The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

The problem is, aside from Jake just not being very smart, is that when Jake was drafted, the Canucks had zilch as far as real good prospects (him and Horvat?). Of course, they wanted to get him in the lineup as soon as possible to hopefully improve the team and appease the fans. That was a mistake IMO. They ended up having to send him back to Utica for more development. I think what we see in Jake is what he'll be. How much development does this guy need to be an impactful player? Nevermind a power forward. 

I wanna see him in the context of the playoffs before I go writing his value to this team off. Is he still valuable as a 4th liner with speed and good puck retriever skills? Yes, absolutely. It is, however, definitely frustrating not to see the noticeable progression from year to year that we were all expecting to occur. No sense sending him down and losing him to waivers or trading him at this point imo. Kid probably needs a good woman to make him into a mature professional adult. 

44 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I wanna see him in the context of the playoffs before I go writing his value to this team off. Is he still valuable as a 4th liner with speed and good puck retriever skills? Yes, absolutely. It is, however, definitely frustrating not to see the noticeable progression from year to year that we were all expecting to occur. No sense sending him down and losing him to waivers or trading him at this point imo. Kid probably needs a good woman to make him into a mature professional adult. 

I thought he had one, I swear he wore lady pants in that golf video.

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

AG and Jake are the same age and everyone thinks he can still get better.  Isn't Jake able to get better too?  Jake is a better defensive player, Bigger and stronger and faster.  Jake was drafted in the first and Adam in the fifth but who expected Jake to be more than a middle 6 winger?  I have always thought people have expected that he would be more than what he is.

The people that drafted him at 6 overall. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Get real canuck fans said:

Seems like the Hitmen, Comets and Canucks all messed up his development? Or has it just been Jake has always been the problem.  

People keep referencing Bertuzzi and Neely as to what can happen for a “power forward” in their mid 20s but Bert and Neely were in a different era where was lots of hooking and holding and smurf defencemen were almost non existent. Both Tkachuks, Mathews,Dubois are all a couple years younger than Jake and are light years ahead of Jake. 

Sure he gets a lot of takeaways but he can’t do squat with it after he gets it. Motte,Eriksson and Jake were the highest on the plus side of giveaway/takeaways so not exactly elite company. 

Those who always reference Bertuzzi and Neely are just cherry picking them for their argument. 

Power forwards actually develop early and are usually well established by age 24-25.  Those that are unable to be effective ends up being "role players", bounce around to multiple teams who are hoping to "unlock their potential", or just out of the NHL altogether.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I just think that Jake is going to be a 3rd line winger who will get 18 to 24 goals and 35 or 40 points.  We all know about the tool box being full with speed physicality and hard shot.  It is sad that Jake has become such a lightening rod as I still think there is a solid 3rd liner there.  Listening to guys talk about how Jake isn't smart or has a commitment issues with training and weight.  Do you know Jake personally?  There have been many players that struggle keeping weight off because his body type.  Dustin Byflen has struggled with this over the years  I think this is why Green told people to not make a big deal about it.  I am a Jake fan but I didn't think he would be a 1st line winger.  I figure a 2nd or 3rd liner was what we were getting in Jake so I guess he is what I expected him to be.  also, after the draft I really don't thing about what round they were picked in any more.  They're in our prospect pool now so we will just see what rises to the top.  Having to predict what a player is at 17 is a crap shoot that no one has mastered.  Should Jake have been drafted 6th or maybe 10th or 12th? Maybe but we all know there are 1st rounders that don't make it and there are 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounders that do.  Maybe forget when Jake was drafted and remember that he has improved each year and I expect him to again this year.

Does Benning overvalue Virtanen? Could that be mostly because Jake was his first ever draft pick with VAN? I wonder if a deal could be made with TOR, they will need some grit once they get to the playoffs. They don't have much. What about Sandin in exchange?

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does Benning overvalue Virtanen? Could that be mostly because Jake was his first ever draft pick with VAN? I wonder if a deal could be made with TOR, they will need some grit once they get to the playoffs. They don't have much. What about Sandin in exchange?

