The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Anyone seen ol’ @guntrix around???  I miss his refreshing views on Jake 

:bigblush:

Still here, never been one to shy away from a discussion.

Jake was part of the problem the last four years and was justifiably criticized for his play. This year he’s part of the solution, and I sincerely hope he can continue to produce at this pace for the rest of his career. Nonetheless, proclaiming this is the new permanent Jake after half a season is about as obtuse as Oilers fans claiming they had a Stanley Cup winning team 20 games into this season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Still here, never been one to shy away from a discussion.

Jake was part of the problem the last four years and was justifiably criticized for his play. This year he’s part of the solution, and I sincerely hope he can continue to produce at this pace for the rest of his career. Nonetheless, proclaiming this is the new permanent Jake after half a season is about as obtuse as Oilers fans claiming they had a Stanley Cup winning team 20 games into this season. 

IMHO He's been coming along fine for 2 and a half years now....it's just starting to come together for him more this year.  But I actually agree with you, I don't know if he'll keep up his current pace or not, he's on quite a tear right now.  AND if I'm honest, he's outperforming what I thought he was going to, it looks like something really clicked for him, hopefully he can keep it up!

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, guntrix said:

20ish goals is fine for guys like Wheeler, Voracek, Malkin and Backstrom because they put up 71, 46, 51 and 52 assists respectively... or 91, 66, 72 and 74 points respectively.That's top-six production.

20ish goals if it were to happen would not be top-six production for Virtanen if he's only putting up 10 assists. Assists and points is not "another separate conversation." You can't measure a fish by its ability to climb a tree. If you were to say that Virtanen's success shouldn't be measured by his production that'd be a fairer argument.

Haha..ok.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:14 AM, guntrix said:

Again, concluding that Jake will do well in the playoffs because of his attributes is nothing short of laughable for two main reasons:

1. Jake has historically lowered his performance in the playoffs, both in the AHL and WHL. This is measurable precedent, not projections, hopes and dreams. 

2. There are just as many examples of big players not performing in the playoffs. 

Basically, this is the equivalent of me assuming that Nylander would be good at surfing because of his hairstyle. 

The “playoff” and “powerforwards take longer to develop” myths need to finally die. I’m all for having constructive discussions, but not based on pure fantasies. 

Sure.

On 6/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, guntrix said:

Well it’s no secret that the same posters are defending the move tooth and nail.

Personally, I’m going to reserve on my concerns to wait and see what player the lightning end up drafting with our 1st round pick. That’ll give us a better idea on whether this was a mistake or not. 

Pretty bad take on the JT Miller trade.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, guntrix said:

Am I the only one who rates Hutton? The guy was the fittest he’s ever been in his career and barely missed a step playing 20+ mins near the end of last season. If he can build on that and eventually improve on the 25 points he showed in his rookie season, he can be a very solid top-4 defenseman.

Considering how people like to show unwavering support for our own draftees, which is logical, I’m surprised people aren’t more supportive of a player taken in the 5th round who’s developing the way Hutton is. That’s a feel-good story if I’ve ever seen one. 

Hutton is "just" a 3rd pairing D man. Nothing more. Pretty clear.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, guntrix said:

Don’t see many turning on Brock per say, but eventually we’re all going to have to bring up the elephant in the room; is Benning low-balling Boeser or is Boeser asking for too much. Given Benning’s signing history, I’m inclined to think the latter option is more probable. 

I’d like to think that Boeser’s keeping Horvat’s contract in mind and goes for something that’ll work for both parties. 

This was settled easily enough.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, guntrix said:

Let’s wait until we make the playoffs before we start with this rhetoric. 

I don’t care about popular opinions. Gaudette doesn’t deserve to go down. Waiver exemption is the only reason it’s him in Utica and not Virtanen. 

Lol.

Some of your takes are not good at all.  Lots of us have bad takes.

But posters that stake everything on their posts that they know more than everyone else end up looking foolish.

Virtanen is doing very well right now.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Umm yeah that was his knock coming out of the draft...a knock detailed by pro scouts as well as spectators. His lack of understanding early on and low point totals make this criticism warranted.  Remember it's in relation to draft position..nobody is saying Virtanen was midget house level. He is learning the game and putting his physical attributes to better use.  I said it last week and coach Green just said the same thing..we are seeing things from him we haven't seen before.  

never give up GIF

35 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha..ok.

