The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That's because the kid is too worried to make a mistake.  That's a coaching issue.  He makes even one mistake, and turns over a puck, and his rear is stapled to the bench.  He needs to be ENCOURAGED to play freely, not discouraged by every shift.  WD must instill confidence in his players.  That's a coache's job, no?

I don't think you can absolutely blame WD in this matter. He complimented Virtanen even though Virt complained about him. WD even gave him a chance to be with Bo and Sven afterwards. 

If Jake could not handle the puck with composure, then hes not confident with his ability. Can't blame WD for everything not going with Virtanen. Bo was in the same place playing 10min a game when he was 19, he worked his butt off improving his defensive game to earn more ice time.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

That's because the kid is too worried to make a mistake.  That's a coaching issue.  He makes even one mistake, and turns over a puck, and his rear is stapled to the bench.  He needs to be ENCOURAGED to play freely, not discouraged by every shift.  WD must instill confidence in his players.  That's a coache's job, no?

I said pretty much this in the Tryamkin thread. Willie D must be wondering what he has to do to get this kid sent down to the AHL. As others have theorized, he's either hurt or too scared as you say. I think he needs a new coach for a while. It seems as though there's a disconnect between Jake and WD. Somebody needs to tell him to keep his stick on the ice and skate like the wind. That's all he needs to do. Stop playing like a positional robot and go after the puck every once in a while.

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Why would Green give him first line minutes?  The effort is clearly not there, he doesn't deserve anything, he clearly feels entitled to something for some reason.  Even if he did get first line minutes he would struggle big time, he's not even a top 6 player at the AHL level. The kid has been a completely dud so far and I just don't see any skills in him that make me think he can turn in to a top 6 player at this level.  

He's a top 10 draft pick. He's a bull on skates, he doesn't need to start on the 4th line in the AHL and work his way up ffs... he's not a 2way player so he doesn't need to learn how to shutdown opponents on the 4th line. He needs to go down to Utica and play top 6 mins. Even if he's not producing for a while he needs to have that confidence return to his game. No other way to do it, unless you want to see the kid fail, which I called you out on before but you insisted that you don't.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I sit down and watch every Canuck game, I'm pretty sure I would prefer it if we had a good young product.  I'm just saying if he puts in the same effort in the AHL as he does in Vancouver then how could anybody expect him to get top 6 minutes?  I don't want him to fail I just don't think he is going the be much of a player for us and why should I think differently?  Just because he was drafted 6th overall?  

Because he's a young Canucks player and could use your support. At least if you don't want to show support, stop spewing off negativity. Everywhere I look I see you trashing him. That's not helpful in any way, and despite what you say, it doesn't show belief in a young player. And it doesn't mean you're a "realist", it just means you can't see potential. None of us are saying he's playing great right now, but some of us are still choosing to look at his potential.

What tells me that you're expecting him to fail is you assuming that he's going down to the AHL and not showing any improvement.

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I sit down and watch every Canuck game, I'm pretty sure I would prefer it if we had a good young product.  I'm just saying if he puts in the same effort in the AHL as he does in Vancouver then how could anybody expect him to get top 6 minutes?  I don't want him to fail I just don't think he is going the be much of a player for us and why should I think differently?  Just because he was drafted 6th overall?  

Wasn't Skille picked 8th in his draft year?  Rather ironic he takes JV's spot in the lineup?

Just now, The 5th Line said:

I can't see potential?  What I said 2 years ago is the exact thing that is happening right now..Nylander is a star and Virtanen is struggling mightily.  

Expecting and wanting are two different things.  

And I bet you wish your prognostications were wrong, right?

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Because Green has stated many times that his job is to coach players into the NHL. Jake would be one of the youngest, fastest, hardest shooting and hitting players. Green wouldn't have a choice, but to play him on the 1st line. WD has made it clear that he thinks players should just know how to play hockey. It's Willies fault if he couldn't get that kid to play. Send him to Travis Green please Benning.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Of course I do.  It's just beyond frustrating

Me too:(

As a fan since day one, I see too much of the first 30 seasons in this current team.  We cannot afford misses at the draft, especially since we don't have as many picks as other rebuilding teams.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Jake isn't even in shape for crying out loud.  Even if Green wanted to give him 1st line minutes he wouldn't be able to

C'mon man. He isn't playing winded, he's playing scared. For him the easiest play is get it deep and go for a change. He's playing in order to not get sent down instead of playing to make a nice play. The way he is looking in all directions and playing position instead of the puck, shows a commitment to structure that is killing offense of any kind. The whole team is playing that way.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

C'mon man. He isn't playing winded, he's playing scared. For him the easiest play is get it deep and go for a change. He's playing in order to not get sent down instead of playing to make a nice play. The way he is looking in all directions and playing position instead of the puck, shows a commitment to structure that is killing offense of any kind. The whole team is playing that way.

