The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

9 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He lacks hockey IQ for sure

He's certainly no Sedin but his 'lack of hockey IQ' gets overstated on here IMO. His hockey IQ is 'average' not 'poor'.

His biggest hurdles are maturity and becoming a pro (working far harder than he's ever had to to play with pace and attack, consistently).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay that's fair but please name me a player who has less than average hockey IQ? 

Dorsett would probably qualify. @ForsbergTheGreat posted a pretty good example/description last page actually:

Guys with average or below average IQ aren't necessarily going to drive a line. They're there to bring some mix of energy, speed, physicality, a shot and generally compliment the guys who do the 'creating'. If they're skilled enough, they can do quite well there in complimentary roles.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Okay but if Jake has average hockey IQ then I would expect you to be able to provide me a decent sized list of players who have less hockey IQ than him and I highly doubt you could do that.  I'm not asking you to do that because obviously it would take a lot of work but if you tried I doubt you would succeed.  There is no way you can consider Jake as being someone who has average hockey IQ IMO 

Yeah, I'm not doing that much work :lol: Particularly for something completely subjective.

But there's a pretty big group of below average 'Dorsett's' or average IQ guys out there. Most of the guys who play simple, un-nuanced games would fall in the average to below average IQ range.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm looking at Jake now, with this lower IQ stuff in mind.  Doesn't that lower IQ (hockey Q) suggest he will take longer to "learn" the pro game?  Brighter players obviously pick up on things quicker than Jake, and that's fine.  Jake will get it, but it really makes sense, that for him, it will take longer.  Thinking this way, I actually feel more confident he will figure things out.  He's just a bit slow on the uptake, that's all.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say!  Some people are measuring him against other guys who have clearly "picked it up" quicker than Jake.  But Jake isn't them, and that's okay.  Jake is a unique player in his own, and if it does sink in for him he will be a solid NHL player that any team would love to have.  It's all up to Jake though and if he's got the commitment to make it happen.  The whole, "he's limited to the 4th line because he's as dumb as a brick" rhetoric is getting pretty old.

Edited by The Sedge
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Hockey is situational, every situation is different, you can't practice every situation.  Sometimes on a 2 on 1 the best play is to shoot, sometimes it's to pass, sometimes it's to delay and wait for the 3 man coming in.  It's instincts that can't be taught or learned, just born with..  It's like common sense, not everyone is born with it.     

You can't practice every situation, no.  But you can practice a lot of them, and that's what practices are for.  The more times you practice 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's etc., the more natural it feels in a game situation.  You think someone with high hockey IQ (let's say McDavid) just woke up one morning and was a brilliant hockey player?  No, without even looking I'm guessing the guy has played hockey his whole life and practiced the hell out of it until these things started to come naturally to him.

Now your point about common sense, there's something I can agree with.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

He's certainly no Sedin but his 'lack of hockey IQ' gets overstated on here IMO. His hockey IQ is 'average' not 'poor'.

His biggest hurdles are maturity and becoming a pro (working far harder than he's ever had to to play with pace and attack, consistently).

What's your reasoning for his IQ being average? His play seems to suggest that it's below average, at least for the NHL level.

• Upvote 3

Just the facts man. Jake is still the youngest player on the team. That's what 3 out of the last 5 years of his career? http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=15223&order=Age&year0=

Now he carries his own bag and has a different group of players to look up to. There's no way this kid will bust so stow your worry. There is lots for this kid to learn and lots of time to do it.

5 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

You seem to have the time to trash multiple prospects and our scouts daily though. Maybe invest what little time you have into something more productive. 

I imagine if he was capable of doing anything more productive, he would. For some people, annoying as many other people as possible is as good as it gets.

Just now, HomeBrew said:

Fuel for the fire: Utica loses 1-2 in OT against Springfield - Virtanen on for both goals against. 

Heavy!!!

Right when I was going to chime in with some positivity...

Well, all I can say now is I'm going to scoop up some of his cards on ebay while they're the cheapest they'll be.

$25-40 cards going for .99

I understand that Jake will take his own time to become a pro like players with unique attributes similar to his. I'm okay with that. It's crazy how a BC boy whos played at the high levels of hockey and is an exciting prospect gets so much flack. I also understand our jersey is an Orca. 70% of you  are a bunch of flounders. Y'all flounderin

15 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Fuel for the fire: Utica loses 1-2 in OT against Springfield - Virtanen on for both goals against. 

5 players are on the ice generally when a goal was scored, if you just want to troll you say he was one of them, but if you want to be accurate you say whether or not he was involved in allowing them be scored. So, was he at least a part of the reason why the goals happened?

6 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

5 players are on the ice generally when a goal was scored, if you just want to troll you say he was one of them, but if you want to be accurate you say whether or not he was involved in allowing them be scored. So, was he at least a part of the reason why the goals happened?

He turned the puck over after he lost a battle behind his own net which lead to a goal in OT. 

Edited by Odd.

8 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Jake was to blame for the OT winner so that's all that matters. He snapped his stick over his knee on the way off of the ice, so he knows what just happened. I guarantee Green puts him out there in OT next time too. It's the way that it works in the AHL. 

Edited by canuckledraggin

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Jake was to blame for the OT winner so that's all that matters. He snapped his stick over his knee on the way off of the ice, so he knows what just happened. I guarantee Green puts him out there in OT next time too. It's the way that it works in the AHL. 

It's good Jake realizes his mistakes.  That's all part of his showings signs he's learning, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's good Jake realizes his mistakes.  That's all part of his showings signs he's learning, isn't it?

Are you admitting he's capable of learning? That's a contentious issue around these parts. Apparently his brain was completely full at birth and he will never learn anything ever again.

• Upvote 3