Sure.

Pretty bad take on the JT Miller trade.

Hutton is "just" a 3rd pairing D man. Nothing more. Pretty clear.

This was settled easily enough.

Lol.

Some of your takes are not good at all.  Lots of us have bad takes.

But posters that stake everything on their posts that they know more than everyone else end up looking foolish.

Virtanen is doing very well right now.

Don’t understand how these are bad takes. 

1. The poster in question was solely using goals as a defining indicator for what constitutes top-six production, completely ignoring assists. Dude even shockingly used examples like Wheeler and Voracek. I wasn’t the only poster to point this out to him. 

2. Concluding that Jake will be a playoff beast just because of his attributes is crystal-balling for the reasons listed in that post.  

3. Not sure what’s wrong with wanting to see what comes of our 1st round pick to fully gauge the trade. 

4. If Hutton can consistently play at the level he performed at the end of last season, he has the potential to supersede a 3rd pairing role. Note potential. 

5. I’ll cede this one.

6. At the beginning of the season, based on performance alone, Gaudette had much more merit for staying on the team than Jake. Tell me I’m wrong. 

I’ve never said I know “more than everyone else.” I’ve just never been afraid to voice my opinion. Yes, Jake is doing well now, but that wasn’t the case before. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

Don’t understand how these are bad takes. 

1. The poster in question was solely using goals as a defining indicator for what constitutes top-six production, completely ignoring assists. Dude even shockingly used examples like Wheeler and Voracek. I wasn’t the only poster to point this out to him. 

2. Concluding that Jake will be a playoff beast just because of his attributes is crystal-balling for the reasons listed in that post.  

3. Not sure what’s wrong with wanting to see what comes of our 1st round pick to fully gauge the trade. 

4. If Hutton can consistently play at the level he performed at the end of last season, he has the potential to supersede a 3rd pairing role. Note potential. 

5. I’ll cede this one.

6. At the beginning of the season, based on performance alone, Gaudette had much more merit for staying on the team than Jake. Tell me I’m wrong. 

I’ve never said I know “more than everyone else.” I’ve just never been afraid to voice my opinion. Yes, Jake is doing well now, but that wasn’t the case before. 

I mean, I disagree with your assume negative until proven positive notions but you bring up solid points.

Just try to add a dash of optimism to your scrutiny

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

DUDE IS SMELLING THAT RFA MONEY :bigblush::emot-parrot:

It was a fantastic shot regardless of his motivation, we have to keep this kid hungry. I imagine, and hope, that being a hometown kid is motivation enough though. He's really coming into his own it seems, with a few things he can work on still of course.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, 250Integra said:

About 1200 pages later, Jake is finally looking like a top six forward. Well worth the wait.

I was one of those that was wrong about him. That said I also said this season would be his last chance to prove himself and I am glad he's taken some huge strides this year. 

It's still too early to call him a top 6 forward since this could just be his career year. But I think I am comfortable enough to say he's a legit NHL player. 

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I was one of those that was wrong about him. That said I also said this season would be his last chance to prove himself and I am glad he's taken some huge strides this year. 

It's still too early to call him a top 6 forward since this could just be his career year. But I think I am comfortable enough to say he's a legit NHL player. 

He took the step last year, people just didn't want to see it.  He was on a near 20 goal pace over 82 games last year........all while playing 10 mins a night with Sutter and Beagle

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think Jake has 6 or 7 GWG this season.  Does anyone know off hand how that rates on the team and in the league?

Jake has 6 GWG this year, one ahead of some guy named Pettersson! :lol:

He's tied for 3rd in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah cause this page is loaded with quotes of me saying "I was right"..  stop acting like you don't enjoy my contributions  when you and others are continuously trying to get my attention. 

The kid was hot garbage for more than 4 year, get over it, I was accurate enough. 

Is Tanner Pearson and elite first line player now too or something?  Wheres his love?  I'm guessing nowhere cause he's not the favorited local boy?  Weird.

Why do you start an argument with every post you write, especially on this thread. Last I checked, it's about Jake. He's progressing, which as I recall a lot of us were hoping for (maybe not you????) last year. He's starting to show why he has taken so high up in his draft, let's hope this trajectory continues and leave it at that. If we make the playoffs this year, he along with Ferland ( if healthy) will be very important.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1