BINGO. 

bye bye Willie D.  Back to the farm you go, so you can roll in the snow.  :lol:

32 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I can't see potential?  What I said 2 years ago is the exact thing that is happening right now..Nylander is a star and Virtanen is struggling mightily.  

Expecting and wanting are two different things.  

Nylander isn't on this team...

Ah screw it, this is futile.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, meh_wassup said:

Because he's a young Canucks player and could use your support. At least if you don't want to show support, stop spewing off negativity. Everywhere I look I see you trashing him. That's not helpful in any way, and despite what you say, it doesn't show belief in a young player. And it doesn't mean you're a "realist", it just means you can't see potential. None of us are saying he's playing great right now, but some of us are still choosing to look at his potential.

What tells me that you're expecting him to fail is you assuming that he's going down to the AHL and not showing any improvement.

He's an adult in a professional sports league, not your child in kindergarten and it's not like he's sifting through CDC getting the feels reading through this thread.

He was gifted a spot last year despite being outplayed by numerous players. He didn't do a good job justifying it other than a span of 3 weeks when it was garbage time.

He played an average camp this year and still made the team despite having no more NHL/CHL dilemma. Just because Benning shoved a kid who's not NHL ready down WD's throat doesn't mean WD has to make Benning look good by playing him a lot. He's painfully not NHL ready and the funny thing is that it's not his hockey IQ or defensive play that's the root cause of the problem, it's his surprising lack of intensity. He plays the game with a 6/10 intensity. The funny thing is everyone calls guys like Nylander or Marner girls and suggest they aren't any good because they think those players are above putting in the work because they'll chip a nail while not realizing JV puts in even less in both ends of the ice.

You know why Tkachuk and Bennett are such good players. Those kids put in the work. Both are incredibly talented, but their motor is top notch and they play with the same kind of intensity grinders like Burrows and Hansen do. It's why they're gonna be successful in this league even if they don't end up reaching their full potentials.

Edited by ghjffbali
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Simply put, there are some on this board that will not be satisfied until Jake is literally run out of town. 

Why do you take so much offense to when anyone points out anything wrong with the team?

How is that in anyway trying to run Jake out of town? It's just the reality and truth. Jake is barely hanging on as a NHLer atm. What's wrong with saying that? Lol

• Upvote 2

From all accounts, it seems Jake is destined to be a 3rd line grinder. Apparently some reports show that he lacks the work ethic that Bo has, which is disappointing since JB said he would only draft "character guys"

If anything, his performance in the WJC showed what he is. First year in WJC, he starts on McDavids line, but has no IQ and by the time the tourney ends, he is on the 4th line. Second WJC is his chance to shine and instead he takes some immature and stupid penalties and gets blasted on the front page in Canada and that team lost due to some petulant players (him and Strome). 

He seems to be immature, lacking in ability to read the play, and most importantly has the work ethic of an entitled punk.

I remember Kesler struggling badly during his first 3 years, but he always had an incredible work ethic and the drive needed to improve. 

This kid has none of those "intangibles"

6 hours ago, meh_wassup said:

Nylander isn't on this team...

Ah screw it, this is futile.

What does that have to do with what he posted? @The 5th Line has been one of the most vocal of Jake's critics since he was drafted, and I remember him being flamed hard for his opinion. With the passage of time he has been proven right and I am sure that gives him no satisfaction as a Canucks fan but its hard to fault him for feeling vindicated considering how much criticism and personal attacks he took for expressing a mere opinion. I can say that if I were in his position I would be throwing it in the face of the people who threw insults but he has refrained from doing that.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Simply put, there are some on this board that will not be satisfied until Jake is literally run out of town. 

Jake is running himself out of town, right down to Utica. Showed up to camp not in shape then criticized the coach publicly for not giving him minutes. I don't know if you heard Tomlinson on the pre-game show a few days ago talking about Jake's lack of commitment, basically he is the last guy to get on the ice and the first to get off. He is lucky Willie is on thin ice, otherwise any other coach would have ripped him a new one one in the media for not showing enough on or off the ice to deserve any more playing time.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 3