The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

I suspect these won't be like a regular rough and tumble playoff series. I'm thinking it might be more women's rules hockey. The "social distancing" playoffs.

This current version of the Canucks might do surprisingly well in something like that.

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

People acting like the Stanley Cup playoffs are some sacred religious experience. We've had lockout seasons. We've had seasons with 6 teams in the league. We've had seasons where rules changed. The two-line pass. Clutching and grabbing. The trapezoid. Equipment size. No touch icing. 

The game evolves/adapts. Will winning the Stanley Cup in 2019-2020 be different from years passed? Yes. Will it tarnish the meaning of the Cup? No. There should be no asterisk. 

Agree completely.  As long as whomever gets it from Bettman doesn't cough or sneeze on it?

Does he wear a mask and gloves?

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

with healthy Marky and BB, I think nux is deeper and will take the series.  

since there are no live fans, no one has true home ice ad even if all 5 games played in Rogers Arena for example.

The Nucks may have the advantage........they're used to playing in library conditions

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just as an aside here, man what a terrific player and example Koivu has been for the Wild. 

I have a lot of respect for him as a player. He could have played in any era due to his Canadian-style game. What a beauty.

He has been everything to that team that Horvat projects to be in Vancouver, if not more. Too bad his teams were in cap hell or crippled for most of his tenure. There always seemed to be some kind of disaster and their hands. 

I feel for the Wild fans like I do for Columbus and hope luck shines on them for a change. 

Mikko Koivu... pretty much an identical player to Kesler.  A strong 2-way forward that can be a SOB on the ice.

Hard to imagine that he's Saku's brother... the more prototypical relatively smaller, gentlemanly skilled player, lol.  

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Last word on this, because you have stated I’ve contradicted myself. 

Winning the Cup by starting at game 83? 

Insta-playoffs will be a battle of healthy rosters and what a battle it will be, sure, but there’s no way you can say it will be harder of a trophy to win than it traditionally is. 

You only have room to say that it’s equal opportunity.
Like having a 3 month pause after game 82 before the playoffs start so everyone is healthy and equal at the starting line. It’s not the same grind. 

The Ironman Race having a nice long sitting break after one leg, so everyone can catch their breath and start fresh? Not much Iron there.

Same difference with the Cup starting at game 60, or whatever, after a massive break. Its not the same grind, so yes, it’s not like winning the Cup is, traditionally. 

I think that might be the problem for some people, its not "traditional" enough. Well neither was a 48 game season. If you accept that season as being legit it makes no sense why a 69+5+regular playoffs would not be.

I also think the term "cheaters cup" isn't great. No one cheated. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

All of this raises an interesting question ... if we somehow did get into the final dance, even with equal opportunity, would fans be ok winning the Cup with the asterisk?

I throw this question out there because if we did manage to win the Cup this year, you know the media and all other fanbases would de-legitimize the win and say it wasn't a real Cup victory. Especially the Canucks. 

this is whats annoying about people dismissing this years cup run before the pucks dropped on it. There are all kinds of changes to the league over the years, did that make the cup runs less legit? To me 2012/13 is the perfect comparison, if thats legit then this years is too. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Playoff hockey.

This is where we can finally grade Benning’s “rebuild”. 

No whistles don’t favour the Canucks, but a fresh start into the playoffs sure does. 

After a few rounds (no whistles), I suspect kids like EP and especially QH to be severely banged up and ineffective. I’m always up for a pleasant surprise though. Prove me wrong, Canucks. 

Only one way to find out. Rightly or wrongly this is, what is needed for evaluation purposes.... also this is what any hockey player dreams of.

Edited by spook007

I’m excited about the prospect of this series. It would be close, but I could see the Canucks winning.  

Mind you, two things could help guarantee a win:

1) We wear our skate jerseys. Even Petey says it’s his favourite - let the Canucks play confidently by sporting those beauty sweaters; and,

2) Sign Tryamkin. He’s in Russia, picking his nose, contemplating whether to keep waiting on Canucks or rejoin KHL for training camp in a few weeks. He’d look incredible on a third pairing defense - which is currently the weakest spot in our lineup.

These two actions would guarantee us a win in the Wild series.

Edited by Slegr

12 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

All of this raises an interesting question ... if we somehow did get into the final dance, even with equal opportunity, would fans be ok winning the Cup with the asterisk?

I throw this question out there because if we did manage to win the Cup this year, you know the media and all other fanbases would de-legitimize the win and say it wasn't a real Cup victory. Especially the Canucks. 

The lack of support in 2011 should be enough for any Canuck fans not to worry about what other fans or media thinks, should the dream become reality....
if the league decides this is, what it takes to win the cup, then this is what is takes. 
Bring it on.....

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m excited about the prospect of this series. It would be close, but I could see the Canucks winning.  

Mind you, two things could help guarantee a win:

1) We wear our skate jerseys. Even Petey says it’s his favourite - let the Canucks play confidently by sporting those beauty sweaters; and,

2) Sign Tryamkin. He’s in Russia, picking his nose, contemplating whether to keep waiting on Canucks or rejoin KHL for training camp in a few weeks. He’d look incredible on a third pairing defense - which is currently the weakest spot in our lineup.

These two actions would guarantee us a win in the Wild series.

if it hasn't happened by now, it's not happening for this proposal, imo.

Let's keep this in mind that it's not necessarily about the Cup for us this season (although that doesn't mean we don't try). The goal is to give the young group some playoff experience and also to allow management to asset which players they feel they would like to continue on progressing with. Any playoff experience is great at this point as was likely the goal of the season. The further along we get is simply gravy for this season (let's not forget that for many here they were still talking about tanking prior to this season).

I think the teams that have to play their way in to face the top teams will have an advantage to those teams with a bye. This would almost be a mini preseason and coming off a "series" win could give them the advantage on the current top teams. Most rest in between playoff series is generally an advantage, but this is a long break and I don't think having more rest at this point in time is advantageous.

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Nvm the wild. Play in gets us the Avs. Those games have been fantastic the last two years. That would be fun series. 

If the Canucks get past the Wild then we might be able to get the jump on Colorado.  A play-in series against the Wild might be enough to shake off the rust.  We could catch the Avs before they manage to find their game.

If Vancouver is healthy are forward lines will compete with anyone... The defence might not.. Marky in net is solid...

Honest healthy team with late addition of Taffoli and Boeser back from injuries we have a very strong top 6 that will compete with anyone...

Not saying we will win the cup but we could go on a very long run....

Go Canucks Go

OP, once the players association release their endorsement of this playoff format, I propose that you edit the original post and make it a GDT. Would have a great chance of being the longest one in history. Lol. I am SOOO ready for hockey...

OK. But to make things completely fair, the teams that lose in the play-in round should be considered to NOT have made the playoffs and be entered into the draft lottery.

Enough with this $hitty tradition of rewarding the bottom feeders.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Can someone explain this "asterisk" thing to me? 

why exactly is this playoff round (if it happens) any less worthy of respect than many that came before it? there's a good argument it might be one of the hardest to win, everyone is healthy and will also be isolated from their normal lives, which also means few distractions. This might be one of the hardest fought cup runs ever. 

There sure ain't going to be an asterisk when the team and the players' names get etched onto the cup. 

• Cheers 2