever reason, he hasn't played all that well in the last couple months, and now TT swoops in and seems to gel pretty nicely on the first line. either way, he should be taking notes from a guy who has a pretty good release.. 

4/ Bo Horvat.. was that his best game as captain? 

5/ Stecher may have raised his trade value a bit.. 

6/ I don't care if Boston played back to back - they're the top team in the league, and that game was so exciting, even Randork couldn't screw it up.. great statement game, hopefully they can launch off that to hit the road confident and close out the season with a bang

edit: 7/ I couldn't believe there was 9 goals and Hughes didn't get 3 assists.. I believe if he did, he would have the most 3 apple games for a rookie D in history (is that correct?) kid is a phenom, and I was pretty sure he'd hit the wall in Feb but it looks like he's getting better if anything. he has impacted his team far more than Makar.. Calder top runner right now

Boeser should not worry , he has enough on his plate with his injury and his father, if Green keeps Tyler on the first, then I am sure Bess will slot in on the second with Bo.  there is room for both of them! Horvat played his best game,  he really stepped up and most of the team did too. I was mad at first with Jake V. He floated around  most of the night , while his team mates were into the play , he stayed back and watched, but then he began to wake  up near the end of the game and he even scored a goal.  Keep it going Jake! we don't need Barrie!

Couldn't have picked a worse game to miss than this one.  I fricken hate the Bruins and love to watch them suffer. 

But let's make this about us.  When we bring our A game we can make anyone look bad.  Guys like Miller and Motte do it all the time.  If the rest join in, we're very hard to stop.  JB was totally right to give the team a vote of confidence with the Toffoli trade.  I like our chances in the playoffs.  Not just making them, but advancing in them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Ok so when the team had the game in Boston a few weeks ago we looked like we were done . Flat out tired, long road trip, no push back. It wasn't our best game but its nice to see it motivated the guys for last night. That's the emotion i was speaking of at that time.

Last night every player showed up.

Horvat- Captain Canuck shows the heart we need to see each and every night. The Gordie Howe hat trick and what a game.

Hughes- more than anyone could have expected right away this kid is not only Calder trophy material he is also a Norris trophy candidate. Carlson may have that locked up but look at the team he plays on.

Marky played well but this was a team win not just a 49 shot shutout. Goalies steal wins sometimes, i wouldn't count this as one of them

Stecher has been my kicking target for a couple weeks but that's the game that he can play and if he is more consistent he will stay in Vancouver. No more own goals. although he did have a chance for one he didnt end up kicking it in... good for him.

Toffoli is looking much like the Miller trade. Two games in he goes to the open spots on the ice and can convert.

Miller is well Miller. hes been awesome.

Petey, how nice that we did not have to rely on him to score for the win.Gets one but he was good all night.

Myers, nice hit and stood up against Chara. Can we see more of that please?

Anyone else notice its 60 games in and Edler and Tanev are still playing? Shhh.

Even Eriksson, Pearson,Virtanen, Sutter, Beagle,Motte all had contributions.

Goal scoring spread out is how to win and win in the playoffs. It needs to come from every line. Its coming. Nice to keep pace with everyone else last night as well as beating that team. Nice to see we can compete.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Stech should stay. Why are they talking about trading him? Seriously. Don't we need more depth for playoffs? I would prefer him over Benn if we had to trade one. But why not just add Tryamkin? 

Fantenburg is awesome as our 5th

People don't see the Stech stuff away from the play...that guys will swipe at him and he strikes back.  Size isn't all that's needed and he's got a helluva lot of fight in him.  He is NOT easy to play against and works his tail off every single shift.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People don't see the Stech stuff away from the play...that guys will swipe at him and he strikes back.  Size isn't all that's needed and he's got a helluva lot of fight in him.  He is NOT easy to play against and works his tail off every single shift.

To be fair, players are usually trade bait because they're good.  Other teams don't want garbage.  That said, trading a dman makes little sense at this point.  If anyone is on the block, it's Roussel, imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2