The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Yung1 said:

I really don't like using this kind of logic to determine which line a player is capable of playing on. It totally ignores the fact that half the teams don't make the playoffs and thus do not have capable players playing on appropriate lines.

If we were to use this logic, the correct way to do it is to say that the top 15 players for each position statistically are capable 1st line players. Anyone below is theoretically not a 1st line player on a playoff team, for example.

Exactly it’s like saying they’re 31 number 1 goalies in the league because there are 31 NHL teams.  We all know that not every team has an actual #1 goalie.

So it doesn’t make sense to try taking the number 40th ranked goalie, comparing him to the 31st ranked and then claiming that the 40th ranked guy is basically a #1 goalie because his stats are close. 

Add in the fact players move up and down the line up, players can move from left wing to right wing to center.  For example, cap friendly list Goldy as only LW, but Goldy plays both wings and is listed on NHL.com, hockey DB and even canucks.com as a RW.  

But…if you keep him as a LW and use the same flawed logic that was done with jake. Well.....Goldobin amongst all LW according to cap geek.

70th in all points

44th  in points per game

63rd in points per game

23rd overall in best cost per point

15th overall in best cost per assist

So it goldy a top 6 winger? No. Heck we’re debating if he’s waiver bait or not. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

McDavid and draisaitl were both top 5 in scoring league wide so idk what you're talking about there.

EP was 26th in PPG amongst centers and was on a non-playoff team, which proves my point.

Hey!

Don't you dare use stats, to prove your point!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

I was watching a video of Canucks fans celebrating during our 2011 run and guess who I see... 

a baby faced Virtanen walking into the shot haha 

F097957E-2093-4787-BB4A-2F435633B2D1.thumb.png.b8741ec0450dfb144cd2cf7513183d7b.pngBA54C6F1-FDAC-4FCF-89EF-7A1A2D18F694.thumb.png.bad5e2aa46c2e14a7114088b1ea1ac93.pngA72F5DA7-B487-4232-9B21-BC2F8FA31671.thumb.png.55fc3f23ee766f21898fc38afa72dc14.png

1627CD2B-AB72-4E47-91D2-3653AD1653F9.png

Sorry, but I call fake news.  If this is supposed to be Abbotsford, where are the horses and buggies?  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

Alright folks..

What is the verdict? Is this the year for him?

I'd say if he doesn't hit 20 goals and 40-45 points to let him go next year. He is going to ask for too much money.

Thoughts? Flame away as well as I know some of you will

Well, now that you said that, I'm not going to.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

Alright folks..

I'd say if he doesn't hit 20 goals and 40-45 points to let him go next year. He is going to ask for too much money.

Why do you think he is going to ask for too much money ?  And why do you think he has any leverage as an RFA next year ? "Let him go" is an extreme waste of assets

His cap-hit is a reasonable 1.25 million for what he brings to the table. Of course we expect and want more production out of him as a 6th overall pick that is physically gifted with high potential, but with him being born in 1996 he still has time to figure it out imo

and since this thread is kind of redundant with the other Jake Virtanen hate thread... I just found this eye popping list of top agents to share, Jakes agents is #12

https://puckpedia.com/agents

Pat Brisson must be loaddded with all these contracts under his belt $1 billion total value, $172 AAV worth of contracts 

1 Pat Brisson
CAA Sports LLC
51 $1,042,207,495 $172,294,165 
Edited by Chicken.

Really hoping that Jake has a great start to the year, and see if he can battle through his consistency issues. One of many concerns, I am sure. 

Must be really hard being a local and being a Canuck. Perhaps the reason for why some local born BC players never actually come back to play for their hometown.

With that being said, C'MON JAKE!!!

10 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

Alright folks..

I think Jake can definitely get 35 points this season...maybe 40 points if he can stay healthy, and semi-consistent. 

If he drops off like he did last year, then i think maybe a little more than the 25 points he produced this past season. 

And no, I don't think he will be asking for "too much money" - he's not going to be hard to negotiate with, because he really hasn't produced offensively...yet. 

11 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

Alright folks..

Guess you'll have to wait until the season is over.

11 hours ago, bobo1763 said:

He's going to ask for too much money based on what exactly?

• Haha 1