The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I kind of hope so, but only if he goes to another division, But I wonder if this is just Green trying to teach Jake a lesson (again for the 100th time) by giving him a time-out. 

I honestly dont care either way. Hes not hurting the team. Not helping the team. I doubt he'll help or hurt another team, whether its florida or Calgary.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I honestly dont care either way. Hes not hurting the team. Not helping the team. I doubt he'll help or hurt another team, whether its florida or Calgary.

True, he's not expensive like some players, and young enough that he might still one day do something. Who knows, could be during the payoffs one of these years when Jake suddenly wakes up and goes on a tear to help us win. That would be sweet and make it all worth while ::D.

• Cheers 1

That guy said something about Bennett being buried in the Lames lineup, and perhaps breaking out on a new team, similar to Karlsson before he ended up in Vegas. Maybe. But the reality is, and same is true with Jake, they both have had numerous opportunities to earn their spot. And that's the key for any of these players - earning your spot. What's Sam's excuse? What these two guys need to do is study and apply the work ethic of Motte, Hoglander, and guys like Miller, Horvat, Petey, Brock, etc. It's a 'show-me world', and the fact that these guys are blowing it, that's obviously on them. 

It's theirs for the taking.

• Cheers 1

On 1/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, bbllpp said:

Noticed Jake about to make two big hits that the camera missed as it followed the puck.  A lot of the physical game happens off camera.

I like this line, having Big Mack as an effective forechecker gives the line more options

Jake may not be filling the net but he’s not hurting the team either 

I think he can contribute to the team. People on here need to get over the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round, top ten pick. He'll never live up to that draft position, we get it. But I think he can still be a useful player. He doesn't score as much as us fans want him to, but I think he's not hurting the team like he was in years past either. 

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

That guy said something about Bennett being buried in the Lames lineup, and perhaps breaking out on a new team, similar to Karlsson before he ended up in Vegas. Maybe. But the reality is, and same is true with Jake, they both have had numerous opportunities to earn their spot. And that's the key for any of these players - earning your spot. What's Sam's excuse? What these two guys need to do is study and apply the work ethic of Motte, Hoglander, and guys like Miller, Horvat, Petey, Brock, etc. It's a 'show-me world', and the fact that these guys are blowing it, that's obviously on them. 

It's theirs for the taking.

It's true that Virtanen's work ethic isn't very good. If he can put the work in, and put the damn effort in consistently, he would be one hell of a player

Unfortunately, everyone who has predicted that the arrivals of Höglander and Podkolzin may drive Jake further down the line up, and eventually be the odd man out. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

It's true that Virtanen's work ethic isn't very good. If he can put the work in, and put the damn effort in consistently, he would be one hell of a player

Unfortunately, everyone who has predicted that the arrivals of Höglander and Podkolzin may drive Jake further down the line up, and eventually be the odd man out. 

Fair enough, but my point is/was is, what's true of Jake is also true of Bennett. My point has nothing to do with Hoglander or Podkolzin. It's all on Jake and Bennett. Are they willing to step up to the plate?

10 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Fair enough, but my point is/was is, what's true of Jake is also true of Bennett. My point has nothing to do with Hoglander or Podkolzin. It's all on Jake and Bennett. Are they willing to step up to the plate?

I'm not sure if a change of scenery will help Bennett. I'm not sure it'll help Jake either. Work ethic doesn't change simply because your environment changes. Work ethic really has to do more with character than it does scene. But I suppose some players need a change of scenery to benefit. I think for Virtanen, it may be that he's just distracted with friends, and familiarity, and he's just settled. He's made it to the NHL. What more is there to do? Maybe that's his thought process? like "hey, what more do you want from me. I got drafted in the first round. I've now signed a mult-million dollar deal, and I'm an NHL player." 

What would Bennett bring that Jake hasn't or doesn't this season so far? 

EDIT: What's more concerning for me is that Bennett's career high is 36 points, and he has regressed every season since then. Jake has improved, even if it's slight improvements over the years since he's been drafted. The trend for Bennett isn't great. Virtanen is still, it seems to me, progressing, even if the progression is ever so slight, he's moving in the right direction as opposed to Bennett who's moving the other way

Edited by N4ZZY

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not sure if a change of scenery will help Bennett. I'm not sure it'll help Jake either. Work ethic doesn't change simply because your environment changes. Work ethic really has to do more with character than it does scene. But I suppose some players need a change of scenery to benefit. I think for Virtanen, it may be that he's just distracted with friends, and familiarity, and he's just settled. He's made it to the NHL. What more is there to do? Maybe that's his thought process? like "hey, what more do you want from me. I got drafted in the first round. I've now signed a mult-million dollar deal, and I'm an NHL player." 

What would Bennett bring that Jake hasn't or doesn't this season so far? 

EDIT: What's more concerning for me is that Bennett's career high is 36 points, and he has regressed every season since then. Jake has improved, even if it's slight improvements over the years since he's been drafted. The trend for Bennett isn't great. Virtanen is still, it seems to me, progressing, even if the progression is ever so slight, he's moving in the right direction as opposed to Bennett who's moving the other way

What are you writing a book about? My point was they both have to take responsibility for who they become as players. Move on.

