The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Sorry; Virtanen does not have the highest upside.

Look, a great pick. Not questioning that. Wicked shot, lots of speed and having a full size NHL body / NHL athleticism at 17 there is almost no risk he wont make it. Most guys need to develop NHL speed (see Horvat), endurance (Ritchie), or size (see Nylander or Shinkaruk). Many have more upside, but also pose a risk (see Schroeder) where they might not make it at all?

But what you dont have is the slick puck possession and passing skills that give a guy 85 or 100 point potential.

None of the guys drafted in 2014 have that potential.

booth was on a trajectory to be a very good NHL player until richards took his head off. Jake i think has a better shot that booth and hopefully more willingness to work on his game. I think its a pretty fair comparison. If your comparing him to booth of the last 3 years then heck no. But booth predecapitation was on the way to be a solid top6 forward if not topline winger.

Virtanen is more likely to be delivering these type of hits than receiving. Big difference.

• Upvote 1

Sorry; Virtanen does not have the highest upside.

Look, a great pick. Not questioning that. Wicked shot, lots of speed and having a full size NHL body / NHL athleticism at 17 there is almost no risk he wont make it. Most guys need to develop NHL speed (see Horvat), endurance (Ritchie), or size (see Nylander or Shinkaruk). Many have more upside, but also pose a risk (see Schroeder) where they might not make it at all?

But what you dont have is the slick puck possession and passing skills that give a guy 85 or 100 point potential.

85-100 points nowadays is a superstar. I think virtanens ceiling is 40 goals and 30 helpers. So around 70 points in his prime which I'll gladly take if I'm right.
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen is more likely to be delivering these type of hits than receiving. Big difference.

I'm not liking the booth comparisons. Virtanens shot is already better and he is way meaner then the soft hearted Christian. The only things similar are they are both big and fast... Virtanen will be faster though as well.
  • Upvote 2

I don't see why people are getting their panties all up in a bunch over the Booth comparison. I think it holds some water, except Virtanen probably has a bit higher of a ceiling due to his physicality and wicked shot. David Booth pre concussion with Jake's shot and physicality would be one hell of a player. Any team in the league would be salivating over that type of player.

Probably because of how Booth played here. But the comparison is off because Booth didn't have the physicality or the shot.

Virtanen's already dropped em more often than Boothy at just 17yrs old.

Edited by BanTSN

85-100 points nowadays is a superstar. I think virtanens ceiling is 40 goals and 30 helpers. So around 70 points in his prime which I'll gladly take if I'm right.

Hey, Virtanen is an up and down player. And he can go through a lot of guys.

A Nylander or Reinhart can dangle, and use combinations of agility and explosive quickness to burn almost anyone guarding them. And add vision plus passing skills to potentially get 50 or 60 assists to go with similar goal projections to Virtanen. That's a higher ceiling!

Even if matched to more risk.

I think the Booth/Virtanen comparisons are good. They have identical builds and play a power game with a tonne of speed. Booth was our best hitter up front last season and he did score 31 goals in Florida.

I think the biggest thing lacking is playmaking ability in both players.

2008-2009 David Booth - 31 goals, 29 assists, 2nd on his team in points. 2nd amongst forwards in hits. I think this is what I would expect for Virtanen to put up in his prime. I don't see him as an 80 point player.

I think he has Iginla's physicality but more of Booths creativity currently. With the right development he could be an Iggy type player as long a he is able to play at pace without being rushed mentally. If the game can slow down for him as he improves we will see a great step forward in his game.

You can compare him to any speedy powerforward you want really.

He's gonna bring his own style and create his own identity though.

He's a mix of a alot of different players since he has different elements to his game.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

Probably because of how Booth played here. But the comparison is off because Booth didn't have the physicality or the shot.

Virtanen's already dropped em more often than Boothy at just 17yrs old.

Booth was actually pretty physical in his time here.

I see a lot of similarities between him and Kreider though, especially after watching the Rangers run to the final.

Both hit hard, have a solid shot, are very fast, and play a very north/south based game.

People fail to remember that Booth's shot was good up until he went to shit as a player overall.

Physically, they're not that far off either. Yeah, Virtanen has dropped the gloves more than Booth but he's not exactly a fighter either. They both like to throw their body around though and use their speed to their advantage in that sense.

Attribute-wise, they're actually really really similar. They both have similar strengths and weaknesses and like for like playing styles.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to admit that they're similar players. It's not like I'm saying that they'll turn out the same. Virtanen's mentality already looks a lot better than that of Booth's.

People fail to remember that Booth's shot was good up until he went to crap as a player overall.

Physically, they're not that far off either. Yeah, Virtanen has dropped the gloves more than Booth but he's not exactly a fighter either. They both like to throw their body around though and use their speed to their advantage in that sense.

Attribute-wise, they're actually really really similar. They both have similar strengths and weaknesses and like for like playing styles.

I don't understand why people are so reluctant to admit that they're similar players. It's not like I'm saying that they'll turn out the same. Virtanen's mentality already looks a lot better than that of Booth's.

I think we're prepared to let the comparison stage go and commence with the progression stage now.

Interesting insight. At the beginning of the video when the runner came up and told Benning "I'll bring you whichever jersey you tell me to bring you" "We'll see what he does here, alright?" (Referring to the fact that NYI haven't picked yet). Interesting to see that Benning says "Virtanen" right away even though, at the time, Dal Colle was still a possible pick..

• Upvote 2