The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller trade and the 1st round pick

Rate this topic

HOFsedins

Seems fair that the pick be for this year since the Canucks are in a playoff position.

Ultimately the league will probably rule on this unless by some miracle play actually resumes soon.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If it's a situation where the stadium will be empty anyways, why not just play the whole series in one building? Eliminates most of the travel for everyone. Give home team advantage (last change) per regular rules.

It's still a gate driven league.  Playoff revenue the owner keeps and not shared with the league.  I doubt FA would not want his fair share of $$ from a few games played at Rogers Arena.

EDIT:  Just realized you said empty stadium.  I don't think they will resume hockey if played in front of empty stadium.  Hockey will most likely resume once fans can be in attendance.

Edited by BPA

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

It's still a gate driven league.  Playoff revenue the owner keeps and not shared with the league.  I doubt FA would not want his fair share of $$ from a few games played at Rogers Arena.

EDIT:  Just realized you said empty stadium.  I don't think they will resume hockey if played in front of empty stadium.  Hockey will most likely resume once fans can be in attendance.

If it came to a situation where gatherings that large were still banned, the choice might be to get the TV revenue or nothing.

13 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just guessing, but if Vancouver was deemed to be in a playoff position at the time of outright cancellation, then they would have made the playoffs and would therefore lose the first round pick. That would seem logical to me. Other ideas? Anybody?

I don't believe there will be any satisfactory answer to this situation but this would be the most logical way to do it.

It would suck, to say the least but hey, Canuck luck; Right?

I just want the Miller trade to be completed and have no desire to see it drug out.

I must say though; Miller has been worth every piece of the deal.

• Upvote 1

League if lucky will get back playing in 3-4 weeks..

League would use winning percentage for final standings..

So 1.Vegas 2. Edmonton 3. Vancouver .. Star,Jets, flames, Nashville would play best of 3 to see who are wild cards...They had this on sportsnet last night..

My guess is the NHL will act as if this season didn't exist as far as conditional picks. I can't see a scenario where they pick and choose and rule on each pick. We are talking dozens of other conditional picks. It's a mess, but I cannot see how you can rule on each conditional trade, case by case, based on so many games yet to play. Simplest solution is to move it all ahead a year. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BPA said:

It is true that the owners don't pay players during the playoffs but they do not get to keep all of their gate receipts.
 National Hockey League

The new NHL CBA dictates that teams participating in the Stanley Cup playoffs contribute a flat 35 percent of gate receipts from home playoff games into the league's revenue sharing program.Apr 29, 2014

48 minutes ago, the grinder said:

it is simply a lottery protected pick  if the season is cancelled  and there is a lottery draft for all teams , it is still a lottery pick so the canucks have the right to retain or give up the pick, 

The NHL will declare the season null and void.

They will arbitrarily declare all conditional draft pick trades will be applied to teams for the 2020 draft.

They will conduct a lottery for all draft positions and every team gets equal odds as they did in 2005 where Pittsburgh got Crosby.

Vancouver will win the lottery and be awarded the 1st overall pick that will be gratefully accepted by New Jersey as they get all first overall picks.:bigblush:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The NHL will declare the season null and void.

They will arbitrarily declare all conditional draft pick trades will be applied to teams for the 2020 draft.

They will conduct a lottery for all draft positions and every team gets equal odds as they did in 2005 where Pittsburgh got Crosby.

Vancouver will win the lottery and be awarded the 1st overall pick that will be gratefully accepted by New Jersey as they get all first overall picks.:bigblush:

And Jersey will select a bustaroo like they did with their last two first overall picks!  

17 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

If the season is canceled the owners would have to come up with who qualified as a playoff team.  For the purposes of conditional picks, and more importantly draft positioning. The draft will still happen, so seeding will have to be determined.  We could technically make the playoffs, but not actually get to play in them.  

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the more likely scenario is the team will have the option of either giving up this years 1st rounder or next year 1st rounder.. i mean might as well give up this years since it's gonna be middle of the pack and unlikely lottery eligible.. unless we think the canucks all of a sudden is going to be a powerhouse and next years 1st is in the late 20s lol

17 hours ago, Rabbit said:

This is an interesting topic.

If no playoff this year, that is, Canucks could not get the playoff and keep the draft 2021, but loss 2022.

However, I guess finally there will be negotiation between two teams for Canucks keep which year's draft.

1. Yes, even if the season is completely cancelled, the players don't stop growing older. There will have to be a draft and the league will have to decide on a method for ranking the teams.

2. I think the obvious ranking approach will be to take winning percentage. On that basis, the Canucks would be in playoff position.

