The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

17 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

Alright folks..

What is the verdict? Is this the year for him?

I'd say if he doesn't hit 20 goals and 40-45 points to let him go next year. He is going to ask for too much money.

Thoughts? Flame away as well as I know some of you will

It's his year IMO.

He will hit 40-45 points.

I suspect Virtanen gets at least half this year before trade becomes a real possibility.  I think trade "rumours" right now are BS.

He's still got upside but it's starting to wane if he doesn't break through soon. I'd say by Christmas well know what his year is looking like. Then we'll see what the team does with him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Going back five years to find a post that turned out to be wrong 1,500 days later?

Wow...you are brilliant!!

:picard:

I didn’t go back five years.   This thread had already been bumped up.   I just saw the post.   Get a sense of humor for Christ sakes.   It’s called ribbing.    Everyone on here makes mistakes, including me.   Learn to laugh at oneself and life becomes much better.  :facepalm:

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I didn’t go back five years.   This thread had already been bumped up.   I just saw the post.   Get a sense of humor for Christ sakes.   It’s called ribbing.    Everyone on here makes mistakes, including me.   Learn to laugh at oneself and life becomes much better.  :facepalm:

I can tell you enjoyed the room when you played.  Lots of posters here never even sniffed an old hockey glove let alone been in a room.  Room ribbing doesn’t go over well with the video game crowd.  Try some mouse humour.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Has Jake ever had an NHL fight? 

Try this thing called google on the interwebs!!

In literally 3 seconds using THE google I found Virtanen has had 8 NHL fights.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/17971

Edit: corrected by AJ....two.  Thanks!  I don't see that others posters whines lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

In literally 3 seconds you made yourself look like a complete ass.

8 NHL fights?  Try again bud

It's an easy enough mistake to make. You'd think Hockey Fights would separate out CHL from NHL fights in some way.

Two NHL fights, for anyone wondering, both back in 2015-16.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

my 2 cents:

jake put himself behind the 8 ball not coming into camp in tip top shape.  The style of play Green wants to see out of JV requires it.  

That being said, I predict once Jake gets his conditioning up to speed, and I think the coaching staff WILL put him through the ringer to get there, we will see a more impactful Jake.

Im still rooting for the kid.  Dont let me or yourself down Jake

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Try this thing called google on the interwebs!!

In literally 3 seconds using THE google I found Virtanen has had 8 NHL fights.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/17971

Why? you just did for me. Lighten up. Have a great day. For if this was your biggest irritant of the day you've got it good. 

Again have a fantastic day. Thankyou for pointing out my shortfalls. I've gotten that here on more than one occasion. 

8 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

my 2 cents:

jake put himself behind the 8 ball not coming into camp in tip top shape.  The style of play Green wants to see out of JV requires it.  

That being said, I predict once Jake gets his conditioning up to speed, and I think the coaching staff WILL put him through the ringer to get there, we will see a more impactful Jake.

Im still rooting for the kid.  Dont let me or yourself down Jake

Yup, I see a lot of 'stick' in his near future and not a lot of 'carrot'.

• Cheers 2

On 9/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

.....Because Sheldon Ferguson is the same as the canucks greats. :picard:

Just because you are a nobody doesn’t mean the rest of us are. Here’s another kick to the nuts. Another buddy of mine is the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks. 

An appeal to authority, haven't seen one of these since yesterday. :P

42 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I have been a huge JV supporter his entire career, and always felt the best was yet to come with him as a Canuck. while I still do, I can also say that I'm very disappointed in Virt this year. Was expecting him to at least look like he cared about making this team. 

Thought he would build on his last season, where he finally showed flashes of promise . But Jv letting us all down again, his time with the team is coming to a close I think

• Cheers 1

That's the conundrum for me. Jake had a good exit interview from what I've heard. Green was very clear about what he wanted Jake to work on, but then he comes to camp out of shape. This isn't his first rodeo, he should know better.

I wonder, does Jake hang out with team mates? I hear about Pettersson and Boeser going shopping, or Boeser going to Stecher's place to see his new dog, or Horvat hanging out with old Knights friends and Baertschi, etc. Jake could have some bad influences. I was a big Virtanen supporter before (I even have his jersey), but a change of scenery might be what it takes for Jake to wake up and be a professional. I just hope Benning gets a good return.  

• Upvote 1