The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I think the biggest thing he needs to learn is that hockey, as a career, is a 365 day job.

Maintaining peak physical shape and making sure he shows up to camp and every game physically and mentally ready is his responsibility to himself, his team, and the fans.

The thing I don't get is why he doesn't play the game that got him drafted more consistently. Hard hitting, physical hockey. Of course this comes with it's share of scrums and face washes but no ones asking him to fight (it's not his thing). He simply needs to be an aggressive player.

When he plays that game, he's proven he can be a beast. If he played that game, no one would even be discussing him as a trade possibility.

Hopefully, he will, soon, begin to start maturing mentally and embracing the gifts he was born with to become what we all hope he will.

My Friend calls him Baby Huey,- Big, Immature, and  dim witted (Had to look him 1st time he called him that lol)

I think he is a decent frustrating player, but won't achieve his full potential while in Vancouver at least

To answer your underlined comment

Maybe he has found everyone else has "grown up" and can hit hard or fight now, and he isn't the biggest guy on the pond anymore, and isn't one who likes to take what he dished out and has stopped the consistent hard physical hits ?

With his speed he should be able to get on them fast to make hits legal, or have the guys cough up the puck in fear, he could be a dangerous player if he committed to it, without being a fighter

I thought being in the bubble and away from friends, this might have been the perfect coming out party for him, but i think he is what he is and maybe wants to be a Boeser or Miller than a hard nosed scary role player?

Maybe tonight he will become "that" player with the full effort ;)

image.thumb.png.57c0c9a579cae8694553c89a25582af9.png

0 pts in 7 playoff games is a bad look for Jake, who has apparently become much better offensively this season. Hopefully he has a strong showing in Games 5 and 6, but his laziness and lack of hockey IQ has been really put up front in these playoffs.

Edited by Darkstar

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

I appreciate what you're saying. However, it really isn't just our stars. Virtually every other player on the team is giving it all right now. The last game we collectively eased up somewhat but I think that is due to physical situations of being worn down by the Wild and now Blues as opposed to effort.

You can absolutely tell Jake is not giving it his all. As others have suggested, perhaps he is scared of taking a penalty - which is fair, but the rest of the team is too. A lot is at stake. 

These playoffs aside, Jake does appear to be improving as the years roll by but it is a slow process. He is nowhere where we need him to be from a playoff perspective and we are looking to be contenders pretty quickly here. Can we afford another no-show series to see or are we better putting in another guy who will give it 100%? We know Podkolzin will, and I believe his skillset is already probably fairly close to what we get out of Jake.

Thank you for your opinion. I definitely agree with you that he is not giving his fullest (even me as a fan of him, its frustrating and wants to know why, whether it is because he is afraid to get a penalty where if he does, he will be benched for the rest of the game or he just isn't in it because his mind is elsewhere (because of COVID? friends?). It is definitely frustrating as I do hope a local plays hard for his local team and be successful.

In terms of your point of Jake improving slowly, he is definitely improving (albeit slowly) in the regular season but as mentioned, he is definitely been disappointing in this playoffs when a lot of people thinks he can excel. I think I read somewhere and also basing on his stats, he is a slow learner and takes time to adapt. I think it is his like 3rd year on the Hitmen before he scored 70+ points and it was his 4th playoffs with the Hitmen before he scored 13 points in 14 games. I think that's why he wasn't that good in tournaments such as World Juniors (although he had one decent World Juniors). However, I think the best way to do this is to hope Jake and his agent understands this and doesn't demand a ton of money (it is easier since he can literally give a hometown discount) and the Canucks sign him for a couple of years and decent priced until either Pods/Hogz or whoever else takes over his spot full time or he finally gets it. Because you never know with Pods/Hogz and also, for someone who can give us 18G/18A, signing him for a decent price is hard to find (although he is  frustrating at times).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Darkstar said:

0 pts in 7 playoff games is a bad look for Jake, who has apparently become much better offensively this season. Hopefully he has a strong showing in Games 5 and 6, but his laziness and lack of hockey IQ has been really put up front in these playoffs.

Well he had a strong showing in Game 5. Glad to eat my words for now. :towel:

Edited by Darkstar
  • Cheers 1

Finally showed up. We needed someone outside our primary scorers to score. Lack of scoring depth was an issue this series.

He tends to produce in bunches or disappear after a good game. Hopefully we get good streaky Jake.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Finally showed up. We needed someone outside our primary scorers to score. Lack of scoring depth was an issue this series.

