The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Hi guys. Just wondered how Jake was doing and came across quite a bit of sentiment that the Canucks should have gone with Nylander. As I live in sweden I read an article by the sports editor of the largest paper in sweden just yesterday imploring people to get out and see this kid while they have the chance! He is on a bad team but putting up some numbers. And to make a small world smaller ; I am his systers teacher. She will win Wimbledon!

I sure hope you don't teach English :P

Didn't see the goal but I was driving and listening to the radio and the commentators were seriously pumping his tires, talking about how he was just flying out there. I'm guess he's having an awesome game.

Commentator: " I really believe Vancouver has something in this player." (something along those lines)

The goal was sick. Where are the Nylander sympathizers now?This guy can beat you so many different ways. Plus if he doesnt score he will run the goalie and be an intimidating presence. Cory Perry light.

The goal was sick. Where are the Nylander sympathizers now?This guy can beat you so many different ways. Plus if he doesnt score he will run the goalie and be an intimidating presence. Cory Perry light.

Following him playing in Sweden putting up over a point per game against pros. Do you have to bring it up every time Virtanen does something nice as if it's some sort of confirmation of victory, especially if you're annoyed at the sympathizers bringing him up when he's doing well? They're different players and it'll be a long time before we see who is the better player at the NHL level.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

I honestly loved this pick. I really like Virtanen's playing style.

Bonus point for being a B.C boy and his favourite team is the Vancouver Canucks.

However, countless of times he has mentioned that his favourite (Canuck) player was Naslund and he wore #19 for him during his junior Hockey career...Now that I see his favourite player is Toews and he wears #19 too...I'm wondering if it was for Toews now...LOL Or maybe it's just a coincidence? ...Whatever, I just hope he makes it to the team and play in Rogers Arena soon!

I honestly loved this pick. I really like Virtanen's playing style.

Bonus point for being a B.C boy and his favourite team is the Vancouver Canucks.

However, countless of times he has mentioned that his favourite (Canuck) player was Naslund and he wore #19 for him during his junior Hockey career...Now that I see his favourite player is Toews and he wears #19 too...I'm wondering if it was for Toews now...LOL Or maybe it's just a coincidence? ...Whatever, I just hope he makes it to the team and play in Rogers Arena soon!

He has also stated on occasion that his favourite player (and who he models his game after) is Rick Nash. Well, the Nash thing seemed to be more of a comparable than an outright "favourite player". He's probably using current players so everyone knows who he's talking about. It's sad to think that there are people who don't know "Naslund" but that's how things are now...

He has also stated on occasion that his favourite player (and who he models his game after) is Rick Nash. Well, the Nash thing seemed to be more of a comparable than an outright "favourite player". He's probably using current players so everyone knows who he's talking about. It's sad to think that there are people who don't know "Naslund" but that's how things are now...

Yeah, he mentioned more about his playing style is a lot like Rick Nash. I hope you're right about that and it is definitely sad. LOL

Guess the Canucks were looking for the best-looking player available this year..

I want to argue that the Canucks weren't looking for that...

But I can't deny that he's the best-looking. LOL

Edited by StarGirl

Oh men, I do not know, but all this things said about virt, how physical he is, how a much better or safer or faster a pick he is than ehlers or nylander. It is somehow over exajurating that it sounded as if you are saying this things to yourself- to convince your own ears that yes he is a better pick, your way of leaving peace in your mind. Though if you ask me Skill creates chances, A shooter is more of the accuracy or killer instinct.

Oh men, I do not know, but all this things said about virt, how physical he is, how a much better or safer or faster a pick he is than ehlers or nylander. It is somehow over exajurating that it sounded as if you are saying this things to yourself- to convince your own ears that yes he is a better pick, your way of leaving peace in your mind. Though if you ask me Skill creates chances, A shooter is more of the accuracy or killer instinct.

Wow.

BuretoMogilny?

• Upvote 1

Funny how your English skills dropped right off after you started posting here

I think it's time that a mod steps in here to settle the score.

This is getting ridiculous.

Any "SHOULDA DRAFTED EHLERS" or "SHOULDA DRAFTED NYLANDER" type post should result in something like a warning or a part-time ban. This is the Jake Virtanen thread, not that dreadful draft thread which was a complete argumentative sh*t show for three months. Now that the draft's over, people are now using this thread to ride Nylander and Ehelrs' coattails. If that "Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?" thread from 2009 has been inflated numerous times, a draft thread from a few months ago sure as hell can.

I hate coming to the CDC home page to see that somebody posted in the Virtanen topic, hoping that it's going to be an update about his play from Calgary or something like that, but then to my surprise (sarcasm), it's yet another claim that we drafted the wrong player.

I'm not trying to go all elvis15 on people here, but come on...

when you create your own discussion community you can incorporate those rules. If that time ever comes I'll be sure to join and not follow said rules.
  • Upvote 1

You're making Virtanen out to be a shoot-only guy with no ability to make plays. Which is wrong. Yes, he's more of a shoot first guy but that isn't to suggest he cannot help set up his teammates.

He made a play (relatively) recently where he skated down the left wing with speed. He was able to attract the attention of both defenseman and he used his peripheral vision to track Helgeson skating towards the front of the net. As he was skating around the net (still with everyone mesmerized by him) he backhanded the puck to the net-front area where Helgeson was able to tap in a goal.

There are many more players who finish with more assists than goals. If you have a guy who is exceptional at doing something that is perhaps lacking by other players, that sounds like a darn good complimentary piece to me.

• Upvote 1