The laughs have no D depth. They won't trade Sandin.

15 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Those who always reference Bertuzzi and Neely are just cherry picking them for their argument. 

Power forwards actually develop early and are usually well established by age 24-25.  Those that are unable to be effective ends up being "role players", bounce around to multiple teams who are hoping to "unlock their potential", or just out of the NHL altogether.  

it took the sedins 5 years before they figured it out   . this is jakes last year to really figure it out and smarten up  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

They tried him and Gaudette on the PK today in practice.  

Finally.  I was starting to wonder if TG was too old school (stuck in his ways) even for a younger coach.  Let the kids play and let em learn.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, the grinder said:

it took the sedins 5 years before they figured it out   . this is jakes last year to really figure it out and smarten up  

IIRC, the Sedins took a bit longer because they admitted that they didn't really "train properly".  It was either a clip I saw on TV or an interview on the radio.... anyways, that they spent most of the off-season just playing soccer and keeping active, thus they didn't really improve until like 4+ years in when they finally decided to do those power skating, strength training and stuff.  

For JV.... he's already big and skates fast.  He just needs to actually go above and beyond, and to be committed to being a professional.  He needs to understand that he can't just skate down the wing and score off the rush... only a handful of players can do that... OV, MacKinnon, McDavid, Pettersson, etc.  

If Virtanen just forecheck the way Hansen does and bum around the net like Burrows for tips/rebounds, he would easily be a top-6 player.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

IIRC, the Sedins took a bit longer because they admitted that they didn't really "train properly".  It was either a clip I saw on TV or an interview on the radio.... anyways, that they spent most of the off-season just playing soccer and keeping active, thus they didn't really improve until like 4+ years in when they finally decided to do those power skating, strength training and stuff.  

For JV.... he's already big and skates fast.  He just needs to actually go above and beyond, and to be committed to being a professional.  He needs to understand that he can't just skate down the wing and score off the rush... only a handful of players can do that... OV, MacKinnon, McDavid, Pettersson, etc.  

If Virtanen just forecheck the way Hansen does and bum around the net like Burrows for tips/rebounds, he would easily be a top-6 player.  

That  also assumes that a player has drive to be able to do all the things you've mentioned. A part of me thinks that Virtanen hasn't "matured" yet...I'm not sure what it is. Maybe being at home instills that? dunno...

I am really hoping that he breaks out this year. I'm rooting for him. But like Green says, it's up to the player. 

Jake waking up and "getting it" will be him finally working hard enough to be a serviceable 3rd liner that can dept to second line for very short stints.

He was always going to be high floor, low ceiling. Anyone expecting him to turn into bert or neely? Man I wish you were right but if he were drafted by any other team I am sure you all would be feeling he was a bust as a high pick.

that doesn't mean we shouldn't support him as a decent bottom six player. It's not his fault our goofy management drafted him where they did. That's where the fault lies.

This is just a subjective statement but I get the feeling that JV is a kid that only starts to get it when $&!# hits the fan. $&!# hitting the fan would be him being benched, playing 5 minutes a game. 

Will his mental game and confidence be destroyed? Absolutely. And this may sound ridiculous, but JV seems like the type of guy that needs to hit rock-bottom before he can self-reflect and improve and be the third-line winger he can be and not the 1st line winger he wishes he can be.

1 minute ago, runtzguy said:

This is just a subjective statement but I get the feeling that JV is a kid that only starts to get it when $&!# hits the fan. $&!# hitting the fan would be him being benched, playing 5 minutes a game. 

Will his mental game and confidence be destroyed? Absolutely. And this may sound ridiculous, but JV seems like the type of guy that needs to hit rock-bottom before he can self-reflect and improve and be the third-line winger he can be and not the 1st line winger he wishes he can be.

That's Kassian more than Jake. All Virtanen and Goldobin are missing is finish. If they could consistently score 20 they'd both make the top 6.