He tends to produce in bunches or disappear after a good game. Hopefully we get good streaky Jake.

Hope he streaks for 13 more wins..hahah..=p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Game 5 of the STL series was Virtanen’s best game of his career so far.

Something clicked.

1G 1A

Love it.

What clicked was he played with actually offensively talented players tonight and got more than 8 minutes of ice time. People have this weird expectation that Jake should be creating point per game offense with guys like Beagle and Roussel, no shade on them but they are not threats in the ozone. He is not Pettersson or McDavid or Crosby that can create offence with anyone and everyone. He needs players that are at least equally as talented as himself. But that does not mean he is a passenger. He created that Miller goal with his forecheck and by causing havoc. His goal was just shooting talent. Great shot from a weird angle. Could argue there was a mix of luck there too. But it was a good shot from a good player. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

What clicked was he played with actually offensively talented players tonight and got more than 8 minutes of ice time. People have this weird expectation that Jake should be creating point per game offense with guys like Beagle and Roussel, no shade on them but they are not threats in the ozone. He is not Pettersson or McDavid or Crosby that can create offence with anyone and everyone. He needs players that are at least equally as talented as himself. But that does not mean he is a passenger. He created that Miller goal with his forecheck and by causing havoc. His goal was just shooting talent. Great shot from a weird angle. Could argue there was a mix of luck there too. But it was a good shot from a good player. 

That is not true. He is always criticized on his effort and rightfully so. Jake is very inconsistent. He showed us tonight what he can be regardless of points. He was skating well, engaged and making smart plays. The downside is that just as fast he can go back to not being an impact next game. Once he brings consistency in effort, no one will complain. He's already a 20/20 player and many are completely fine with that.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

He can do those even WITHOUT good players around him, thats what makes watching Jake frustrating at times. The numbers are nice, yes, but his physical ability is at least to be able to do THAT, contribute to the forecheck, causing turnovers, O - zone time etc. Good players just get him on the stat sheet. Even last game, he had a rush down the wing, just chipped it, and retrieve it, and they didn't score, but it led to a cycle, scoring chance and precious zone time in the Blues end. He should be doing that EVERY shift. Its sometimes comes to will. Good game for him though tonight, best performance yet in the bubble

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That is not true. He is always criticized on his effort and rightfully so. Jake is very inconsistent. He showed us tonight what he can be regardless of points. He was skating well, engaged and making smart plays. The downside is that just as fast he can go back to not being an impact next game. Once he brings consistency in effort, no one will complain. He's already a 20/20 player and many are completely fine with that.

Yup, look at Motte tonight, he got rewarded, but even without the 2 goals hes played unbelievable all through this series and against the Wild. He doesn't have Jakes size, or skating ability, but plays every shift to make a difference. Thats just purely on effort and determination. Thats what Jake can control within himself. Jake plays like that, I don't think anybody will be upset, the goals will come and it did for Motte tonight

• Cheers 2

Jake played well tonight. 

I think the biggest gripe that most fans have with Jake is his consistency. He can have a great night like tonight, and then on Friday  - he could be completely invisible. 

I hope that's not the case. I hope he brings it on Friday as well. 

I think Pettersson, Miller and Jake should at least start game 6 to see if what they got tonight, they have Friday . They deserve an extended look after tonight's performance, IMO. 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:04 AM, kloubek said:

Probably not, but if he stays, Green will have to put up with him for longer and he has GOTTA be near the end of his rope. A new coach and a realization that he needs to commit himself better to the craft if he wants to stay in the league might give him the kick in the pants needed to do so.

Jake's definitely got the talent to play in the league. that's without question. 

I think the frustrating thing for us fans is his consistency. Can play like tonight, a 2 point night, and then the next night he's completely nowhere to be found. 

Such a thin line that separates the good players from the great ones. Consistency, dedication and commitment to their craft of being the very best they can be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Jake needs icetime and gifted offensive players to play with in order to produce and be effective. 

He obviously ticked off his team and coaches enough to have barely played up until last nights match.

I also can't help but wonder if it's an attempt to control his upcoming contract?  

• Vintage 1

Big Jake had a very good game and I think Miller has a big influence on Jake..

I really hope big Jake Virtanen 6'1,220 with speed like a train coming down the track..Think of the fear he puts on any defence on the forecheck..

Jake if using his speed and size can make a big difference ..

Go Jake Go play another big game with lots of energy speed, banging bodies and take puck to net with your speed will cause rebounds and havoc..

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2