Gaudette had a better game last game but wasn't great this game.

Virtanen had a better game this game.

Both these players struggle with consistency. The spots are there for bottom 6 roles long term. Which ever guys that step up out of Mac/Gaud/Virtanen and eventually Hawryluk will secure them. Once Pod comes room will have to be made. You don't want to be on the outside looking in at that point.

Good game for Jake now isn't 2 goals, it's 2 hits. We need to lower our expectations of him.

Gaudette was brutal tonight but fair play to his character for going out in a couple of shifts, taking the puck and just going straight through Montreal to score. I just don't see that level of determination in Jake.

Virtanen had some nice cycles and hits but that's about it, that's 4th liner territory he's in now and I don't see him breaking out of it to be honest. He was scoring at a 20 goal pace last season but like most of the team looks like he's regressed. On a team which plays such a high risk offensive style, he should be doing much better.

You can bet if the Canucks miss the playoffs JB is going to make lots of changes, starting with JV (and probably ending with the coaches).

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Good game for Jake now isn't 2 goals, it's 2 hits. We need to lower our expectations of him.

Gaudette was brutal tonight but fair play to his character for going out in a couple of shifts, taking the puck and just going straight through Montreal to score. I just don't see that level of determination in Jake.

Virtanen had some nice cycles and hits but that's about it, that's 4th liner territory he's in now and I don't see him breaking out of it to be honest. He was scoring at a 20 goal pace last season but like most of the team looks like he's regressed. On a team which plays such a high risk offensive style, he should be doing much better.

You can bet if the Canucks miss the playoffs JB is going to make lots of changes, starting with JV (and probably ending with the coaches).

To be honest, at least Jake plays better D than Gauds. And for hits and shots, no one said a good game for him is two goals. For him, a good game has always been, hit a ton, shoot a lot, play good d which would eventually lead to goals. He has done that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

To be honest, at least Jake plays better D than Gauds. And for hits and shots, no one said a good game for him is two goals. For him, a good game has always been, hit a ton, shoot a lot, play good d which would eventually lead to goals. He has done that. 

To be fair, Gaud has played in way fewer NHL games than Jake.  He hasn't had the opportunities to learn the defensive game (at the NHL level) as Jake has.  He was pretty much all offence in his college years.

Regardless, I suspect that in the coming years, both these players may be passed by at some point. 

I was a very loyal Jake defender up until this season. I'm beyond frustrated with him and wouldn't be upset if we moved him along right now.

Even if we lose overall long term value and simply get some help for this season.  Hoping Jim can get more of course but I wouldn't be totally bent out of shape over it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

^ This my post from 2017

^ This is my post a few weeks ago.

I hear you bro. I've supported this guy since his draft year.

He's in his 7th Pro Season.

When you've been called out publicly by coaches a few years in a row at training camps, then the GM calls you out for your poor playoff performance. 

This was the season to come out of the gates flying if ever.  Instead he needs another reset just 10 games into his 7th Pro Season...

7 years of dreaming he'll mature when he clearly isn't putting in the effort or getting the hockey IQ part of it either. I'm not seeing it anymore. (No PP or PK skills either). 

The babying him along was fine if he was showing or is still showing signs of a top 6 player. His 3rd line status is pretty much disappearing. So it's definitely not worthy of a 4th liner to be babied along at this point if he is even worthy of that roll in the future.

7+ years to develop a 4th liner making 2.5 Million still needing a timeout from his coaches like a child. 

Enough is enough. 

:towel:

Sure buddy

10 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

^ This my post from 2017

^ This is my post a few weeks ago.

I hear you bro. I've supported this guy since his draft year.

He's in his 7th Pro Season.

When you've been called out publicly by coaches a few years in a row at training camps, then the GM calls you out for your poor playoff performance. 

This was the season to come out of the gates flying if ever.  Instead he needs another reset just 10 games into his 7th Pro Season...

7 years of dreaming he'll mature when he clearly isn't putting in the effort or getting the hockey IQ part of it either. I'm not seeing it anymore. (No PP or PK skills either). 

The babying him along was fine if he was showing or is still showing signs of a top 6 player. His 3rd line status is pretty much disappearing. So it's definitely not worthy of a 4th liner to be babied along at this point if he is even worthy of that roll in the future.

7+ years to develop a 4th liner making 2.5 Million still needing a timeout from his coaches like a child. 

Enough is enough. 

:towel:

I don't understand Jake. Like, what is it with him? Is it entitlement? He's got all the skills and God given ability to be a top player in the league, at the very least a middling of the pack player in the league, if he can just put some goddamn effort when he's on the ice. 

Play like you &^@#ing care about your future. 

• Cheers 1

Fans for what ever reason have been inclined to listen to the hype and media and that's OK. Too many simply don't believe what their own eyes are telling them and that's OK, we're fans. The greatest problem is management has taken way, way, to long to man up and make the chnages that are needed. Now we have a player worth very little, few other GM's have an apatite for JV. He's not only unable to live up to expectations but we've compounded the problem by management falling into the ostrich syndrome, a wasted asset