The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Wait to see what this turns out to actually be. As comparibles Iginla and Pyatt?!? Big fracking difference between those two. Kind of like saying tomorrow will be somewhere between hot and cold....

I don't see Pyatt as a comparison. Although Pyatt came into the league with some good skills, Jake plays with more passion and has an edge. That's the difference between a mediocre NHL player and a very good NHL player.

I hope Virtanane makes a big splash.... but can any one explain why or how his ranking was all over the map, some had him ranked 10th some had him ranked as low as 45th ? not a lot on unanimity

Some as in Craig Button? That dude's lists are wank, i'd take it with a grain of salt. Most lists had him going top 10.

I hope Virtanane makes a big splash.... but can any one explain why or how his ranking was all over the map, some had him ranked 10th some had him ranked as low as 45th ? not a lot on unanimity

The only list that had him that low was Button's and that guy is a meatstick. I think Button's April rankings had him at 6th as well, he just decided to rank him off the board and compare his play style to Torres... Like that's a bad thing.

He was consensus top 10 by experts opinions. He as ranked as high as 6 but most had him at 7/8. People forget he still has a huge X factor of being nearly a year younger than everyone in his draft class.

Edited by Ossi Vaananen

Some people just don't see his style translating aswell to the NHL as others do.

Some think he's a can't miss prospect that could be a, 1st line goal scorer with a physical edge & blazing speed.

Some think he could be a fast, 3rd line banger with a good shot, and that there are many better prospects available.

Just a matter of opinion really as far as rankings & how you think they will project. Just got to wait & see who's right.

If we can't find a future first line center in either Linden Vey, Cassels or the 2015 pick, we're going to have to trade away one of these big wingers because there's no point harvesting a bunch of decent top-6 forwards without a big strong, skilled first line center.

Kassian - ? - Shinkaruk

Jensen - Horvat - Virtanen

If we can't find a future first line center in either Linden Vey, Cassels or the 2015 pick, we're going to have to trade away one of these big wingers because there's no point harvesting a bunch of decent top-6 forwards without a big strong, skilled first line center.

Kassian - ? - Shinkaruk

Jensen - Horvat - Virtanen

You're seriously underrating McCann if you don't think he has the potential to be that guy.

Scouts have said he has serious untapped offensive skill. If he can find that this season in junior, I think he'll move up alot of people's depth charts.

• Upvote 3

I think McCann will be dead set to prove a lot of GM's wrong for passing on him and letting him slide; i'm expecting a big season from him.

I'm also pleased as punch that we got Virtanen.

Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1

I think McCann will be dead set to prove a lot of GM's wrong for passing on him and letting him slide; i'm expecting a big season from him.

I'm also pleased as punch that we got Virtanen.

Well at least we agree on that!

You're seriously underrating McCann if you don't think he has the potential to be that guy.

Scouts have said he has serious untapped offensive skill. If he can find that this season in junior, I think he'll move up alot of people's depth charts.

Duchene was the same thing. He didn't put up amazing numbers and was pretty small, but he had amazing offensive ability.

The fact he is only 17, WOW! Wait till he fills out a bit and starts getting stronger. He's Evander Kane with a higher ceiling imo...

Big Dreamer!!!! I like Virtanen, but a higher ceiling than a 4th overall pick that put up 30 goals in the NHL as a 20 year old. Thats some positivity! I want what you're smoking!

On a side note: Where are all these Pyatt comparisons coming from? That's a terrible comparison. The only similarity between the two is their draft number and their CHL point totals (sort of). That's where the similarities end. Different approach to the game completely; different skill sets completely. Plus Virtanen will never be 6'5 ;)

Big Dreamer!!!! I like Virtanen, but a higher ceiling than a 4th overall pick that put up 30 goals in the NHL as a 20 year old. Thats some positivity! I want what you're smoking!

On a side note: Where are all these Pyatt comparisons coming from? That's a terrible comparison. The only similarity between the two is their draft number and their CHL point totals (sort of). That's where the similarities end. Different approach to the game completely; different skill sets completely. Plus Virtanen will never be 6'5 ;)

whats kane done lately? You know who else is a 30 goal scorer? Booth. No one care what a player did 4 seasons ago.

Virtanen was on the team1040 earlier this morning (surprised noone mentioned it) but the one thing that really stood out for me was how composed he was doing interviews. He knows how to talk which is amazing cause he is still not even 18. Future captain material?

whats kane done lately? You know who else is a 30 goal scorer? Booth. No one care what a player did 4 seasons

What has he done lately? That over quoted sentence should never be used for someone who is only 22! You do know that when someone goes from 20 to 22 that it doesn't take 4 years right? And to throw Booth into the mix? NO player should ever be compared to Booth. Did you ever catch any of his interviews? Even Torts called him out for being weird.

That being said; I do see a lot of similarities in their on-ice game. However, I always thought Booth could have consistently put up those numbers if he had his head right. I don't see the mental warnings yet for Virtanen. I see a kid who is absolutely obsessed with the game of hockey, and has been his whole life.

Virtanen was on the team1040 earlier this morning (surprised noone mentioned it) but the one thing that really stood out for me was how composed he was doing interviews. He knows how to talk which is amazing cause he is still not even 18. Future captain material?

There's certainly something about him. He was an impact player at previous levels, and to do so at 17 in major junior is not only an accomplishment, but that he does it at his size and yet he's not like a big clumsy kid but has balance and coordination at the size he is. Also seems to have his head on straight, knows what he wants, and is motivated to go get it. Makes no pretentions about his shortcomings and what he needs to work on, too. Captain material or not, he looks like a winner.