3. I don't think there is anything that stipulates what happens to conditional picks that depend on some outcome like "making the playoffs".

4. I am not sure why the Canucks would be given the option.  I think it is more likely, as Rabbit suggests, that the teams will be allowed to negotiate and see if they can agree on which season the pick applies to. If the teams fail to agree then the league would have to make the call. 

5. I think that the Canucks would probably prefer to keep the pick this year as they expect to be further up the standings next year.

6. Who knows what will happen with the pandemic, but if it comes under control, I think the NHL will try to get in a few games to equalize games played and then go ahead  with the playoffs-possibly a full version or possibly an abbreviated version depending on how much time is available.

7. Given the trajectory of the virus in China and South Korea and the move into spring (when the normal flu declines), my guess is that the NHL will get some version of the playoffs in this year.  But that is just a guess. Obviously there is a lot of uncertainty. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, this subject automatically swings around to the COVID-19 Virus, and when it might subside...……………..

Well, IMO, we can look at Italy, China, and South Korea for our answers as to when it will be safe for gatherings and sporting events...……...

They look to be months away still, and we are a month behind them...………….so that makes it June before there is any possibility for the start of the playoffs

then another 6 weeks of playoffs...……….so the winner of the cup finishes mid July to the start of August......best case scenario. Unless, it is some kind of Hybred

But honestly, it's all screwed up now anyways...……..I wonder how the Players Association feels about this? As for postponing picks 1 year, I don't think Ottawa 

or NYR's really want to see that....so there is arguments both ways...……..

Personally, it sucks because Benning paid big to get into the playoffs, so I think he would rather we loose our pick this year and get into the playoffs...……..

I bet this doesn't go away as fast as some are hoping...………..I hope I am wrong!

I think we’re out technically, right. We keep our pick NJ gets it next season. No problem. I’m a firm believer if we didn’t make the playoffs this year or next year something had to have gone wrong. I’m not too worried about it, I definitely think this year went a long way to pushing these kids. It’s a good draft this year anyway. We’ll be okay.

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think it could be quite a while before they allow thousands of people back into arenas, not sure we'll see hockey in the near future. I think this could be another 1919 where they don't award the Cup, no playoffs.  The 2020/21 regular season might also be "paused", we don't know. As for our 1st, I think they defer to next year (2021 Draft), but the Canucks will make the 2021/22 playoffs, and win. 

i think we only need to look at China

virus detected there in early december

now it is early march

they are just pulling out of the pandemic there

3 months tends to be the time necessary for a pandemic to cycle

not sure why anyone thinks the time required would be less

so realistically season might be in position to resume in june

can they just start up without any kind of a training camp?  preseason type warm up games ?

Too many variables but I'll take a stab at it:

1) If the season resumes to some degree and we have playoffs, then the pick is business as usual and nothing changes.

2) If we have no regular season and playoffs based on win %, I think the pick still goes to TBL/NJD 

3) If we have an abbreviated short playoffs and we're still in, I think the pick still goes

4) If we have the entire season cancelled then it's interesting, but I think we might have an option. Technically, the terms of the trade are "if the Canucks make the playoffs" then TBL get the pick. If there are no playoffs then technically we did not make the playoffs, so should keep the pick, which would be great because it is currently a 10th overall pick (probably 11 or 12th once win % factors in), but still a lottery pick. There might be an option for JB due to the circumstances to pass it up to next season or perhaps is a complete wash and we start over with next season as the first season again.

Personally I hope there are still some form of playoffs, ideally the regular season gets cancelled, all injured bodies get back and we get good quality hockey playoffs start in 1-2 months time and we give up the pick.

17 hours ago, rekker said:

My guess is the NHL will act as if this season didn't exist as far as conditional picks. I can't see a scenario where they pick and choose and rule on each pick. We are talking dozens of other conditional picks. It's a mess, but I cannot see how you can rule on each conditional trade, case by case, based on so many games yet to play. Simplest solution is to move it all ahead a year. 

Agreed.   If there are no playoffs- then every team that can argue that there were ...well - no playoffs.   

I guess it could go the other way too...but from a legal standpoint you could pick it apart pretty easily.  I don't think the Canucks should keep the pick anyways - too much uncertainty with next year with the contracts that are up and I'm not convinced we will ice a better team.  JB has a lot of work to do and some hard decisions ahead

Considering how long it took China to get a handle on this, and that the US seems to have missed the ball somewhat, a couple of months seems the best case scenario.   Guess we will have to wait and see. 

• Cheers 2